How to remove Cupra R Factory Spoiler?

Gagwithgaffer

May 28, 2013
North Yorkshire
Hello All,

I am interested in fitting the RDX rear spoiler for my Mk2 Cupra R 2012.

1349_0.jpg

However the RDX Team advise that I would need to remove the factory fitted spoiler before fitting the new one.

Attached images shows my factory spoiler:

Can anyone please advise on any instructions/guides and how easy or difficult it is to do this?

Also I cant really tell how the tail break light is attached and whether removing the spoiler (assume black plastic) would affect the fitment of the tail light?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• ScreenClip000011.jpg
    ScreenClip000011.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 136
  • ScreenClip000015.jpg
    ScreenClip000015.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 216
  • ScreenClip000013.jpg
    ScreenClip000013.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 171

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
The "R" has a spoiler extension already fitted. From the looks of the pic, its only the extension you need to remove. So some solvent and a sharp blade. But from what I've read, there will likely be some loss of paint.

In the pic below, the black part of the spoiler is part of the car, this is where the 3rd brake light is fitted. The red part is an extension which if you look at FRs and non R Cupra's, they don't have.

TDgvx6h.jpg

Gagwithgaffer

May 28, 2013
North Yorkshire
Hi Mate, thanks for your reply. So I take it that the red plastic trim you have was simply stuck on with some form of adhesive? no screws/bolts etc?

I may ask the body shop to remove and fit the new one, they'll likely ask me for further details, thanks in advance

DannyallenFR

Feb 16, 2018
Hi Mate, thanks for your reply. So I take it that the red plastic trim you have was simply stuck on with some form of adhesive? no screws/bolts etc?

I may ask the body shop to remove and fit the new one, they'll likely ask me for further details, thanks in advance
Mate once you have it off send me a msg if you are selling it I will take it off your hands

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015

Well. Mine came with some cheapo glue in the kit. Which is supposed to be pretty easy to get off. But I used tiger seal instead. But ye, it's glued on .

Gagwithgaffer

May 28, 2013
North Yorkshire
I've just been looking at some other forums and utube vids, many people seem to find using dental floss helps to slice through the adhesive without damaging the paint work, applying a little heat with a gun on low setting or hair dryer before hand...

New spolier ordered, OEM side skirts ordered so a few little projects coming up. Likely to get my local bodyshop to do the work, but might save on labor if I can get the old unit off and have it all ready for them to fit.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.