Strange Mark on Paintwork

almas09

Jul 31, 2017
Hi All,

Just washed my Cupra over the weekend and came across a mark near the rear passenger side door. Tried to wipe it off with Meg's quick detailer after the wash but wouldn't clear at all. Any ideas on what it might be?

image1%201_zpse4ynufk9.jpeg

image2_zpsqo0qcf0u.jpeg

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Looks like some kind of etching, I’d try a clay bar or perhaps a light paint restorer and see if that works.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Could it be a very acidic bird dump that was there before the wash?

I’ve seen it before where if left on the paint for a fair while, it can cause some marks like you’ve got

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Looks like some kind of etching.

It does look like severe etching of the lacquer coat caused by bird poo.

I doubt that claying will improve it - claying will remove embedded contaminants, but if it’s the lacquered surface that’s etched, there’s nothing embedded to remove.

Machine polishing with an appropriate combination of pad and polish should remove it - that’s assuming you are dealing with etching. I’ve successfully corrected quite a large area of etching caused by a pigeon using my car for target practice on a very hot sunny day. The pigeon poo baked hard on the car (was only on the car for no more than a 1/2 hour), and after soaking it and carefully removing it, there was some serious etching. After 15-20 minutes with my DA polisher, all signs of etching were removed.

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
It does look like severe etching of the lacquer coat caused by bird poo.

I doubt that claying will improve it - claying will remove embedded contaminants, but if it’s the lacquered surface that’s etched, there’s nothing embedded to remove.

Machine polishing with an appropriate combination of pad and polish should remove it - that’s assuming you are dealing with etching. I’ve successfully corrected quite a large area of etching caused by a pigeon using my car for target practice on a very hot sunny day. The pigeon poo baked hard on the car (was only on the car for no more than a 1/2 hour), and after soaking it and carefully removing it, there was some serious etching. After 15-20 minutes with my DA polisher, all signs of etching were removed.
As SRGTD says and my own experience suggests, machine polishing is probably the only way you'll remove the etching.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.