DIY hardwire dashcam installation

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Some say it can be interference from the cable, if it helps one in the front of mine is tiny/cheap/thin cable which powers a Mini 0805 the other is much thicker that came with the A119 camera. Very much like the Nextbase power supply quailty.

mrtnbcky

Sep 4, 2015
hi all iv already got a front dash cam hardwired in. I'm going to replace it and get a new one that has front and back cams. my questions has anyone hardwired a rear cam in, where did they run the wire for the rear cam and where have they placed the cam on the rear windscreen?

I found this thread while looking for inspiration having had a few issues installing a hardwire kit for powering a NextBase DAB adapter (which works absolutely brilliantly by the way, despite the reviews its got on Halfords' website) in my Mrs's car, albeit a bit messy with all the cables, hence the hardwire kit.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that I use a NextBase Duo in my car and the rear view camera pokes out from behind the rear view mirror and with a tighter angle lens than the front camera captures really good footage of what's going on behind me, while the wide angle front facing camera captures the view at the business end.

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
Yeah, I intend to get a different hardwire kit - just using a generic Chinese one which was fine in my Yeti but this didn’t have DAB. I also don’t like that it has a low voltage cutout, presumably to prevent draining the battery if left live but the low voltage limit is obviously set a bit too high as it cuts out every time the engine starts. I have wired it to an ignition-control fuse which I know stays live; this all happened in the Yeti too but that didn’t have stop-start so was less of an issue.

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Fitted my dashcam (Nextbase) however when removing the top section of the A pillar trim to route the cable all the clips came out, is there an easy way of putting them all back, doesn't seem to want to clip into place

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Last edited:

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Thanks yes they are the metal type, I suspect 1or 2 have been bent so I may have to remove the panel and straighten them out and try again.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Fitted my dashcam (Nextbase) however when removing the top section of the A pillar trim to route the cable all the clips came out, is there an easy way of putting them all back, doesn't seem to want to clip into place
I didn't even need to remove the pillars to get the wires in, just tucked them in with a trim removal tool.

Proby

I Luv Boost!!
Aug 17, 2009
Just want to say thanks to OP for this thread. Fitted a Smart Witness 1080p camera yesterday. Managed to hide all wiring, I actually pulled the A-Pillar trim off as was easier to hide cable.

Dave77

Jul 5, 2018
I need to fit a dashcam in a 2017 facelift Leon, what fuse should I be piggy-backing for it to be only on with ignition?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I need to fit a dashcam in a 2017 facelift Leon, what fuse should I be piggy-backing for it to be only on with ignition?

Hi Dave,

It looks like you are new here, so welcome.

Take a look at the this thread starting on page 1, second picture. That should be your answer assuming nothings changed. Compare to your car if so let us know if not.

15 pages seems a lot but most of the time on these forums the answer is often in there. ☺

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I haven't got a 2017 leon but my guess would be the 12v cigarette lighter socket for ignition switched source. The fuse number should be the in owners manual.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I've got a 2017 and I used the yellow fuse shown in the second picture of post number 1 of this thread.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Big thanks for TerryT for the guide on page 1.

Just installed a Nextbase 212 tonight with the Nextbase hardwire kit.

Took me about 2 hours as I am a perfectionist, but it is exactly as the guide says on page 1, and it all works spot on. Absolutely no exposed wires other than where it exits the headlining.

Only thing is, the Nextbase cam is quite bulky. So in the future I may get a Blackvue or maybe a Mini 0906, providing it works with the installed NB hardwire kit.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
So in the future I may get a Blackvue

This is my Blackvue...stealthy...
5fe3d340acd30f527de64dbe61d3e310.jpg

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Some pictures of my install this evening

Attachments

• DSC_0084.JPG
    DSC_0084.JPG
    501.6 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0085.JPG
    DSC_0085.JPG
    863.6 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_0090.JPG
    DSC_0090.JPG
    624.8 KB · Views: 154

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Some pictures of my install this evening
I managed to get my NB212 tucked up behind the mirror. Sticks out a tiny bit at the bottom and a little at the side but still well hidden.

Does yours rattle over bumps? The actual base where the cam connects rattles on mine and it's starting to do my head in

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I managed to get my NB212 tucked up behind the mirror. Sticks out a tiny bit at the bottom and a little at the side but still well hidden.

Does yours rattle over bumps? The actual base where the cam connects rattles on mine and it's starting to do my head in

I did consider mounting mine behind the mirror, and actually bought a stealth mount from ebay so it would be a smaller setup, but then decided if I want to take the camera off, the rear view mirror would be in the way.

Do people generally leave the cam in their car permanently?

Just been for a test drive and no rattling. Can you return the mount and exchange it for a new one?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.