1300mls and clutch gone - Cupra 300

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
Alright guys,

As some of you know I have a late 2018 300.

Anyone else had problems with the clutch? I was driving at the weekend (actually booting it against a Golf R...) and my clutch pedal went down, and decided not to come back up. Called out Seat assist today and the bloke had seen it a few times already. Said it's a known fault on the Master cylinder, basically it needs a whole new clutch fitting!

They've given me a Golf R while I wait. Why does the golf keep tormenting me!?

Reactions: Mystery290

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
I’ve heard of clutches going on the manual Golf R but not this quickly and not the master cylinder. My Golf is coming up to 29,000 miles and no problems. Bet your front wheels were tramping! My 280 did. At least they’ve given you a decent car and not a 1 litre Ibiza!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Glennc91

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
yeah was surprised at them giving me the like for like car for a change, guarantee someones paying over the odds for it somewhere down the line. They have just called me and told me that they are now taking the gearbox to pieces to investigate further and needed my authorization to do so. Not too sure why. Sounds serious :beer:

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
The clutch is a known weak point on the Golf R and it appears it’s the same on the Cupra - not surprised as they are mechanically similar. Apparently, they use the clutch from the Golf GTi and it can’t take the power or torque. Mine is fine so far but never heard of one going at 1300 miles.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
yeah was surprised at them giving me the like for like car for a change, guarantee someones paying over the odds for it somewhere down the line. They have just called me and told me that they are now taking the gearbox to pieces to investigate further and needed my authorization to do so. Not too sure why. Sounds serious :beer:

Got my R brand new with £5000 of extras for base price in 2016. Just priced another up - £40k with extras, £36k after discount. I liked my 280 but if I decide I don’t like the secondhand M2 I’m eyeing up, I’ll have another Golf.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
The clutch is a known weak point on the Golf R and it appears it’s the same on the Cupra - not surprised as they are mechanically similar. Apparently, they use the clutch from the Golf GTi and it can’t take the power or torque. Mine is fine so far but never heard of one going at 1300 miles.

My former Golf R from 2014, sold at 55000 km last Sunday, have been tracked a lot during the years. I haven’t had any issues with the clutch, never replaced it.

One thing, if you track the car you mostly don’t “launch” from 0 speed. Then you don’t get extra ordinary launch ware on the clutch, significant for a 4wd car.

/Peter

Reactions: xyz

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
Well I originally anted to golf, but my 290 SC Black edition I got for a ridiculous price which, with extras would have been £36k. FOR A SEAT! I was paying £221 a month for a lease deal on it, and for the two years I had it, i didn't see another one like it on the road. The price and the exclusivity were the benefit. I absolutely love the golf though, who doesn't love a golf hatch back with porsche power.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Well I originally anted to golf, but my 290 SC Black edition I got for a ridiculous price which, with extras would have been £36k. FOR A SEAT! I was paying £221 a month for a lease deal on it, and for the two years I had it, i didn't see another one like it on the road. The price and the exclusivity were the benefit. I absolutely love the golf though, who doesn't love a golf hatch back with porsche power.

I’ll be honest - my Cupra 280 felt more nimble than my Golf but my R is a better all weather car.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Alright guys,

As some of you know I have a late 2018 300.

Anyone else had problems with the clutch? I was driving at the weekend (actually booting it against a Golf R...) and my clutch pedal went down, and decided not to come back up. Called out Seat assist today and the bloke had seen it a few times already. Said it's a known fault on the Master cylinder, basically it needs a whole new clutch fitting!

They've given me a Golf R while I wait. Why does the golf keep tormenting me!?

I take it you drive a Manual. I’ve heard the Clutch is made of melted chocolate.

Whereas the DSG appears to be bulletproof.

Reactions: Damo H

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
I take it you drive a Manual. I’ve heard the Clutch is made of melted chocolate.

Not all. My mate sold his DSG R because the gearbox was nothing but trouble. He bought an M2 to sit in his garage with his Focus RS!

Deleted member 103408

Sorry to but in (with a non related answer) DSG Generally are strong box's (this coming from a guy who had to replace his DSG Gearbox).
They can easily take 450lbft of Torque and 600 bhp. However as with every bit of mechanical kit they can break.
My new one has so far been very good and I have had no issues.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Golf 7 GTI / R / Cupra mk3 mostly have DSG in Sweden. I haven’t heard about clutch as a “common problem” in Golf R before. Mine was manual but to be honest it’s the only manual 7 R I have seen in SE… very rare.

/Peter

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
I have a manual, and I originally thought it was the clutch pedal itself, but then they told me there was a known fault with the master cylinders on the clutches. They have since ruled that out and called me for my permission to take the gearbox to pieces, so I will keep you up to date.

Update on my evening in the golf R DSG 2017. Feels much more planted when I put my foot down, and the fake engine rumble is nicer in the cabin in race mode than my Cupra, sounds more serious. Have to admit, it's not as much fun to drive as my manual Cupra, but it feels like I could drive it faster, easier and more safely. It's very good. In traffic, when the car is deciding between first and second its a bit jerky!? OK it's easier using one foot etc, but in my manual I can drive smoothly at slow speeds. this struggles.

The cabin looks like I could be driving a diesel though, nothing in there to suggest I'm driving the top of the range racer, no splashes of red or carbon or any clues except a couple of teeny tiny R details on the steering wheel and gear stick. It's just black and a boring. Some people like that, but I like a bit of drama in the cabin, anyone else? Oh and the big silver door mirrors look awful now compared to the sleek black ones on the Cupra, on the blue that I have especially.

Talk about getting me a like-for-like car though, gloss black trims all round...

oeeAup4.jpg

8jDuQeR.jpg

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
I have a manual, and I originally thought it was the clutch pedal itself, but then they told me there was a known fault with the master cylinders on the clutches. They have since ruled that out and called me for my permission to take the gearbox to pieces, so I will keep you up to date.

Update on my evening in the golf R DSG 2017. Feels much more planted when I put my foot down, and the fake engine rumble is nicer in the cabin in race mode than my Cupra, sounds more serious. Have to admit, it's not as much fun to drive as my manual Cupra, but it feels like I could drive it faster, easier and more safely. It's very good. In traffic, when the car is deciding between first and second its a bit jerky!? OK it's easier using one foot etc, but in my manual I can drive smoothly at slow speeds. this struggles.

The cabin looks like I could be driving a diesel though, nothing in there to suggest I'm driving the top of the range racer, no splashes of red or carbon or any clues except a couple of teeny tiny R details on the steering wheel and gear stick. It's just black and a boring. Some people like that, but I like a bit of drama in the cabin, anyone else? Oh and the big silver door mirrors look awful now compared to the sleek black ones on the Cupra, on the blue that I have especially.

Talk about getting me a like-for-like car though, gloss black trims all round...

oeeAup4.jpg

8jDuQeR.jpg

You can have the mirrors in black or carbon. Carbon ones are expensive though!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.