Disc noise at low speed?

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
As the title says..
Anyone had any disc noise at low speed, say reversing off drive and light on breaks and hear light grinding?
Like you get when car has stood for a long time but usually clears after s few dabs of the breaks?
My car has done 7000 miles and I think it’s the rear discs?
They look like they both have some scaring, but hard to tell if it is the rears from in the car.
Gonna call the dealers Monday but interested if anyone else had any issues?
Defective discs etc.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
As the title says..
Anyone had any disc noise at low speed, say reversing off drive and light on breaks and hear light grinding?
Like you get when car has stood for a long time but usually clears after s few dabs of the breaks?
My car has done 7000 miles and I think it’s the rear discs?
They look like they both have some scaring, but hard to tell if it is the rears from in the car.
Gonna call the dealers Monday but interested if anyone else had any issues?
Defective discs etc.

Been exactly there with the same car and in the end I put it down to normal. No judder on braking soft or hard so I don’t worry about it now.

My cars done similar mileage too.

Reactions: AshCupra300

Harber96

Nov 8, 2018
Exactly the same with mine buddy. Done 17k, only had it a week and noticed it straight away. It doesn't seem to be affecting overall breaking performance, and no judders at all - So all in all, i'm not too worried about it.

Let us know if you hear anything though, would be interesting to hear their diagnosis....

Reactions: AshCupra300

Theporter

Nov 4, 2018
Emailed my dealer a few days ago as expected heard nothing back,so took it for a free brake check he said nothing wrong with the brakes mines purely down to being stood at the dealers for a while before it was purchased so will see how it goes

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Exactly the same with mine buddy. Done 17k, only had it a week and noticed it straight away. It doesn't seem to be affecting overall breaking performance, and no judders at all - So all in all, i'm not too worried about it.

Let us know if you hear anything though, would be interesting to hear their diagnosis....

Will do

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
IME rear discs always eventually suffer from rust and corrosion, resulting in them becoming noisy.
I don't think I've ever replaced rear discs or pads due to them actually wearing out.

On my current Leon I replaced the discs and pads all round at approx 35K miles. The rear discs were a mess. Not due to wear but due to excessive corrosion. The inside pads being seized in the caliper/slider due to all the crap off the road also didn't help things.

The root cause of the problem is the rear brakes don't work hard enough to keep them clean, compared to the fronts.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Both our SEATs make a grinding brake noise after washing. It's the light coating of rust that develops on the discs. Next time you drive it, have a look at the discs before you move the car.

Reactions: Rooster

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
When there bone dry mine have never made a noise! I did however notice for the first few thousand miles they looked to be scoring which was odd! Eventually pulled them off to paint the centres and couldn't see anything that would of caused it!

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Both my Leon and Ibiza do it, especially after washing when the discs seem to get a light rusty surface in about a minute! I think the OE pads might be quite a hard compound to favour the fleet market.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Both our SEATs make a grinding brake noise after washing. It's the light coating of rust that develops on the discs. Next time you drive it, have a look at the discs before you move the car.

Yeah I have experienced this in other cars after washing or them standing for a while in wet conditions, but mine still does it after a good drive and use which should get rid of surface rust, but it doesn’t.

Reactions: LouG
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise