Anything good for fogged up windows?

DAV3G46

May 7, 2015
So I suppose not really mk3 specific but anyone found anything good to stop the inside of your windows fogging up, my new Leon a pain for it. Air con on full whack clears it no probs but then a few minutes later its back again. I've given it a clean but still not great... tried some rain x stuff before but it was rubbish. Suggestions? Cheers

Reactions: cupra300uk

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
If it is excessive - you could try a couple of pingi dehumidifiers in the car

Also - check you don't have water in the car from a leak ( spare wheel well, rear footwells etc )

Reactions: DAV3G46

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
When was the pollen filter last changed? As above leave the air con on year round, more fuel is used having an open window.

Reactions: TheQuig

DAV3G46

May 7, 2015
Cheers, yeah I can leave ac on but tends to only clear when on high so bit of a pain.

Seen those pingi things didn't know if they were any good shall have a look

loyalbear1872

May 2, 2018
I live near Glasgow and with my current 67 reg Leon I've noticed that it also has the same problem as my previous 64 reg, that being on cold nights the interior windscreen has a lot of moisture on it. I've also had to scrape the inside also at times. Wiping the moisture also leaves bad streak marks. :(:(

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
Same problem with my 18 plate Cupra, have to have AC on full blast which is loud and also I imagine uses a lot of energy from the car which uses more fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smithcd

Apr 8, 2017
I’ll second rainX on the inside... really clean the windows well first with some Methanol or Methylated spirits

Sisqo_uk

Nov 9, 2017
I had this issue when I had my fiat bravo sport. As it was my second car I never had experience with climate control. But always misting up in winter. Now I have a mk3 Leon I understand it better. And I never new that it needed refreshing every so when it ran out.
But as it stands I can have my fans low and it will do what your asking, so I’d prob check out Seat to try the pollen filter/regent air condition.
I’m approaching my second winter in this car and I’m happy and confident this won’t be an issue because of this

andycupra

status subject to change
check for any leaks.%
remove anything in the car that's wet. (any cloths etc used to wipe the window you can put in a sealable bag).

Now understand that as air cools its capability to hold moisture reduces.. so if the air at 20 degrees has relative humidity level of say 75%, as the temperature cools overnight the relative humidity figures increases until you reach the dew point. - you tend to get more moisture form on the windows are these are the coldest bits.. (notice how headlights mist up when washing the car? - on that note if you get this issue and use a hair dryer to remove the moisture you must run the dryer on cold and remove the warm air)

Now, this time of year, its wet, its cold, you wear a coat... you breath... this all means that the air within a car tends to have high relative humidity as you introduce moisture and ramp up the temperature...
So the good news is you can do somethings to help. - for example, in addition to fixing any leaks and removing wet items ,plan ahead, and by that i mean, as you approach your destination, try and get the relative humidity down in the car. So hold your breath.. :)
Other ways to reduce the humidity may be to turn off the heater and open the windows to get some air changes through the car and hopefully reduce the humidity. - and/or run the air con to use the dehumidifying affects, but for this to work well you need to run the temperature lower.
and don't forget to do the windows up again! - hopefully this will reduce the build up.

The bad news.. is that moisture and misting up is a natural phenomenon all cars suffer, although the differing levels. Thickness of the glass, how air tight the car is, or is not... how wet the seats got when you sat on them with you wet jacket..

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
So I suppose not really mk3 specific but anyone found anything good to stop the inside of your windows fogging up, my new Leon a pain for it. Air con on full whack clears it no probs but then a few minutes later its back again. I've given it a clean but still not great... tried some rain x stuff before but it was rubbish. Suggestions? Cheers
It is possible that the drain outlet from the evaporator may be blocked thus causing a build up of water in what I think is called the plenum chamber, so giving very damp air through the air vents.

Hickery1995

Oct 23, 2018
My leon fr does the exact same.. no damp inside so not sure on the cause, I just keep my aircon on 23 degrees... doesnt make you sweat but keeps the windows desteamed aha

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
My car was valeted and because the carpets/seats were slightly damp afterwards I had really bad fogged up windscreen and windows.

Bought a Pingi dehumidifier and it was gone in a couple of days, would recommend one! Easy to recharge them by microwaving them too.

DAV3G46

May 7, 2015
Cheers for the comments folks, hopefully it's not a leak or a blocked filter as it's any about a month old, so shall stick the air con on for a few days and see how it fairs and look at the other suggestions as well

ajg74

Dec 9, 2016
Manchester
I don't find my Leon has issues with misting up badly ,is better than other cars I've had. 2 things I do in winter though is I close all the air vents which makes more air blow on the windscreen and feet, and when I know it's going to be frosty overnight I put a windscreen cover on the outside, this not only stops the windscreen freezing on the outside it also stops it misting up on the inside.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Once you get all the windows clear then open the windows for a few minutes, while driving, and let all the damp air out.

Provided the outside humidity is lower than inside your problem should be solved. All cars get this as the temperature starts to drop in winter. If you introduce water to the interior, on shoes or clothes, then you need to repeat each time.

If it comes back and you've not introduced more water then you may have a leak. A leak will usually end up with dripping condensation on all the windows, but in a month old car this is unlikely - unless due to a build error.

Reactions: andycupra