TDI How many miles is too many?

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
I’m still on the fence between 150/184ps power outputs. The bigger brakes and more sophisticated rear suspension appeal to the geek in me although the reality of my 20 mile commute on congested roads is I would probably struggle to notice the difference.

I think I’m going to buy on condition and spec and not let the power difference be the deciding factor. Of course all other things being equal I would go for the higher output.

My other thoughts are whether to shop for a high mileage car at the lower end of the price spectrum. I’m no stranger to some pretty high mileage TDI’s in the past eg an Octavia with 140k, several Passats with up to 160k, a Toledo with 120k etcetc im sure you get the idea. However each before have been the venerable 1.9TDI. I do have positive experiences of the 2.0TDI’s but both have been PD as opposed to CR and I am not sure as to whether the latest engines have the longevity. They are certainly more refined but is that at the expense of high mileage reliability.

Any thoughts gratefully awaited.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
The CR engines are decent engines. I can't see why with proper maintenance they wouldn't make it round the clock twice. Especially as Diesel engines are built stronger anyway to cope with the extra pressure.

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
I wanted the extra umph and glad I went with the 184 as I love it. Don't brake much, but on the odd occasion it has been handy to know they stop well even without ABS kicking in.

I do 55 miles a day and the small extra on insurance didn't bother me and still cheap £20 tax

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
Don’t get me wrong all other things being equal I would choose the 184.

Is there likely to be any reliability differences between the two power outputs. In particular is the 184 more highly stressed?

Thanks

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
With only a 20 mile congested commute I wouldn't be looking at a modern diesel at all, the DPF will be an issue and the economy not much better than a petrol.

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
I’m currently in a company GolfR which I love but buying privately I’m not looking to spend that sort of money.
I find the current small petrol turbo engines a bit weedy (obviously doesn’t apply to the current golf with 310ps!)

I ‘like’ the feel of a torquey turbo diesel. I had a mk 2 Leon FR 2.0 TDI PD back in 08, did much the same journey as now and never once saw a dpf light.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
in my experience high miles are rarely an issue to a well maintained engine. The problem with modern diesels is all the other stuff bolted onto it, DMF's, EGR's, DPF's. I'm on my 3rd vw group diesel and the first 2 starting showing signs of future issues with the egr and dmf above 80K miles.

Previous cars - all na petrols - i had few concerns running them above 100K miles, I ran one to just under 150K. I don't feel so confident with modern diesels.

On the 150 v 184 thing, when i was looking for mine there were a lot more 150's about and also a lot more 150's with factory fitted extra's. If i could have settled for a 150 I'd have been able to get one with seat sound etc, and have my choice of colour.

But I had to have the 184. The one time, even if it's only once a week when the extra performance puts a smile on your face makes it worth it.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I think this is likely an older pd engine, but found it interesting all the same:

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
My last PD was a '59 plate and didn't have a DPF as standard, but you could have one as an option - no idea why anyone would though.

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
For me wondering... my PD140 does it have a DPF?! Hmmm...

That said it’s done 117k and the engine etc seems good (touch wood)... other things are needing doing like rubbers etc but that’s not unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
my old 1.9 mechanical pump TDI lump in my MK2 Golf is on 212k haha. Don't worry about miles just worry about proper servicing.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members