Creaking dash

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
Hi,

I have creaking or vibrating coming from the plastic window, in front of the speedo. It only happens on the rough back roads, and if i put some pressure on it with my hand it stops. It seems to be rubbing on the outer plastic surround with the vibration from the road.

Does anyone else have this annoyance? any way to fix this?

Cheers

Last edited:

Leo5559

Nov 27, 2018
41a00bfd74fad38e678205943adb0b37.jpg

Hello It seems i have same problem. I have leon 2.0 tdi excellence about 10 months and 12500 kms on it.

And since 2000 km from that spot on the picture something started rattling, but sometimes, the rattle is not constant but periodically, doesnt depend on the road tho.

And here is video https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yEQQJeNeA0YI2cur1PuyzbnS8pSOoUd4/view?usp=drivesdk

Any idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X3RN

Nov 11, 2018
Norfolk, UK
I have the exact same issue. I've read about a bit and some people say it's the clips that hold the speedo etc in. I need to open my dash up and possibly put some padding behind the speedo to stop it moving about as much,

Reactions: MiTz

Jamie7

Oct 5, 2011
Cornwall
I have this issue also. I did put a thin foam pad in-between the cluster screen and plastic which helped to a degree but no 100%.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MiTz

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015

This rattle can be fixed by removing the A-pillar trim and adding packing to the bottom edge where it fits into the edge of the dash-top.

Starting from the top, pull the trim off. Remember to unplug the speaker. You'll see where the bottom edge slots into the groove in the dash. Put some tape on that edge so that it's a tight fit and put the trim back on. Should fix it.

Reactions: MiTz and Leo5559

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a go at it when I get chance. At the moment I'll just keep turning up the stereo :)

Leo5559

Nov 27, 2018
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a go at it when I get chance. At the moment I'll just keep turning up the stereo :)

U have the same problem, the same rattle from the same spot right?

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
U have the same problem, the same rattle from the same spot right?

No mate, mine is coming from the speedo cluster. I think because the speedo is such a snug fit, it's vibrating or rubbing agaist the surrounding plastic. I'm sure it's just as annoying though.

Best of luck sorting it

Jamie7

Oct 5, 2011
Cornwall
No mate, mine is coming from the speedo cluster. I think because the speedo is such a snug fit, it's vibrating or rubbing agaist the surrounding plastic. I'm sure it's just as annoying though.

Best of luck sorting it
Yeah this is the problem with mine. It seems to get better once the car has warmed up for me.

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
Nice one, i have some sticky pads here at work, I'll give it a bash later :)

Jamie7

Oct 5, 2011
Cornwall
That's great, as long as you like having the steering wheel at the highest position...
My thoughts also. But maybe you could add more material between said crack meaning it needs less force so possible for lower height? Not sure, going to try at the weekend.

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
Let me know if it works

It works !

Sticky pads aren't needed though. I just folded a large microfiber cloth to the same width as the steering column, and wedged it on top. Then just raised the steering back up until i could see the speedo move up slightly and locked it in place.

The cloth is only temporary. I'm going to look for a black piece of sturdy foam or something, but I'd say anything that is not solid will do the job. Something soft enough to wedge in there, but also can absorb the vibration without cracking anything. You can also have the steering at any height, just make a wedge that suits your preferred position.

Happy days, no more noise :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamie7

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
41a00bfd74fad38e678205943adb0b37.jpg

Hello It seems i have same problem. I have leon 2.0 tdi excellence about 10 months and 12500 kms on it.

And since 2000 km from that spot on the picture something started rattling, but sometimes, the rattle is not constant but periodically, doesnt depend on the road tho.

And here is video https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yEQQJeNeA0YI2cur1PuyzbnS8pSOoUd4/view?usp=drivesdk

Any idea?

I have the same rattle in same area. But as I'm a rhd, it's definitely not the steering column.

3e65e032add2c1e524b89bf8ee2fa64a.jpg

Mine seams to be coming from where the dash overlaps itself.
I noticed it creaks certain times. Probably to do with the weather temp. Sun beating down on dash.
Needless to say when mine plays up I just massage the dash a bit, as it's a little rubbery, and the noise goes away for a while.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.