Head unit change.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
i can`t update the firmware as the unit is hacked there is no cp on the screens they are all the same resolution so i doubt firmware needs updating.

i have seen these screens less than 200

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14-17-SE...059525?hash=item3fa9d21e85:g:HGgAAOSwE1Bbhm44

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-LEO...917402?hash=item33f3b2dc5a:g:XTgAAOSwgYlbj8WR
Good prices, when I did a search these didn't come up. still I wanted the surround/vents etc. Hope you're right about the CP.
If your existing unit doesn't show the new style menus then you need updated software.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Good prices, when I did a search these didn't come up. still I wanted the surround/vents etc. Hope you're right about the CP.
If your existing unit doesn't show the new style menus then you need updated software.
will old menus work with the new screen ?
the guy who did the unit specifically said to not update it.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
will old menus work with the new screen ?
the guy who did the unit specifically said to not update it.
I got the impression when doing a bit of research that the new screen is not compatible with the old software, on my car with the updated software and old 6.5" screen I can switch between the old carousel view and the new tiles view.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
the guy who did the unit had it plugged into to a bigger screen i don`t want to risk updating the firmware. if your car is later and had mib2 from the factory then that should be ok.

20180904_090957.jpg

20180904_091254.jpg

Reactions: zeffania

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
No probably not worth the risk, roughly what area do you live, if I'm close enough I would be more than happy to let you try my new screen.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
No probably not worth the risk, roughly what area do you live, if I'm close enough I would be more than happy to let you try my new screen.
cheers not far from you actually thanks . those pictures are actually my unit plugged into a 8" skoda display the displays are all the same regardless of brand.

i am pretty sure you can change the dpi in vcds for a sharper image, where did you read about having to update FW ?

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
cheers not far from you actually thanks . those pictures are actually my unit plugged into a 8" skoda display the displays are all the same regardless of brand.

i am pretty sure you can change the dpi in vcds for a sharper image, where did you read about having to update FW ?
I can't remember now but it was probably only so you could have the new menus. When I updated mine from 0319 to 0674 I had the new menus displayed.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I have seen a few but very high price. I have seen an Audi TT 2017 (£275) one and was wondering if the software could be flashed to work with a Seat.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
I have seen a few but very high price. I have seen an Audi TT 2017 (£275) one and was wondering if the software could be flashed to work with a Seat.
yes apparently they can that was an option for me but errors would stay in vcds so i decided not to.

to be honest this change has cost me under £350 the mib2 kit was only £80 :happy: without the 8" screen the seat harman unit would have cost me twice as much.
i should recoup some money back from the mib1 unit so it was a very cheap upgrade considering seat wanted £100 for just the 2018 maps for the mib1.

this unit you don`t even need to hack the maps just load them on :clap:. i may only keep the car another year or 2 so did not want to spend much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walone

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
yes apparently they can that was an option for me but errors would stay in vcds so i decided not to.

to be honest this change has cost me under £350 the mib2 kit was only £80 :happy: without the 8" screen the seat harman unit would have cost me twice as much.
i should recoup some money back from the mib1 unit so it was a very cheap upgrade considering seat wanted £100 for just the 2018 maps for the mib1.

this unit you don`t even need to hack the maps just load them on :clap:. i may only keep the car another year or 2 so did not want to spend much.
I hope to keep my car for a few more years, took out 5 year warranty when I ordered it, it's 3 years old in December. I usually keep my cars quite a long time and since I retired don't do as many miles as I used to do.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
I hope to keep my car for a few more years, took out 5 year warranty when I ordered it, it's 3 years old in December. I usually keep my cars quite a long time and since I retired don't do as many miles as I used to do.
mine is a 2013 car so 5 years old already she has low miles though. i find it ridiculous what vag has done to stop people retrofitting though.
you buy a car you should be able to upgrade what ever you like.

Reactions: Walone

jacko5

Jan 10, 2017
UK
This looks good chaps.
Have you got a list of whats needed and how can we can contact the person to update the car radio.
I have a mib1 unit ... 2014 Leon FR.
PM me if its not Ok to do this info on the forum, cheers.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
This looks good chaps.
Have you got a list of whats needed and how can we can contact the person to update the car radio.
I have a mib1 unit ... 2014 Leon FR.
PM me if its not Ok to do this info on the forum, cheers.
Not much really

A mib unit with 0245 firmware
A screen either 6.5" or 8" and a cable and a new sd card any seat as card will work as long as AS version.

There is a guy on shpock selling the whole kit search seat Leon/Ibiza sat nav system £150

Cable is is about £25
SD card cheapest you can find does not matter which version

Reactions: jacko5

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
They guy who runs VW Retrofit only knows how to hack the Harman unit hence him saying its too hard to find as they don't come up for sale very often.

well technically any harman unit can work only the software is different.
different hackers have different ways on these units i have found out hence my previous comment , i think they like to say harman unit as there are less of the units with the correct part number available especially the seat ones so a higher price. i would have preferred a genuine seat harman unit because of the wifi cockpit upgrade possible but not at £700 for just the unit the technisat unit was only £40.
i read the technisats have wifi as well but switched off just no Most connections.

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
Not much really

A mib unit with 0245 firmware
A screen either 6.5" or 8" and a cable and a new sd card any seat as card will work as long as AS version.

There is a guy on shpock selling the whole kit search seat Leon/Ibiza sat nav system £150

Cable is is about £25
SD card cheapest you can find does not matter which version

Hi Leonlad,

Just catching the end of this thread. So you've went from a MIB1 to a MIB2? Looking to do the same myself but everytime I've seen it has never looked possible.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.