Transfer Non Personalised (original) Plate to new car?

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hi all,

I have had my current Leon 10 years now and was lucky enough to get a pretty good plate when i bought the car. I have now seen an ex demo Leon and would like to transfer my existing plate to it (so an 08 plate to an 18) if I buy it.

I have found info on line re retaining personal plates and having an age related one allocated to the car, but does anyone know if you can transfer your original allocated Plate?

Thanks

Rob

Ps i did try to call DVLA but gave up.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Not sure. Don't see how that would work though. Usually when you put a private plate on, DVLA park the original plate so it goes back on the car when your done with it (in most cases). But you own the car, not the plate. Which is why I assume when you buy a plate you get issued a certificate. So effectively if they let you buy it, the car would be without a reg no altogether, they'd have to allocate a new one. I doubt you can do that online, so you'd really have to get in touch with them unfortunately.

Reactions: Rob66

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Cheers Jon. Yes guess I'll have to get on the phone and speak to them..

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Thanks Scrogg, Jon

Yes, that's what I was looking at but your right Jon it seems to cover personalised plates rather than the original one.. will let you know what DVLA when I speak to them - thanks again for replies.

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
Its a bit ambiguous in places, but that suggests it's for personalised plates only:
"You can take a private (personalised) number off a vehicle"
That's just the way it is worded, as they assume most people wouldn't want to keep a standard issued number - the reality is any number can be retained/transferred.

I had a customer once that changed her Fiesta for a new one in the same colour every year, and kept the number from the first one so her neighbours wouldn't know!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I had a customer once that changed her Fiesta for a new one in the same colour every year, and kept the number from the first one so her neighbours wouldn't know!

:rofl:. I don't get it... why wouldn't she want her neighbours to know? Usually it's the opposite way round.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
DVD’s will just allocate another year related plate and allow you to take your preferred plate with you.

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
Hi all,

I have had my current Leon 10 years now and was lucky enough to get a pretty good plate when i bought the car. I have now seen an ex demo Leon and would like to transfer my existing plate to it (so an 08 plate to an 18) if I buy it.

I have found info on line re retaining personal plates and having an age related one allocated to the car, but does anyone know if you can transfer your original allocated Plate?

Thanks

Rob

Ps i did try to call DVLA but gave up.

Yes!

Have a look here:

https://www.theprivateplateco.co.uk...nsfer-a-number-plate-from-one-car-to-another/

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise