Resonated vs Non Res

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Afternoon All,

Just wanting some feedback before I buy myself a cat back system for my Cupra R...

This car isn't a daily driver and I don't have any babies to wake up but I am still torn between the non res and resonated versions I see videos of...

My question is...

If you bought a resonated or non res do you wish that you went for the other after it was installed...

Cheers

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
When I was looking to buy an exhaust alot of places advised Milltek, but then I read quite a few reviews saying it barely sounds any different unless you are giving it full throttle.

I ended up buying a Non Res Scorpion because spending £500 I wanted to actually hear a difference, its fine for normal driving and not obnoxious, but definitely way louder and a different noise than standard (Even though standard is pretty much no noise at all).

Longer motorway journeys it does get a bit droney though, if you do long motoway trips I would go Res, otherwise get all the noise all the time. :)

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
When I was looking to buy an exhaust alot of places advised Milltek, but then I read quite a few reviews saying it barely sounds any different unless you are giving it full throttle.

I ended up buying a Non Res Scorpion because spending £500 I wanted to actually hear a difference, its fine for normal driving and not obnoxious, but definitely way louder and a different noise than standard (Even though standard is pretty much no noise at all).

Longer motorway journeys it does get a bit droney though, if you do long motoway trips I would go Res, otherwise get all the noise all the time. :)
Thanks for your reply :)

I barely go anywhere in it but if I am going somewhere my other half is with me so I'm wondering if it will annoy her... But then again it's my car haha My Cupra R has quite a bit of noise currently when booting it, I'm just unsure on how much more I'll get from a non res...

Is it headache droney or just you hear it a bit more? I could put in some sound proofing to deaden it a little I guess if it's too loud.

Do you know how long it took your garage to fit your exhaust?

Cheers

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Thanks for your reply :)

I barely go anywhere in it but if I am going somewhere my other half is with me so I'm wondering if it will annoy her... But then again it's my car haha My Cupra R has quite a bit of noise currently when booting it, I'm just unsure on how much more I'll get from a non res...

Is it headache droney or just you hear it a bit more? I could put in some sound proofing to deaden it a little I guess if it's too loud.

Do you know how long it took your garage to fit your exhaust?

Cheers

Its not like racecar fill the cabin noisey but if you are travelling a constant speed then it just drones, annoys me most driving on the motorway home with a hangover. The noise is just a like a deeper burble all the time but its not loud enough to give you a headache. When you red line in the low gears it really makes a nice racket haha. I think Resonated basically only gives you that noise when you are hammering it though, thats why I found it pointless going resonated unless you are going for an exhaust upgrade with a whole stage 1 map or something.

The Cupra R exhausts are quite alot more expensive than the twin side exit ones though, maybe you are better keeping the standard exhaust and going sport cat, its probably cheaper than the Cupra R cat back and you are going to get a proper performance upgrade.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
That sounds doable I think, I think Non Res is the way forward, through someone on here i've been pointed towards Jetex which seem pretty good and reasonably cheap in comparison.

Jetex Performance Exhaust.jpg

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
That sounds doable I think, I think Non Res is the way forward, through someone on here i've been pointed towards Jetex which seem pretty good and reasonably cheap in comparison.

View attachment 836

Yea thats probably about the same what mine was but add fitting to it, suppose when I was looking at R exhausts for mine I had to factor in the rear valance as well.

Like I said though a sports cat will still change the noise but also add performance, a cat back doesn't really make a noticeable performance upgrade, just a deeper noise.

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-car/seat/leon-mk2-1p/milltek-downpipe-options-leon-mk2-cupra-r/

Although that says needs Stage 2, alot of people said the CEL light doesn't come on with a sports cat so you don't need the stage 2 map on to delete it.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Yea thats probably about the same what mine was but add fitting to it, suppose when I was looking at R exhausts for mine I had to factor in the rear valance as well.

Like I said though a sports cat will still change the noise but also add performance, a cat back doesn't really make a noticeable performance upgrade, just a deeper noise.

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-car/seat/leon-mk2-1p/milltek-downpipe-options-leon-mk2-cupra-r/

Although that says needs Stage 2, alot of people said the CEL light doesn't come on with a sports cat so you don't need the stage 2 map on to delete it.
Yeah the Cat is on the list but I probably will do that for the Stage 2 map, this is just prep work so I have the full system eventually.. Also I'm tired of trying to polish my current one to no avail haha

I'm assuming a couple of hours for fitting so maybe £600 tops...

Cheers

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
What about a silencer delete? Exhaust is really only advised on stage 2 onwards really . Even then at stage 2 the main requirement is sports/decat

Thatl save the pennys and add a bit more noise

I had a 3" turbo back with a decat and i had 1 small resonator (made no difference)...
It was loud and proud but i felt as though it didnt make much difference on the bum dyno it just reduced lag a little bit

bagged fr , k1 rep , 19s

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
What about a silencer delete? Exhaust is really only advised on stage 2 onwards really . Even then at stage 2 the main requirement is sports/decat

Thatl save the pennys and add a bit more noise

I had a 3" turbo back with a decat and i had 1 small resonator (made no difference)...
It was loud and proud but i felt as though it didnt make much difference on the bum dyno it just reduced lag a little bit

bagged fr , k1 rep , 19s
Interesting, this could be an idea...

I wasn't really in it for the extra power etc I just want the deep noise and a nice soundtrack when booting it.

I could get the anti lift kit, lower engine mount, PCV and diverter valve instead... Along with no small silencer...

Cheers

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
Interesting, this could be an idea...

I wasn't really in it for the extra power etc I just want the deep noise and a nice soundtrack when booting it.

I could get the anti lift kit, lower engine mount, PCV and diverter valve instead... Along with no small silencer...

Cheers
My most noticeable mods i did (apart from the remap)

Yellow powerflex insert
Rev g diverter

Im still confident on the lower arm bushes are solid on cupra models mate id look into that as previously mentioned

But yeah get the smaller silencer removed and give it a try remember you also have a cat and precat still in along with the back box

bagged fr , k1 rep , 19s

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
My most noticeable mods i did (apart from the remap)

Yellow powerflex insert
Rev g diverter

Im still confident on the lower arm bushes are solid on cupra models mate id look into that as previously mentioned

But yeah get the smaller silencer removed and give it a try remember you also have a cat and precat still in along with the back box

bagged fr , k1 rep , 19s
I read mixed reviews if the anti lift kit does anything but people either say it's awesome or don't bother lol

The powerflex insert is that the lower engine mount?

I'll have a word with my garage to see when they can fit me in to have a look at the silencer... I'm assuming £100 with labour to weld a pipe in...

Cheers

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
I read mixed reviews if the anti lift kit does anything but people either say it's awesome or don't bother lol

The powerflex insert is that the lower engine mount?

I'll have a word with my garage to see when they can fit me in to have a look at the silencer... I'm assuming £100 with labour to weld a pipe in...

Cheers
Yeah the dog bone insert you actually realise how much movement was there feels alot more solid to drive

Surely there's a custom exhaust place near to you bud

bagged fr , k1 rep , 19s

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Yeah the dog bone insert you actually realise how much movement was there feels alot more solid to drive

Surely there's a custom exhaust place near to you bud

bagged fr , k1 rep , 19s
Nearest custom exhaust place to me is an hour each way lol I live in the sticks!

OK so the insert is a definite, the PCV and Rev G along with the standard cam follower are pretty much a must for the stage 1 according to R-Tech.

How does a sports cat change mot pass rate lol

Cheers

RnPnJ

Apr 3, 2015
I've got a full BCS prestige system on my R including a decat,it's quiet on idle, but sounds savage when she comes on boost. I had a 100cel sports cat which needed to be warmed up work for it to work.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I've got a full BCS prestige system on my R including a decat,it's quiet on idle, but sounds savage when she comes on boost. I had a 100cel sports cat which needed to be warmed up work for it to work.
Did you get that fitted as a package or did you start with the cat back then add the rest?

I like the noise to be loud but not over the top if that makes sense lol

How does the 100 cell go through mots?

Cheers

RnPnJ

Apr 3, 2015
It came with a custom downpipe and 100 vel cat that you had to drive I'm 2nd gear all the way to the MOT station to make sure it was sufficiently hot for it to pass emissions. If the cats not hot then it won't pass emissions.

The BCS full system was done as a package. Iirc £1300 which included the powerflex dog bone mount.
BCS is prefect on the motorway. No complaints from my wife or 3 year old boy.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
It came with a custom downpipe and 100 vel cat that you had to drive I'm 2nd gear all the way to the MOT station to make sure it was sufficiently hot for it to pass emissions. If the cats not hot then it won't pass emissions.

The BCS full system was done as a package. Iirc £1300 which included the powerflex dog bone mount.
BCS is prefect on the motorway. No complaints from my wife or 3 year old boy.

Ideally I'd like a straight pass on an mot without fearing the cat might not be warm enough, with a 200 cell I assume that would pass more easily.

Thanks for your help so far

Cheers

RnPnJ

Apr 3, 2015
200 cel will pass straight away. But is also very restrictive so you may want to bare that in mind when you go for mapping.

Reactions: Jimbobcook

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
The exhaust fitting took less than an hour, the indy I used ordered the exhaust in and fitted it £500 all in.

200 Cel sports cat passes MOT, most places only do decat and 200 cel sports cat, obviously decat you need to find a 'Friendly' MOT centre and hope VOSA never pull you.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
I've had a BCS sport system with their 200 cell cat (flows 95% of a decat so no losses and passes MOT = win/win). Had both resonated and non-resonated options. Noticeable difference between the two, resonated is only very slightly louder than the standard exhaust. Non-resonated is LOUD.
I will actually have the system up for sale in the next week or so, but it has the normal left hand Cupra tailpipe

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.