Overboost :(

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Have you plugged it into VCDS and read codes and live data?? or just put a cheap eBay generic code reader on and hoped for the best??

Neilzomg

Sep 28, 2017
Got the car sorted so far no Errors I'm guessing bad waste gate and or bad vanes looks gunked up but the fins seem. Fine no play etc on shafts.

IMG_20180718_192403.jpg

IMG_20180718_192340.jpg

IMG_20180718_192333.jpg

IMG_20180718_192256.jpg

IMG_20180718_192225.jpg
cUgW4J

Last edited by a moderator:

Neilzomg

Sep 28, 2017
I've found the problem with mine its a new engine the rings have gone on mine

Piston rings? Surely you wouldn't need a whole new engine for a new set of piston rings. Might be an expensive repair but at least if you fix that engine's rings you know that's whats needed to fix that engine. Otherwise buying another pulled engine from another car you don't know what wear it has if you know what i mean. I've done a hell of a lot of work to this car since i got it which is less than a year, New tandem pump and gaskets, New timing belt and chain last month, New turbo oil feed and drain pipes, New calipers and pads and brake service, New springs and drop links, New tyres at almost £80 a tyre, I've had exhaust issues which i've had to fix and the next big one is fitting a whole new inside fuse box as the fan has melted the block, or either putting in a new blade connecter and bypassing the bad block. Love this car theres just something about it that when something breaks i need to keep her alive, haven't test driven another car that feels the same way as this mk2 2.0tdi sport reference feels like lol.

Better the devil you know than the devil ya dont i guess

Neilzomg

Sep 28, 2017

I did a bit of reading on overboost online and what i thinks happened to your car is that the overboost has pushed the engine too far

"
This release of energy over an extended amount of time will damage engine components, shatter valves, blow holes in pistons, shatter rings, etc...

Engines normally have some margin for error, meaning that they tuned to produce less boost than the maximum amount that they can tolerate. Overboost pushes the boost to the maximum amount or beyond."

So i think the overboost has damaged the piston rings in your case, so when you replaced the turbo the damaged to the engine had already been done. Not that you didn't need a new turbo it was just too late into replacement

Reactions: maciek.snow

maciek.snow

Mar 21, 2016
Poland, Krakow

Piston rings can be changed from down below. You dont have to take the head out ;)

But just one thing.Your pics do not display (cant see anything) How did you find that its the rings, what did you check ? Constant Overboost usualy blows the head gasket first. Correct me if im wrong, but ive never heard of busted piston rings because of overboost?

Wysłane z mojego SM-G930F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Last edited:
Reactions: Neilzomg

Mobbs69

Jun 28, 2016
Northamptonshire
Piston rings? Surely you wouldn't need a whole new engine for a new set of piston rings. Might be an expensive repair but at least if you fix that engine's rings you know that's whats needed to fix that engine. Otherwise buying another pulled engine from another car you don't know what wear it has if you know what i mean. I've done a hell of a lot of work to this car since i got it which is less than a year, New tandem pump and gaskets, New timing belt and chain last month, New turbo oil feed and drain pipes, New calipers and pads and brake service, New springs and drop links, New tyres at almost £80 a tyre, I've had exhaust issues which i've had to fix and the next big one is fitting a whole new inside fuse box as the fan has melted the block, or either putting in a new blade connecter and bypassing the bad block. Love this car theres just something about it that when something breaks i need to keep her alive, haven't test driven another car that feels the same way as this mk2 2.0tdi sport reference feels like lol.

Better the devil you know than the devil ya dont i guess
Its a rebuilt engine its like brand new his just putting my turbo and bits off my engine to the brand new rebuilt engine then giving me 2 years warranty

Mobbs69

Jun 28, 2016
Northamptonshire
Piston rings can be changed from down below. You dont have to take the head out ;)

But just one thing.Your pics do not display (cant see anything) How did you find that its the rings, what did you check ? Constant Overboost usualy blows the head gasket first. Correct me if im wrong, but ive never heard of busted piston rings because of overboost?

I'm using about a ltr of oil a week and no leaks and when its running removed oil filler cap and you can hear the air shouldn't hear anything same as the dip stick and. It was quoted 1700 for new pistons rings and com rods and that's not fitted

maciek.snow

Mar 21, 2016
Poland, Krakow
I'm using about a ltr of oil a week and no leaks and when its running removed oil filler cap and you can hear the air shouldn't hear anything same as the dip stick and. It was quoted 1700 for new pistons rings and com rods and that's not fitted
Fair enouhg ;) just one more thing to confirm. Does it smoke a bit blue when starting it in the morning? This could mean the valve seals are bad.

Mobbs69

Jun 28, 2016
Northamptonshire
And I really appreciate the input from you guys I love my cupra its never let me down till now that's why I've decided to keep it and spend the money on it

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.