Number Plates - Gel Resin or Pressed Metal?

Gel Resin or Pressed Metal?

• Total voters

Harber96

Nov 8, 2018
Hi guys,

I am going to upgrade my number plates and cannot choose between resin gel or metal... I have owned metal plates in the past, and I have known them to chip away pretty easy so I am looking at my options.

Let me know what you have, and what your experiences are! And dont be afraid to drop any recommendations in there either :)

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Only had pressed metal and they are starting to age. Thinking of changing to gel myself, but I used a sharpie to get an extra bit of life out of the pressed metal :lol:

X3RN

Nov 11, 2018
Norfolk, UK
I've personally got Gel Resin plates and I think they look great. I don't really like metal pressed plates at all.

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
I got metal plates and they look really good, only downside was they refused to stick on to the rear of the car, despite following the correct method etc, ended up screwing them in! Still look good every time I see them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Harber96

Harber96

Nov 8, 2018
Only had pressed metal and they are starting to age. Thinking of changing to gel myself, but I used a sharpie to get an extra bit of life out of the pressed metal :lol:

I am soo grateful that you mentioned that! I have had to do this myself multiple times. And under a bright light, it makes the plates look extremely patchy! Haha

Harber96

Nov 8, 2018
I've personally got Gel Resin plates and I think they look great. I don't really like metal pressed plates at all.
I really love how they look too. I just worry about chipping? Would a relatively large stone damage the surface do you think?

X3RN

Nov 11, 2018
Norfolk, UK
I really love how they look too. I just worry about chipping? Would a relatively large stone damage the surface do you think?
I think they're as durable if not more durable than regular number plates, They almost have a slight spongy feel to them. I think if they were hit by stones, The stones would just bounce straight back off.

Naylor92

Sep 16, 2018
I have the carbon gel plates from demon plates I think it was. Had them around 3 years now. Very good quality.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Slightly off topic, but when I bought a new car in the early 1980’s, pressed metal plates were the norm. I declined the dealer’s offer of having perspex plates, as they were going to charge me extra for them ☹️.

To answer the OP’s question; I’d choose the gel plates.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I've had pressed metal plates on my last 3 cars, I haven't had any new plates made for the leon though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise