Jul 7, 2015
Guide now located in the new resources section of the site

Last edited:
Reactions: Fester999 and DaRa

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Great little guide there even I might be able to do this lol

I have made it sticky as it's a guide that will see the test of time.

That GPS thing is shocking, what were they thinking...

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Great little guide there even I might be able to do this lol

I have made it sticky as it's a guide that will see the test of time.

That GPS thing is shocking, what were they thinking...

It's actually pretty easy. But the number of people I see paying to get this done. Hopefully if I can guide the more minor stuff, it'll save people a little bit of cash and get people into doing stuff on their own cars.

Cheers for the sticky, somehow stickying my own threads doesn't seem appropriate lol.

Well they also give you a massive "Dashcam on board" sticker. Its about 20cmx20cm. Who would seriously stick that in their window?

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
It's actually pretty easy. But the number of people I see paying to get this done. Hopefully if I can guide the more minor stuff, it'll save people a little bit of cash and get people into doing stuff on their own cars.

Cheers for the sticky, somehow stickying my own threads doesn't seem appropriate lol.

Well they also give you a massive "Dashcam on board" sticker. Its about 20cmx20cm. Who would seriously stick that in their window?
The minor stuff is the sort of stuff I like to do lol hence why I did one for footwell LED lighting in my Pre FL, turned out pretty bright and some may call it a brothel on wheels haha

I've seen a few of them stickers on cars driven by people that are probably too old to drive....

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
turned out pretty bright and some may call it a brothel on wheels haha

:lol: Yeah, my intial blue LED order turned up as red. It may have looked like I was offering such services.

Lol I have seen a good few with them stickers in there back window even one on my street

:D It makes no sense to me. Like having a "expensive satnav in glovebox" sticker in the window, you just wouldn't do it.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
How did choose the location to stick the mount to the window lol I'm Ocd and cannot 1 trust someone to tell me the correct location or 2 cannot do what they're told lol

It needs to be as invisible as possible from standard driving but be centre enough not to annoy me...

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
How did choose the location to stick the mount to the window lol I'm Ocd and cannot 1 trust someone to tell me the correct location or 2 cannot do what they're told lol

It needs to be as invisible as possible from standard driving but be centre enough not to annoy me...

Hmmm, prepare for disappointment if you think mine was scientific. LOL. I put it as close to the mirror as I could get, but leaving enough space for it to be adjusted and removed (it pulls out backwards). The only thing I will say that I just read in another thread that is true, you know you get that diamond top center where the wipers don't meet? Well, the dashcam still works, but filming through that will drive you nuts. I'll try and upload some video later. I have a load to sift through on mine.

You already bought it? Cause I went for the 512GW and since it's removeable, it's not so important if it can be see from the outside.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Hmmm, prepare for disappointment if you think mine was scientific. LOL. I put it as close to the mirror as I could get, but leaving enough space for it to be adjusted and removed (it pulls out backwards). The only thing I will say that I just read in another thread that is true, you know you get that diamond top center where the wipers don't meet? Well, the dashcam still works, but filming through that will drive you nuts. I'll try and upload some video later. I have a load to sift through on mine.

You already bought it? Cause I went for the 512GW and since it's removeable, it's not so important if it can be see from the outside.
Yep installed and ready to go.

The diamond bit that's dirty won't bother me as I managed to hide the camera completely from my normal driving position so I'm happy lol neat means I'll be washing my car more. . Oh well

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Bit late (as usual for me)... but here's what I meant. No big deal though as you can still make out reg plates, etc.
pvXLaA9.png

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Sorry to dig up a thread but as the guide was so handy and obviously you guys have done it, thought logical!

Cars inbound so haven’t had a change to dig around obvs, but in readiness have few Q’s;

- does anyone know of a live fuse number to piggy back on? I’ve seen a good guide on a VW forum which shows one but asking if anyone has done it recently in a Leon Cupra (19) I will be running it in parking mode which means permanent live.

- what size are the fuses? I’ve brought a Thinkware F770 (front and back) and the supplied hard wire is one which you wrap wires around the fuse taps and plug back in, which in my eyes is not safe as you bypass the protective fuse etc. So going to buy a piggy back pack

Think that’s all, cheers in advance!

Reactions: Marky N

GaryPL

Apr 27, 2019
Hello.

First post here from the front seat of my new (to me) Leon. Undoubtedly not the last.

Thank you for this helpful guide. Found it really useful in wiring in my dash cam.

I've got a minor issue though. I don't seem to be able to find a fuse that isn't permanently live. I've tried the power socket, the heated seats and practically every fuse 20A and below. So my dash cam won't switch off, even after half an hour. Am I missing a trick here?!

It's a 2018 (18 plate) model.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide

GaryPL

Apr 27, 2019
Welcome, bit of a weird one. Although, you do have a MK3 so might be worth having a flick through this first. It's a lengthy thread so there may be other solutions, but in the first couple of posts it shows the lighter fuse he used:
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/diy-hardwire-dashcam-installation.415052/
Hello,

Thanks for the reply for digging out that thread. There might be something to go on. I need to move the fuse slightly, so it sits halfway between rows.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....ire-dashcam-installation.415052/#post-4535935

It's odd though as the camera, when plugged into the lighter, powered down when I switched off the car. So the socket wasn't live and I haven't moved the fuse from the slot where I pulled it out of. I'll give the 'half and half' thing a go tomorrow!

For tonight, I have just pulled the cable out of the camera.

GaryPL

Apr 27, 2019
Pleased to report that moving the fuse down worked a treat. I can now forget about my trusty old camera! The DrivePro 200 really is a gem of a device.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Pleased to report that moving the fuse down worked a treat. I can now forget about my trusty old camera! The DrivePro 200 really is a gem of a device.

Glad its worked for you. Thanks for reporting back and letting us know. :)

Marky N

Jul 15, 2014
London
I have a rear view dash cam. Not installed yet but I like it. I have a couple's of issues. One, the straps are not big enough to fix on to the rear view mirror and if the fuse you use allows power permanently, and I mean when the car is off, would it kill the battery? I ask this as the device is designed to activate a recording when the vehicle is bumped?

Sent from my MI 8 Lite using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I would imagine / hope that when it's just "sensing" for bumps it operates in a low power mode. Also, ive seen some cameras actually detect the battery voltage and when it drops too low (eg not driving it for a fortnight) the camera powers down completely to avoid running it flat. But it's designed to operate while the car is off. So I'd say they'd already factored that in.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.