Help needed - Installing a Kenwood DNX520VBT

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
Can anyone throw me a bone and direct me to a guide for installing the HU in the Subject?

Getting my car tomorrow and have received the HU today in the post, so I'm super giddy and would like to get it installed asap.

I have a FR pre FL with ga$h interior (below) so I think I need a Double Din cage with facia?

2JgaW.png

But will soon have the Kenwood in place...much better.

I have searched and searched for a comprehensive guide to no avail.

There seems to have been two, but the links go nowhere now...

2JgaX.png

lodge

Aug 22, 2010
Swansea
You need the double din Facia. I’ve had this in my fr for a few years, it’s a great unit and helps update the basic interior nicely. The unit works off the steering g wheel with no issues.
Good choice

Reactions: SpiderWelsh

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
You need the double din Facia. I’ve had this in my fr for a few years, it’s a great unit and helps update the basic interior nicely. The unit works off the steering g wheel with no issues.
Good choice
Good to know I've bagged a decent unit, thanks.

Don't suppose you know if there's anything else I'll need, like a cage etc to go behind the facia?

Also, where the best place to buy these might be?

Searching for these things tends to return mixed results on sizes etc. so some real life examples would be much more reliable.

lodge

Aug 22, 2010
Swansea
Pretty sure you’ll need a cage. I cheated and had mine installed at a professional stereo place so didn’t do much myself. The hardest part was getting the correct facia, must of bought 3-4 before I found the right one.

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
Pretty sure you’ll need a cage. I cheated and had mine installed at a professional stereo place so didn’t do much myself. The hardest part was getting the correct facia, must of bought 3-4 before I found the right one.
Yeah I've heard the colour matching process can be a b@llache.

I have an acquaintance who owns a car/vehicle ICE company in Preston and he has quoted about £90-100 fitting and they have the cages too.

He recommended giving the part number to Seat and getting it direct....I did read on here they weren't too pricey even direct from a dealer, but I might look for a carbon effect one to match the top of the dash and some of the other panels.

Seems to be just the stereo that looks out of the arc. :cry:

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
What were seat thinking with that dash, it's disgusting
They were probably thinking "Volkswagen have told us to make this less appealing than the Golf for a few years?...Oh, I know...make the dash upsetting to look at in comparison to the performance, handling and otherwise subtly cool steering and other panel surroundings."

:roflmao:

Reactions: Pew.

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
UPDATE:

So I was getting antsy and had a look for the cage and facia kit from Connects2 which seems to be a popular and trusty option.

Took a gamble on Galena Silver being my dash colour as from the little swatch pictures it seemed closest to mine, which looks like the lightest light silver they offer (can't see Seat having done a lighter colour dash than mine, so I think it's the right choice).

Got the kit with the code CT23ST19 for £37.95 delivered (order before 2PM and they post the same day with Royal Mail 48 Tracked).

Item Number on eBay is 152648720596

Anyone had experience with this kit?

Hopefully I don't have too many issues fitting the unit when my cage and fascia arrives.

DannyallenFR

Feb 16, 2018
UPDATE:

So I was getting antsy and had a look for the cage and facia kit from Connects2 which seems to be a popular and trusty option.

Took a gamble on Galena Silver being my dash colour as from the little swatch pictures it seemed closest to mine, which looks like the lightest light silver they offer (can't see Seat having done a lighter colour dash than mine, so I think it's the right choice).

Got the kit with the code CT23ST19 for £37.95 delivered (order before 2PM and they post the same day with Royal Mail 48 Tracked).

Item Number on eBay is 152648720596

Anyone had experience with this kit?

Hopefully I don't have too many issues fitting the unit when my cage and fascia arrives.
I bought 1 from them mate mine didnt match ended up buying from mike in listers on here it was £36 or there abouts installing the unit is a doddly if you have the connector lead to fit from the unit to the harness in the car. I have the rnd315 so mine was a straight swap then wired the Mic in myself all in all 30mins work.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
UPDATE: Cage and fascia have now arrived so I've attempted installation.

Fascia is too small to cover the Kenwoods big face, so that seems like a pointless buy now, also, theres some predrilled holes ready to line up with the Kenwood's mounting holes, so lookes like I don't need the cage either .

Hopefully I can return it.

Next point, is I need to buy both a mic, GPS Antenna and reverse camera separately for those respective functions to work. However, the connector that came with it works with everything right away. E.g. Reverse puts it straight into reverse camera mode, steering controls work etc.

Final point, there is an aerial port on the back of the Kenwood (below) which doesn't seem to fit my Seat's aerial connector (also below).

2mnq7ty.jpg

e190s1.jpg

Any ideas if I need an adaptor?

Also, where can I get the right fascia from? I'm guessing where I should have gone initially, direct to Seat! Silly me.

DannyallenFR

Feb 16, 2018
UPDATE: Cage and fascia have now arrived so I've attempted installation.

Fascia is too small to cover the Kenwoods big face, so that seems like a pointless buy now, also, theres some predrilled holes ready to line up with the Kenwood's mounting holes, so lookes like I don't need the cage either .

Hopefully I can return it.

Next point, is I need to buy both a mic, GPS Antenna and reverse camera separately for those respective functions to work. However, the connector that came with it works with everything right away. E.g. Reverse puts it straight into reverse camera mode, steering controls work etc.

Final point, there is an aerial port on the back of the Kenwood (below) which doesn't seem to fit my Seat's aerial connector (also below).

2mnq7ty.jpg

e190s1.jpg

Any ideas if I need an adaptor?

Also, where can I get the right fascia from? I'm guessing where I should have gone initially, direct to Seat! Silly me.
Just look on fleebay you need a fakra adapter ariel there only a couple of quid get 1 with a signal amplifier built in,I also got my Mic for about £10 And GPS ariel £25 all work good no issues.

DannyallenFR

Feb 16, 2018
Absolute legend!

Thanks. Just ordered one now.

Any ideas for the fascia? I didn't think they'd vary in size tbh.
Not sure on the fascia with mine it is a genuine unit so the genuine fascia fitted but you can buy the surrounds to go on square units so that the original fits

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
I know I'm really annoying, but I've been Googling all day and checked the local CPC...does anyone know the name of the comnectors below?

Mainly the top one, but guessing they will be Connector Name Male/Female etc.

I don't think it's Fakra btw, as they are slightly different.

b82tqo.png

DannyallenFR

Feb 16, 2018
Is that the GPS port?
I know I'm really annoying, but I've been Googling all day and checked the local CPC...does anyone know the name of the comnectors below?

Mainly the top one, but guessing they will be Connector Name Male/Female etc.

I don't think it's Fakra btw, as they are slightly different.

b82tqo.png

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.