Aidan's Mk2 Leon Cupra

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
Hello everyone! I recently bought myself a 57 plate black mk2 Leon Cupra, only drove it for one day so far though :( The passenger door will not lock and when you lock the doors and unlock, the drivers door doesn't unlock. Gutted as it means I have to drive my old civic for at least another 2 weeks whilst it gets sorted under warranty. Anyway absolutely loved the drive back! The power is amazing and I'm coming from a 2.2 civic with 200bhp and 325lb ft torque!

This is the old civic
FB-IMG-1536102111000.jpg

and this is the new Cupra!
PSFix-20181127-010249.jpg

That's the only photo I have at the moment as I'm away from home through the week but will get some nice ones as soon as its all clean and sorted :)

To be honest this "Modification thread" is probably going to be more of a diary/changelog as I don't think i'll ever be going to crazy with mods, just a general tidy up and bits and bobs here and there. Plus I still have another year and a half left at uni!

First things I'll be doing is giving it a good clean, change oil (5W 40), oil filter, new bosch spark plugs (I believe are OEM and have read OEM are the ones to get) and a brake fluid flush because as far as I am aware this is long overdue although the breaks feel great compared to the civic!

Anyway all changes big or small I make to the car will be posted here and do have a few cosmetic mods in mind :)

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Reactions: Aidanr97

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
Looking good! Will look forward to seeing what you do with it. Check out my Cupra readers ride if you feel like blowing a shed load of money on it LOL:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=435417

Also, and this is just my personal opinion, I would only ever buy NGK spark plugs. Not sure if it's the same for pre-facelift, but you can just enter your reg no to find out:
https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/...b9af240c965a501a7e8cc2ed93b80d4a1e9490&000301

Thanks mate! I'll definitely have a look through your thread :)

I was looking at eurocarparts for the service bits and its only and extra 2 quid for the NGK plugs so I think I'll go for those

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Thanks mate! I'll definitely have a look through your thread :)

I was looking at eurocarparts for the service bits and its only and extra 2 quid for the NGK plugs so I think I'll go for those

Oh... and if you have a spare half hour, there's also a Cupra guide... section 3 is things to look out for on the engine.
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/seat-leon-mk2-cupra-r-2011-revo-2.446059/

Bargain. I've seen mixed reviews of the Bosch. But only good things about NGK.

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
So started off ordering a few bits for her, when I got the car the oil was on the minimum mark, and then the idiot salesman topped it up past the max. The car was only driven on the day I bought it so just gonna drop out the old oil and replace with the shell helix ultra 5w40. Also went for the NGK spark plugs thanks to Legojon for the reccomendation!

Screenshot-20181129-153430.jpg

Also picked up some of this dot 4 brake fluid from ECP, had fluid boil on me in the past (stopped safely) and no idea when it was last changed so not taking any chances lol

Screenshot-20181129-153625.jpg

And last but definitely not least picked up a cam follower kit from awesome GTi, no invoices to say this has ever been done and I'm at 73k now.

Reactions: Leeoncupra

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
So started off ordering a few bits for her, when I got the car the oil was on the minimum mark, and then the idiot salesman topped it up past the max. The car was only driven on the day I bought it so just gonna drop out the old oil and replace with the shell helix ultra 5w40. Also went for the NGK spark plugs thanks to Legojon for the reccomendation!

Screenshot-20181129-153430.jpg

Also picked up some of this dot 4 brake fluid from ECP, had fluid boil on me in the past (stopped safely) and no idea when it was last changed so not taking any chances lol

Screenshot-20181129-153625.jpg

And last but definitely not least picked up a cam follower kit from awesome GTi, no invoices to say this has ever been done and I'm at 73k now.
Might be worth refreshing the pcv and the dv with the latest revisions , all of which are found on r tech website

I changed mine precautionary due to going for a map and found the car to run much better although it showed no obvious signs they needed changing

Food for thought.

leon mk1 cupra

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
Might be worth refreshing the pcv and the dv with the latest revisions , all of which are found on r tech website

I changed mine precautionary due to going for a map and found the car to run much better although it showed no obvious signs they needed changing

Food for thought.

leon mk1 cupra

Thanks mate, will definitely pick one up before I do any performance mods :)

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
This post is full of pictures of the car getting cleaned mostly! I have tried to optimize them as best as I can for the forum.

Been a busy day today! Drove home from Leeds to pick up the cupra and drive it to my local seat garage who are running a diagnostic for me to see exactly what is wrong, I let them do it as that is the claims process for my warranty provider. Waited about an hour for them to have a look at it, whilst they were busy I was sat drooling over this!

cupra-11.jpg

What a beauty!

Anyway they came back and said both the drivers and passengers door locking modules are bad and they need replacing so they have called my warranty provider and are in the process of getting the repair authorized. They also did a full health check and the only thing that came up was the door locking module, everything else is perfect which is good to know, although it did pass its MOT 2 weeks ago with no advisory.

Because they wont be able to repair the car today I took it home, I don't have uni today so thought I would give it a quick maintenance wash so I could firstly clean it up abit and also inspect the paintwork and really see what sort of condition it is in.

Garden is an absolute s**t hole sorry :lol:

This is how it looks before the wash

cupra-12.jpg

cupra-14.jpg

Started off by spraying wheels with some KKD brakeaway diluted around 1:6 and agitated with a microfibre wheel cleaning tool.

Then onto bilt hamber autofoam snowfoam. The cheap snowfoam lance is knackered so not really getting a great coverage.

cupra-15.jpg

cupra-17.jpg

Made sure to get everywhere, in the wheel arch, under sideskirts etc. Then jetwashed off after leaving a minute or so to dwell.

2BM wash with EZ Car care Supercharged shampoo (There is a third bucket but that was for the wheels lol)

cupra-19.jpg

cupra-21.jpg

Looking abit better. Dried off with the KKD Silverback xl drying towel.

cupra-28.jpg

I've had this towel for about 3 years now and have never got on with it, none of them seem to absorb any water, maybe I have washed them wrong or something but they leave horrible streaks and always have done :(

cupra-29.jpg

I dried it the best I could and hoped any watermarks would come out when I quickly go over it with some spray sealant.

Here is the sealant of choice, EZ Car Care Ghost, they say on a perfectly prepped car you can get 6-8 months protection so I'll be happy if I get a few months out of it as I haven't taken any steps to prepare the paintwork for any sealant/wax.

I do have a pot of Fusso which I love, just dont fancy the absolute agony of getting the stuff off :lol:

cupra-31.jpg

Gives a lovely shine, not seen how water reacts on the paint yet but will post some beading pictures soon :)

cupra-34.jpg

cupra-47.jpg

Not too bad at all... From a distance :(

Went over the glass quickly with some Gecko, again from EZ Car care.

cupra-46.jpg

And here is how it will sit until I drive it back to the dealers hopefully for repair

cupra-52.jpg

Absolutely love the colour of the car and how it looks! Just a shame the previous owner has not cared for the paintwork even remotely. Looks like its been parked under a tree for 10 years. Hopefully at some point next year I can spend a full day giving it a proper de-con and paint correction!

Also, I'm lucky enough to have an OEM arm-rest, however one of the hinges inside are broken. Does anyone know if it's possible to just buy a hinge? If not I'll probably bodge something together :p

Reactions: louiskopite

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Car looks great! not tried any of them products either so it's good to see how they look after a clean.

May I recommend a drying aid to help you dry it off? I use Autofinesse Finale which is basically a fast detailer I think, it normally takes 2 or 3 towels (1200gsm) to dry my car off properly but with the Finale I did it one and I didn't get smears...

How do you wash your towel? I think if it's 3 years old you may want to get a new one on order... it's recommended to not use any form of powder or fabric conditioner in the wash and do it at about 40 degrees on the handwash funtion if you have it, I currently use Autobrite Microfibre washing liquid which works great for me. We have a thread going for detailing and what people use if that's of any use to you - https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/what-are-you-using.445746/

Hope that helps and hope you get your door modules done on warranty as the're about £250 each door i think lol

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
Car looks great! not tried any of them products either so it's good to see how they look after a clean.

May I recommend a drying aid to help you dry it off? I use Autofinesse Finale which is basically a fast detailer I think, it normally takes 2 or 3 towels (1200gsm) to dry my car off properly but with the Finale I did it one and I didn't get smears...

How do you wash your towel? I think if it's 3 years old you may want to get a new one on order... it's recommended to not use any form of powder or fabric conditioner in the wash and do it at about 40 degrees on the handwash funtion if you have it, I currently use Autobrite Microfibre washing liquid which works great for me. We have a thread going for detailing and what people use if that's of any use to you - https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/what-are-you-using.445746/

Hope that helps and hope you get your door modules done on warranty as the're about £250 each door i think lol

Cheers mate!

I quite like the EZ car care products, very reasonably priced and really good for the money.

Yeah that's a good idea, I've used quick detailers in the past as a drying aid straight after the wash and it worked alot better but not perfect.

I'm pretty sure they have been washed with normal detergent which would probably explains it, i might invest in a new drying towel and some microfibre wash liquid.

Yeah I hope so too lol, they quoted me just over £680 to fix including an hour's diagnostics :eek:

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
Cheers mate!

I quite like the EZ car care products, very reasonably priced and really good for the money.

Yeah that's a good idea, I've used quick detailers in the past as a drying aid straight after the wash and it worked alot better but not perfect.

I'm pretty sure they have been washed with normal detergent which would probably explains it, i might invest in a new drying towel and some microfibre wash liquid.

Yeah I hope so too lol, they quoted me just over £680 to fix including an hour's diagnostics :eek:
Make sure you get replacement new door modules and not the WD40 fix at that price

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I use a Klin Korea drying towel, it does the whole car without needing to wring it out at all. It really works like in the vid. You just pull it across each panel.

Aidanr97

Nov 25, 2018
Doncaster/Leeds
Make sure you get replacement new door modules and not the WD40 fix at that price

Yeah, I've heard about those temp fixes, luckily I'm in warranty so not paying a penny for it.

I use a Klin Korea drying towel, it does the whole car without needing to wring it out at all. It really works like in the vid. You just pull it across each panel.

Heard good things about those drying towels, might snap one up once Christmas is out of the way :) it's a shame as the silverback XL is supposedly a very highly rated drying towel and loads have no issues

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Yes I understand that just make sure they actually replace them, is all
I agree with this... It took me 45 minutes to do all 4 doors and you'd never know unless you take off the trim to have a look for a tiny drill hole...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.