Front assist - warning but nothing there?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I the last couple of weeks I've had a couple of red icons and audible alerts, with one today but no braking action. Each time scared the c**p out of me at the time - because the road ahead was completely empty!

Both times I was on a fast and bendy A road, not pushing hard but at a relaxed and comfortable pace.

Afterward I couldn't decide if the car saw the opposite verge of an oncoming bend, a large insect had hit the sensor or I'm encountering invisible hazards that can only be seen by radar?

Is it just the hot weather, is anyone else getting ghost alerts?

Sochaux

Jan 28, 2018
Not sure what the Front Assist actually does if I’m being honest.

I put a plastic cone in front of my car and got up to about 15mph and my car didn’t break, it just pushed the cone forward.

Reactions: nick.buchan2

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Distance warning

If the system detects that safety is endan-
gered by the proximity of the vehicle in front,
it may warn the driver by means of a message
on the instrument panel when driving at a
speed of between approximately 60 km/h
(37 mph) and 250 km/h (156 mph)
››› Fig. 184.
The warning moment varies depending on
the traffic situation and driver behaviour.

Advance warning

If the system detects a possible collision with
the vehicle in front, it may warn the driver by
means of an audible warning and an indica-
tion on the instrument panel when driving at
a speed of between approximately 30 km/h
(18 mph) and 250 km/h (156 mph)
››› Fig. 184.

The warning moment varies depending on
the traffic situation and driver behaviour. At
the same time, the vehicle will prepare for a
possible emergency braking ››› .

Critical warning

If the driver fails to react to the advance
warning, the system may actively intervene in
the brakes when driving at a speed of be-
tween approximately 30 km/h (18 mph) and
250 km/h (156 mph), generating a brief jolt
to warn of the imminent collision.

Automatic braking

If the driver also fails to react to the advance
warning, the system may brake the vehicle
automatically, by progressively increasing
braking effect driving at a speed of between
approximately 4 km/h (2.5 mph) and
250 km/h (156 mph). By reducing speed in
case of a possible collision, the system may
contribute to reducing the consequences of
an accident.

Front assist

If the Front Assist notices that the driver is
not braking sufficiently in case of a collision
hazard, the system can increase braking ef-
fect and thus avert the collision when driving
at a speed of between approximately 4 km/h
(2.5 mph) and 250 km/h (156 mph). Front
assist only acts while the brake pedal is
pressed down hard

k9aoc1

Sep 27, 2017
I the last couple of weeks I've had a couple of red icons and audible alerts, with one today but no braking action. Each time scared the c**p out of me at the time - because the road ahead was completely empty!

Both times I was on a fast and bendy A road, not pushing hard but at a relaxed and comfortable pace.

Afterward I couldn't decide if the car saw the opposite verge of an oncoming bend, a large insect had hit the sensor or I'm encountering invisible hazards that can only be seen by radar?

Is it just the hot weather, is anyone else getting ghost alerts?

Mine often does it on a certain bend. There is a bollard in the centre of the road and I think the sensors pick this up as in the car’s path and see it as if a collision hazard. Even does it on a frosty road. Thankfully it doesn’t apply the brakes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: BoomerBoom

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018

I put a plastic cone in front of my car and got up to about 15mph and my car didn’t break, it just pushed the cone forward.

I don't think a cone is large enough to be seen by the radar, the minimum target would be a child pedestrian I think.

As an example (at 1:58):

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017

Are you putting the cone in front and then setting off or driving at the stationary cone? If it's the first 1, front assist won't do Jack as it reads the speed at which you are approaching another object in the cars path. If the cone is there to begin with it has no approaching speed.

If its the latter option then I'd hate to see the state of your front bumper lol.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

nick.buchan2

May 10, 2018
Mine regularly goes off at a couple of bends on my commute. First time it happened I jumped out of my skin! Got used to it now though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I've not had my Cupra activate the breaks or hazards yet but it sometimes makes a bleep and a red warning on the dash. My previous mk7 golf once applied the breaks when I was following a cycling waiting for a safe place to pass (I'm a cyclist myself so always give them room). Along time ago I had a 2002 Citroën Xsara (still dont know why i bought it as it was dull as, soon replaced by an Ibiza FR) and that had auto activating hazards and emergency brake assist (eba) so it's certainly not a new system I'd expect most cars need it to get a decent Euro NCAP rating.

Philh46

Dec 24, 2017
Sheffield
Pulled into work car park 3 days after buying car and it spotted a couple weeds! Applied brakes automatically and crapped myself thinking it had hit the curb!

Orguss

Jul 3, 2017
Hampshire
Mines been set off twice now when it shouldn't, both when parking on inclines. the first time it happened i thought i'd hit something but it was just the sensor seeing the the pavement when rolling forward.

Deleted member 103408

It may be me but if feels like the older cars (like mine) this system is less sensitive, I have only had the warning come on when there is an obvious problem.

I also seen a number of people complaining about the Active Cruise Control when you are going round a corner on a dual carriageway or Motorway as the Radar picks up the car on the inside and slows you down.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members