CUPRA Ibiza, will they won't they, would you?

What are your thoughts on the CUPRA Ibiza design concept?

• Where do I sign - I want one now!

• I think it's great, but I'm not in the market for one

• I'm potentially interested but it would depend on price, specs etc

• I'd need some convincing

• Nah, not for me

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
There's a very real possibilty you will never buy another new car again...
Are BMW stopping production of the 2 series coupe? Or Mercedes-Benz the C class coupe? Not sure they are but if you know different please let me and their dealers know.

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
Are BMW stopping production of the 2 series coupe? Or Mercedes-Benz the C class coupe?
If they follow the way the market is going it's a possibility, yes (that's why I used the word 'possibility')

Granted, it's unlikely there will never be 2dr/3dr cars, but immediately dismissing a model/an entire brand, purely on the basis of number of doors means you are denying yourself access to a lot of excellent cars.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
If they follow the way the market is going it's a possibility, yes (that's why I used the word 'possibility')

Granted, it's unlikely there will never be 2dr/3dr cars, but immediately dismissing a model/an entire brand, purely on the basis of number of doors means you are denying yourself access to a lot of excellent cars.
I know what you're saying and maybe I'll have to reluctantly get a 5 door hatch one day but while 2/3 doors exist they will be my preference. The reason I never had a Mk1 or 2 Leon was because it was 5 door only, they make a 3 door mk3 and I've had 2 Cupra's brand new. I realise that I'm most definitely in the minority though. The new Fiesta ST has 3 door and the highly rated 208GTi by PS. I don't need 5 doors, I prefer the style of 3 door and as I'm fairly tall I find sitting in 5 door cars the b pillar obscures my side view more than a 3 door as they have longer front doors.
Remember people don't always make decisions you will agree with, I'm happy to discount some very good cars just because they're 5 door.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
I for another mourn the slow death of stronger/lighter 3-door hatches, even though I won't be in the market for
one for a while. I'm also been at odds for many years now in usually preferring saloon versions over hatchbacks.

In the end, car makers will build what sells, which in turn is what they choose to promote most actively. Sadly
this means more jacked-up small hatches and SUV's/fake 4x4's mostly with iffy bodykits and detailing.

Can't blame them though, they are in business to try and sell what they can for as much profit as possible and
more than a few people's jobs depend on it.

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
Looking at the new Fiesta ST, Polo GTI, new Audi A1 and the Cupra Ibiza for next time round. Ibiza looks a bit more interesting than the VW (which I've yet to drive as I 'm waiting for the manual to appear). From what I've seen so far though it's looking as if the Ibiza and A1 2.0 tfsi may be DSG only in which case it will be a 2 horse race (or a total re-think!).

Like others have said, I'm not enamoured with the logo or the copper theme. At least with Abarth, Fiat have resurrected a once familiar name. Citroen have recently introduced DS (previously used as a model name) as a separate brand to a less than rapturous reception so far.

Reactions: Wings988

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I must say that I remain skeptical about this concept and there are a couple of things that I would prefer to be different. As Woodsie23 has mentioned I also believe that the central exit exhaust was a great feature and gave the Ibiza Cupra a nice signature style.

Being somewhat of a traditionalist, I am disappointed that the car will not be offered as a 3 door and is intended as a 5 door model only along with the rest of the New Ibiza range. It is a shame as it seems that the traditional 3 door hot hatch seems to be disappearing what with the Polo GTI going the same way and of course the Fabia Vrs has only ever been a 5 door from the start.

The most contentious point for me has to be the badge and its colour scheme. The reason given by the SEAT CEO is that the company still had an image problem and that this was costing the CUPRA badged models sales. When he was working for FIAT he did the same thing with the reintroducion of the ABARTH sub brand for the performance models of FIAT. I do not agree with this as I do not feel that SEAT has an image problem at all and that the image of SEAT in recent years has been far better than FIAT much in part to the VAG connection so I do not think this comparison is justified. I personally think it would have been better to keep the CUPRA models with SEAT badging or if they did want to go down this road then they should have used the well known recent CUPRA badge with the chequered flag and red detail. The chosen badge design and colour scheme has no traditional connection for me whereas in the case of FIAT, the ABARTH badge has a long history of being associated with the company.
Exactly this. I often have to tell people my car is a Leon, they see SEAT Cupra and ask what's that? Most folk don't even know about the Cupra brand it has no history or pedigree and a very small following. Ford launched the mk3 Focus RS and I've seen more of them around my area than Leon Cupra.
If anything, going down the Cupra route with a tribal badge that went out of fashion for tattoos in the 90s and a bronze colour (what does anyone own that is bronze coloured? Maybe an ancient statue) is going to put more people off.If they put prices up they'll lose even more sales as the brand has no value to justify it.
They need to understand the demographic who buys the Cupra now. I can only comment on the uk market and imo folk under 21 will find it seriously expensive to insure a Cupra, what majority age group on here have them? The fact that they have decided to only do 5 door would make me believe they are aiming at the older market who have a family and need 5 doors. Those folk are possibly not going to like the dated tribal badge, and bronze details, I've got nothing in my house coloured bronze because it's just not that great.
I like SEAT and hope they do well but the price ceiling will always be there, Cupra or not as VW has a scene, so do Ford RS. SEAT need to try to emulate Renault Sport, Honda Type R and win customers by offering an excellent driving experience. Honda and Renault have a following grown over several years. Changing a badge and hoping won't work imo. Only time will tell.

perelaar

Jan 18, 2019
Sugartown Belgium
I like it a lot. Not in the market for one though - I have my Fiat Panda Cross as small car (doing double duty as light 4x4 on our shoot), and a Cupra Ateca on order :)

Personally, I'd never buy a 3 door car: looks nice, but a pain in the ass in city use and especially in narrow parking spaces. I even avoid parking next to 3 door cars for that reason.

Reactions: Syphon

Action Man

Mar 24, 2019
Looks awesome ...errr but it needs 2 less doors .... I'd swap out my Cupra 280 Sub 8 if I could find a minty one of these
220px-Seat_Ibiza_Kit_Car.jpg

Reactions: Syphon
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise