Failed on emissions today and it takes some oil

oklos

Jul 10, 2018
Hi

Firstly I would like to welcome everyone as it's my first post. I hope someone would point me in the right direction.

The car is Ibiza 1.2 12V with 77k miles

So today my car failed badly ( i think ) with readings of:

Fast idle test:
CO max 0.30% had 0.51% FAIL
HC max 200ppm had 33ppm PASS
Lambda 0.97-1.03 had 0.99 FAIL

Second fast test:
CO max 0.30% had 1.91% FAIL
HC max 200ppm had 78ppm PASS
Lambda 0.97-1.03 had 0.94 FAIL

Natural idle test:
CO max 0.50% had 0.48% PASS

I know there is an ongoing problem with loosing oil at least since 50k as there was an invoice for investigating it and nothing was found.

Cant see any leaks or drips in the mornings where it was parked so I assume it's burning it however there is no smoke coming out. There was a bit today during the test but it didn't look abnormal and was more white then blue. I noticed that the spark plugs had black soot on them not sure when they where replaced last time.

Hope someone could shed some light on it.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Have you read fault codes and live data with VCDS?

If you've no idea when the spark plugs were replaced it sounds like the car needs a thorough service.
Lambda sensor probably wants replacing, maybe the coolant temp sensor too but plug the car in first and see what comes up.

oklos

Jul 10, 2018
Thank you for your reply. I don't have access to VCDS but I plugged in some basic code reader and the following was on there p0172 which now isn't coming up after I attached some air pipe that goes to the air box now the only other is p1250 which comes and goes without clearing it or restarting the car basically when I check for codes usually there are non but sometimes the p1250 comes up and then goes off. If I go back to starting menu on the reader and then read the codes again usually it's gone.

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
17658/P1250 - Fuel Level too Low
Possible Symptoms
  • Engine difficult to start
Possible Causes
  • Low fuel
  • Malfunction in fuel level sender(s)
Possible Solutions
  • Verify fuel level and add fuel as necessary
  • If the fuel gauge does not reflect the true fuel level, check and repair fuel level sender(s)
Special Notes
  • On some vehicles, this fault may persist even after fuel is added. A test drive of 16 km / 10 mi may be required in order to clear the fault. Ref: Volkswagen CTT 20-16-02, also Ross-Tech case study.

ibiza9010

Sep 7, 2017
burning oil is most likely from oil separator/pcv valve/. Located below intake manifold it's one big plastic part connected to a cable. Common problem with Vw/Seat.I had the same problem for 2,000 miles 2 liters of oil.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
burning oil is most likely from oil separator/pcv valve/. Located below intake manifold it's one big plastic part connected to a cable. Common problem with Vw/Seat.I had the same problem for 2,000 miles 2 liters of oil.

Hum my wife's 2002 Polo suffered from oil use for maybe 4 years before I gambled on it being the separator - it also pinked badly due to the oil being drawn in upsetting the Lambda and so winding down the mixture. Using UL+ stopped the pinking, but replacing the separator cut the oil consumption back dramatically.

oklos

Jul 10, 2018
Got it diagnosed with the oil separator. Will have it checked again on emissions once its replaced and I will update this tread should anyone have similar problem. Also I have been told that the engine runs rich, could it be down to the oil separator letting the oil through?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The engine should have been running lean while the oil was being drawn through into the cylinders I think as the B1 S1 Lambda probe would be forcing the base injection period down quite a bit. After replacing the oil separator I'd think if the ECU is reset that would let the mixture get corrected quickly - but I could be talking poo!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise