GDPR and SEATCUPRA.NET

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Hi all,

We are making some changes as a result of GDPR and would like to be as transparent with our community as possible. These are in progress at the moment so this thread will be a running update of what we have done so far and what we plan to do.

Currently we have taken the following steps:
  1. Upgraded the forum software which makes it GDPR compliant for all new registrations.
  2. Wiped all member's dates of birth from the database, removed requirement on new registration
  3. Remove Google Analytics integration
  4. Removed Facebook Share/Like button
  5. New registrations have to opt-in to receive email notifications (previously on by default)
  6. Removed requirement to say "what you drive" upon registration and how you found SEATCUPRA.NET (the latter not really GDPR, but we don't need the data by default)
Still to do:
  1. Merge Terms and Privacy from the News site with the forums
  2. Notify all members of updated final terms and privacy
  3. Review, but likely disable Tapatalk support (as many other large forums have done)

Scott

Last edited:

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
GDPR has hit big at my work as well, can sort of see where they are coming from but it's a massive pain in the butt!

Good luck lol

Edit.
Erm not sure if I'm supposed to reply so delete this if needs be.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
It's been amazing watching all the emails come through from places I don't want to subscribe to anymore that I can just ignore again lol

So Tapatalk are going down the john then... Shame, but not that it matters as the website is now much better using mobile view.

Cheers

Deleted member 103408

Be glad when its all over my inbox is suffering with all the companies asking for me to be there friend.

Dont use Tapatalk anymore but just out of interest why may you have to drop them, My understanding of GDPR is that it affected all companies anywhere in the world if they target European clients.
Also if you do drop them what happens to all the pictures that users have posted via Tapatalk do they carry on working.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Many have dropped Tapatalk due to lack of confidence in how their member's data is used. I'm unlikely to have time / legal knowledge to know whether they will be compliant enough for us before the deadline. So safest to remove support until the dust has settled. Can always reenable in the future.

Now the site works so well on mobile it's not as necessary.

I'd imagine the pictures would stay.

Scott

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Many have dropped Tapatalk due to lack of confidence in how their member's data is used. I'm unlikely to have time / legal knowledge to know whether they will be compliant enough for us before the deadline. So safest to remove support until the dust has settled. Can always reenable in the future.

Now the site works so well on mobile it's not as necessary.

I'd imagine the pictures would stay.

Scott

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Site is much better now. But I sometimes still get Tapatalk popups asking if I want to open the page in Tapatalk. How do I stop the popups. Is this something that needs to be updated at your end?

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Site is much better now. But I sometimes still get Tapatalk popups asking if I want to open the page in Tapatalk. How do I stop the popups. Is this something that needs to be updated at your end?

We've not completely binned Tapatalk (although it's currently broken), they believe they are now GDPR compliant and we've installed the necessary update, however it's bust. @m0rk is going to see if he can fix it when he gets a chance.

If we can't get it to work we'll remove it so the popups will stop.

Scott

Reactions: seatgraham

Deleted member 103408

Thanks for the update, do you have the ability to add a notification bar on the home page so you can share this sort of info with the whole site easily.

I use this on one of the forums I am a admin on as a quick way to tell people when stuff dont work or has been updated without the need to send lots of emails / messages

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 22.33.36.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 22.33.36.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 118

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Thanks for the update, do you have the ability to add a notification bar on the home page so you can share this sort of info with the whole site easily.

I use this on one of the forums I am a admin on as a quick way to tell people when stuff dont work or has been updated without the need to send lots of emails / messages

31000 people are about to get an email :crash::runaway:

We've got other announcement options too.

Scott

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net

Like how you've blocked the forum name to be anonymous, hopefully not because it's a dogging community :think::blink:;)

Deleted member 103408

No nothing dodgy, just did not think it was right to advertise another site on this one.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
31000 people are about to get an email :crash::runaway:

We've got other announcement options too.

Scott
Thanks for the updates.
The ones where you must read an admin post to continue using the site? Or else!
That does the job

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Thanks for the updates.
The ones where you must read an admin post to continue using the site? Or else!
That does the job

There's a setting to enforce all members to accept the updated privacy notice - I think it's a new feature they added - not sure exactly how it works so going to look at that tomorrow, don't want to pee people off, another GDPR email will do that though I'm sure :)

Scott

Deleted member 103408

Yes please no more emails if we can avoid it, i get enough of those already, on the bright side a load businesses are no longer going to talk to me (if it works the way its supposed to)

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Yes please no more emails if we can avoid it, i get enough of those already, on the bright side a load businesses are no longer going to talk to me (if it works the way its supposed to)
Should work fine for most. It’s the companies who will totally ignore GDPR or just aren’t clued up who are more likely to (continue to) cause issues.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
I just got mine, which reminded me to sign in.

"Wiped all member's dates of birth from the database, removed requirement on new registration" - my profile still has my DOB on it. I also can't clear some of the fields from my profile (i.e. location, occupation, what I drive) because when I try to save the page it fails validation. Even though in Dev Tools, XenForo says all the fields are Okay...

Thanks, I'll flag that with the devs who made the changes.