DPF, what are my options?

Rockhopper

Jun 13, 2018
Hi, first time post here, so please be gentle!
I have a 57 plate Leon FR diesel, owned from new, now 130,000 miles
The car has had dpf issues nearly all its life, and the dpf was replaced under warranty.
The car has not been serviced by SEAT for years, although it does get a annual service from a local garage at mot time.
Recently the dpf has been coming on more frequently, I'm well practiced in getting the car to do a manual regeneration, spirited drive keep revs at 3000, and normally the car will go a few months before coming back on again.
I'm about to do the 2nd regeneration in 2 weeks, is the dpf knackered, an i heading for a big bill? What are my options?
Thanks
RH

iNeoTom

Mar 21, 2017
Have you recently changed were you fill up? Low quality fuel i.e. supermarket fuel, non premium diesel makes my DPF go off without fail i now keep to using Shell V-Power Diesel, BP Ultimate etc...

iNeoTom

Rockhopper

Jun 13, 2018
Haven't changed, car has always been run on a mixture of supermarket and local garage fuel.
I managed to get the dpf to regenerate last night, but it took a longer run than it used to.
Does the increased frequently of regeneration and the increased time to regenerate indicate that the dpf is end of life?
Should i get a Vagcom cable and try manual regeneration?

DannyallenFR

Feb 16, 2018
Haven't changed, car has always been run on a mixture of supermarket and local garage fuel.
I managed to get the dpf to regenerate last night, but it took a longer run than it used to.
Does the increased frequently of regeneration and the increased time to regenerate indicate that the dpf is end of life?
Should i get a Vagcom cable and try manual regeneration?
I had mine do a regen 3 times in 2 weeks you should only be sitting at around 2000rpm and it will kick in. I have had mine in SEAT and they also forced a regen to clear out what was left been fine since, there are companies that wash out a dpf now too take it from both nearest joins and jet it out. I now give my car a good run every weekend and never come back.

andycupra

status subject to change
what's your typical journey? ie do you drive little and often, (short trips)
what speeds, does the car get up to temperature etc etc.
Is it remapped?

However, on a basic level, regenerations becoming more regular and taking longer when they do take place does indicate the DPF is becoming increasingly clogged.
When it does regenerate, are you always aware? and complete the regeneration?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Quite alot of companies around that offer refurbishment services, usually you send them the unit.

You want to ask why it's clogging more often, have you got any boost leaks or issues with injectors?
Do you do alot of town/city driving or short journys?

Rockhopper

Jun 13, 2018
Thanks for the replys.
Yes the car does alot of short journey's, i know its not ideal, but my wife uses it for the school run.
The injectors were subject to a re call from Seat a few years ago.
I don't know if its connected, but fuel economy is pretty bad, i know its a 2 ltr sporty model, but mpg can be pretty grim at times.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Yea sounds like you've been slowly killing it from day one, chances are the DPF, EGR, ASV, inlet manifold and associated pipework are pretty badly sludged up.
You bought a motorway cruiser when you needed a city-car.

It might be best to bump it on now before it really breaks and the repair bills get astronomical.
Don't buy another diesel car, you'll have all the same problems and then some.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.