Where do you put your big...

scosut

Oct 8, 2018
...phone :happy:

Just picked up a 2016 Leon FR and a huge fan of the car, it's spot on!

However I'm also a fan of big phones and have a Note 8 which when plugged in (to use Android Auto) the combined length of the phone and the protruding cable make sitting it in the cubby in front of the gear lever less than optimum.

I'm loathed to put a mount in for the phone as I don't need access to it, I just need somewhere for it to live whilst it's cabled in.

The passenger seat has worked so far but the missus already complained that she's "not a :censored: phone holder" :happy:

Anyone facing the same problem come up with anything I haven't thought of yet?

Cheers!

walshy

Jan 27, 2016
North West, UK
I wonder if you can feed a long cable through the passenger footwell into the glovebox and have the phone plugged in there?

I haven't taken delivery of my car yet but I don't have a big phone so I don't think I'll have the same problem

Reactions: scosut

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
...phone :happy:

Just picked up a 2016 Leon FR and a huge fan of the car, it's spot on!

However I'm also a fan of big phones and have a Note 8 which when plugged in (to use Android Auto) the combined length of the phone and the protruding cable make sitting it in the cubby in front of the gear lever less than optimum.

I'm loathed to put a mount in for the phone as I don't need access to it, I just need somewhere for it to live whilst it's cabled in.

The passenger seat has worked so far but the missus already complained that she's "not a :censored: phone holder" :happy:

Anyone facing the same problem come up with anything I haven't thought of yet?

Cheers!

I have a pixel XL and have this issue on the 280.
Never found a solution but didn't really look for one.

They seem to have addressed the issue on the newer models.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Skipp

Oct 15, 2018
I own a Huawei P10 so it fits perfectly into the front compartment even when plugged in via USB. If I were you, i'd just get a longer cable and place it somewhere on the side of the handbrake into the armrest compartment. That way you can have the front compartment empty and your phone safely tucked away

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I use a brodit clip. I don’t have a brodit mount though as they were all bulky. I butchered a magnetic air vent mount and stuck that on to the brodit clip: I then slipped a thin metal plate that came with the air vent mount inside my iPhone 7 case...
735EE2F4-3DCE-457F-A088-9B38B97577F7.jpeg

Worked really well.
When I got my new iPhone XS I got a case with a space for the metal plate to sit, although it was that thin I doubt it needed it.

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I have a set up similar to Damo, I use an Aukey Magnetic Vent Holder off of Amazon for £8. You'd hardly even notice the mount is there when not in use, it doesnt block your eyeline out the windscreen at all and its a tidy and super easy to use system. I just have the metal plate stuck to the inside of my phone case and it sticks like **** on a stick to my OnePlus 5T.
upload_2018-10-22_19-45-44.png

upload_2018-10-22_19-45-58.png

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I have a set up similar to Damo, I use an Aukey Magnetic Vent Holder off of Amazon for £8. You'd hardly even notice the mount is there when not in use, it doesnt block your eyeline out the windscreen at all and its a tidy and super easy to use system. I just have the metal plate stuck to the inside of my phone case and it sticks like **** on a stick to my OnePlus 5T.
View attachment 2288
View attachment 2289
Mine is in fact the Aukey mount. I just dismantled it so that it was just the rubber mount and magnet. Then 3M taped it to the brodit mount...

https://rover.ebay.co.uk/rover/0/0/99?loc=https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/22017023565?iid=163302935554

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I’m not really into phones and their exact dimensions, but my iPhone X with a sturdy tech 21 case fits into the armrest cubby, with the cable into the charging point. All the functionality to the head unit is via BT.

This is a MIB1 / 2013 FR, so not too sure if the facelift is the same size or you require usb cable for car play etc to work on the full link?

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
My phone has a 6.1" screen and it does stick out a bit from the charging bay, but I put it in cable first, that takes care of the cable flopping around.

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
I bought a 3inch cable off amazon for a couple of quid to store my phone away, also reduces the temptation of reaching for it whilst you’re driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scosut

Oct 8, 2018
I’m not really into phones and their exact dimensions, but my iPhone X with a sturdy tech 21 case fits into the armrest cubby, with the cable into the charging point. All the functionality to the head unit is via BT.

This is a MIB1 / 2013 FR, so not too sure if the facelift is the same size or you require usb cable for car play etc to work on the full link?

Mine is also pre facelift as well and yeah it needs to be cabled for either android auto or apple carplay presumably because as the phone is doing all the work, it's battery would take a kicking trying to wirelessly transfer so much data?

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Mine is also pre facelift as well and yeah it needs to be cabled for either android auto or apple carplay presumably because as the phone is doing all the work, it's battery would take a kicking trying to wirelessly transfer so much data?
Wireless AA has been introduced, it'll take a while for car manufacturers to offer it. With wireless charging it'll be a lot more convienient.

scosut

Oct 8, 2018
For not the first time in my life, it’s not as big as I thought it was :roflmao:

With a 23cm usb-c cable from eBay, problem solved!
e2RU6RuRikTjeRkm6

Had ordered a magnet backing and a holder but I’m going to run with this for a bit see if it works or annoys me!

Last edited:

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
For not the first time in my life, it’s not as big as I thought it was :roflmao:

With a 23cm usb-c cable from eBay, problem solved!

Forgive the crap quality photo, had to take it with my ancient work phone

e2RU6RuRikTjeRkm6

Had ordered a magnet backing and a holder but I’m going to run with this for a bit see if it works or annoys me!
Your photo is that crap it hasn't even appeared :rofl:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
View attachment 2288
View attachment 2289

Is your other car a Mazda (3/6) or it's just for illustration purposes?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise