Please Help. Cupra 300 discs fail/problem!

Naps

Oct 26, 2018
Hello, I'm driving a Cupra 300 with the Performance pack, i have the 370mm brembo discs on, and i have a big problem with the discs i guess who not even the dealer could solve. After a 30 km road (home/work) i have this strange noise coming i guess from the front discs, and i also have some vibration on the steering wheel, as you will can see in the video i'll post below, imagine if i push a little bit. Now the problem is that the dealer, WV group mecanics didn't found the problem, i mean they had my car twice in a month, for 3 days each time and the only thing they did is, cleaning the rear brake discs and pads and that's all and i even payed a 190 euros fee because they said that the guarantee can get charge only if the car has less then 6.000 km or 6 month of age. My Cupra is a 2017 with 26.000 km and "I HAVE A 3 YEARS GUARANTEE"!
Now i want to solve this problem, and my question is: Should i go back to them and take the risk of paying a lot of money for nothing, or going to a spec garage buying and puting an aftermarket kit of discs and solving the thing? Even if i think it's strange that the guarantee in useless in this case. I'm very confused. Seat asks about 3k for the brembo's and then it doesn't work well. Thank you

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Wow, that is weird... did you actually touch the brake pedal (I didn't see your foot push it). Almost sounds like the pads are dragging on the disc, like the pistons aren't retracting fully. Could you go to an independent garage and get a written quote to fix the work .. then take that to the dealer and ask them to fix it under warranty?

Reactions: Naps

Naps

Oct 26, 2018
Wow, that is weird... did you actually touch the brake pedal (I didn't see your foot push it). Almost sounds like the pads are dragging on the disc, like the pistons aren't retracting fully. Could you go to an independent garage and get a written quote to fix the work .. then take that to the dealer and ask them to fix it under warranty?
Thanks for reply, so in the video when I touch the brake the sound disappears and when I release the brake it comes back! I want to mention that the garage at the moment had both of the videos and still didn’t know what to do! Do you think it will work if I do as you said?

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Not sure this is related, however I was in VAG Manchester asking about discs for the 370 kit and the stories of them warping etc.

He said loads of people say the TTRS is prone to warping (what I’ve heard myself) but it’s not.

The issue is with people and DSG boxes. So you rag your car, get the brakes and pads really hot, then when you come to a stop as it’s a DSG, you sit with your foot on the brake pedal creating a hot spot etc. It’s doing this again and again that ruins them. Best to slip the car into neutral after you stop and take foot of the brake.

Naps

Oct 26, 2018
Not sure this is related, however I was in VAG Manchester asking about discs for the 370 kit and the stories of them warping etc.

He said loads of people say the TTRS is prone to warping (what I’ve heard myself) but it’s not.

The issue is with people and DSG boxes. So you rag your car, get the brakes and pads really hot, then when you come to a stop as it’s a DSG, you sit with your foot on the brake pedal creating a hot spot etc. It’s doing this again and again that ruins them. Best to slip the car into neutral after you stop and take foot of the brake.
To be honest i never pushed my brakes to that point, I braked hard sometimes but at distance of time between them and not very very hard so I don’t think my discs get ever hot! Idk! :(

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016

This is exacerbated by the fact there's metal cores running through the Brembo pads. They create hot spots. You'd really have to be not letting the brakes cool down before sitting stationary for a fair bit for the damage to occur though. The metal cores have a tendency to form a lip at one edge, as the soft metal is pushed across the surface as the pad wears. The lip can drag on the disc and the cores can collect small pieces of grit in them, as they've very soft. Slightly misaligned wear indicators can also drag on the discs.. Get the brakes checked at an independent garage. Might just require a set of pads, if you're lucky.Unscrupulous dealers will obviously go for what they can get. Thankfully my dealership, Agnews, have an honest set of technicians & staff. I heard others weren't quite so professional. Could be the whole shebang, which would be upsetting. The discs have gone up in price recently. I hammer my brakes and the 370mm discs stood up to it without warping. Never touching Brembo pads again though. Go for Tarox pads regardless, but avoid their insanely priced discs. The pads are markedly the same price as the Brembo pads & the Brembo pads seem to be designed to cause damage to the discs for increased sales. I can see no other reason for the poor design.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
This is exacerbated by the fact there's metal cores running through the Brembo pads. They create hot spots. You'd really have to be not letting the brakes cool down before sitting stationary for a fair bit for the damage to occur though. The metal cores have a tendency to form a lip at one edge, as the soft metal is pushed across the surface as the pad wears. The lip can drag on the disc and the cores can collect small pieces of grit in them, as they've very soft. Slightly misaligned wear indicators can also drag on the discs.. Get the brakes checked at an independent garage. Might just require a set of pads, if you're lucky.Unscrupulous dealers will obviously go for what they can get. Thankfully my dealership, Agnews, have an honest set of technicians & staff. I heard others weren't quite so professional. Could be the whole shebang, which would be upsetting. The discs have gone up in price recently. I hammer my brakes and the 370mm discs stood up to it without warping. Never touching Brembo pads again though. Go for Tarox pads regardless, but avoid their insanely priced discs. The pads are markedly the same price as the Brembo pads & the Brembo pads seem to be designed to cause damage to the discs for increased sales. I can see no other reason for the poor design.
I was looking at changing the Discs, but you recommend just changing the pads instead?

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
I was looking at changing the Discs, but you recommend just changing the pads instead?
If you change the discs, you'll have to change the pads anyway. I'm recommending getting a second opinion, as you might just get away with the pads. The pads alone can deliver the symptoms you describe & can hear, but that doesn't mean the discs aren't warped too. They could be, but a few quid for a check on them could save you a fair few quid as opposed to just going ahead and replacing the lot. Depends on how much confidence you have in your dealer.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
If you change the discs, you'll have to change the pads anyway. I'm recommending getting a second opinion, as you might just get away with the pads. The pads alone can deliver the symptoms you describe & can hear, but that doesn't mean the discs aren't warped too. They could be, but a few quid for a check on them could save you a fair few quid as opposed to just going ahead and replacing the lot. Depends on how much confidence you have in your dealer.
Not fit the car yet so I don’t have any issues on not planning on having any haha

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
Can't help with your problem, but that is a "feature" - quite many Cupras with the Brembos do exactly that sound and have similar problems.
...I am kinda glad I don't have them.
I'd jack each wheel up and spin them in neutral to see if there binding.

There's a special tool for measuring if a disc is warped not sure what it's called tho u clamp it on and a needle touches the disc then u spin the disc and it takes a measurement.

DrEv1l

Mar 17, 2017
I had this issue twice with my brembo kit. The disks warped both times within 10k of changing them. Seat refused any warranty claim. In the end I changed to ebc redstuff pads with new disks to see if they were better. They have been much better, the feel is improved and there is no scoring on the discs that I got with the factory pads. As the poster above said, you do have to be careful especially when coming to a halt after exiting a motorway sliproad. Braking from that speed and coming to a halt caused my brembos to warp. The ebcs seem to manage the heat better. Mine is manual so i use the handbrake more. The auto hill start assist clamps on the brakes and can cause the warping too. It's why I'm glad i have a manual handbrake.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
First, unless you have weird consumer laws, the guarantee stands for three years.
That noise is very unusual, it's seems to be a harmonic from the pads, wear indicators, and/or anti squeal shims if fitted. A strip and clean should help with a bit of anti squeal lube on mating surfaces.
Warpage etc, is easily diagnosed by measuring run out. Is there any grooving in the disc faces? A disc skim will fix that
I fitted some slotted discs and carbon pads to an MX5 that did something similar. A change of pads stopped it.
The best option would be to try some used pads before you buy a set.

This kind of thing is common on bike discs.

Naps

Oct 26, 2018
Thank you for all those answers, in the passed 30 days I went with my cupra twice by seat, they basically don’t know or don’t want to solve the problem and every time they say that they cleaned the pads and discs bla bla bla. Honestly I’m tired with this story, what i’m Gonna so it’s trying with an other dealer and see what’s happening! And i’m Seriously thinking to get a pair of brand 2 aftermarket discs if anything changes!

gof

Oct 10, 2016
Croatia
My Cupra does the same noise only if the disc is hot, its nothing unusual. You come to a stop, since its a dsg you hold the brakes, since it’s extremely warm your brake disc probably expands a fraction of a inch there and then make squeaking noise or whatever since it’s rubbing against the pads.
It occurs on mine only a min or two after that stop and it’s noticeable only while driving extremely slowly.
I had that noise around 10-15 times in month and half that I own the car.
Peace of advice, if coming to a stop and it’s level ground put it in neutral. Doing that I never ever had that noise no matter how heavy I brake.
Spoke to guys at Audi because Seat literally sold like 2 cars with these brakes here and have no idea what’s going on. One of the service guys at Audi told me to try with putting it in neutral after heavy breaking if possible to avoid holding the brake and as I sad before it worked.
Also worth mentioning, couple of weeks ago, friend and I took facelift RS3 from the dealer with normal brakes not CC ones and after heavy or even normal but longer braking the same sound occurred.

Naps

Oct 26, 2018
My Cupra does the same noise only if the disc is hot, its nothing unusual. You come to a stop, since its a dsg you hold the brakes, since it’s extremely warm your brake disc probably expands a fraction of a inch there and then make squeaking noise or whatever since it’s rubbing against the pads.
It occurs on mine only a min or two after that stop and it’s noticeable only while driving extremely slowly.
Peace of advice, if coming to a stop and it’s level ground put it in neutral. Doing that I never ever had that noise no matter how heavy I brake.
Spoke to guys at Audi because Seat literally sold like 2 cars with these brakes here and have no idea what’s going on. One of the service guys at Audi told me to try with putting it in neutral after heavy breaking if possible to avoid holding the brake and as I sad before it worked.
Also worth mentioning, couple of weeks ago, friend and I took facelift RS3 from the dealer with normal brakes not CC ones and after heavy or even normal but longer braking the same sound occurred.
Man, I know that after a hard push you might have some noises coming from the brake, but in my case the noise is very very loud, even the people in the car next to me can feel that noise. This is just to make you understand the level of noise and vibration I have!

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

On the 300 DSG, no need to hold your foot on the brake, the automatic hill hold kicks in so you can take your foot off the brakes and the rear handbrake stays on. The dash shows a green (P) symbol. Will no doubt help with this issue.

gof

Oct 10, 2016
Croatia
I’m sorry if it’s really that bad, told you everything I know I thought will help.
My brakes do the same, also people in car next to me can hear it. While parking in local mall a guy once told me I’m pulling some metal from beneath the car in fact those were the brakes making the noise. Good luck with sorting in out!

On the 300 DSG, no need to hold your foot on the brake, the automatic hill hold kicks in so you can take your foot off the brakes and the rear handbrake stays on. The dash shows a green (P) symbol. Will no doubt help with this issue.
Thanks man, I’ll give it a try. I avoided that all the time cause once I got stuck in traffic on a steep road and got bored of holding the brake so I activated auto hill hold and after that it literally produced the most awful noise ever. Maybe it clamped the front brakes also since it was very steep!?
Worth a shot anyway, will try it tomorrow for sure on normal road.

Naps

Oct 26, 2018
Hi guys, so My cupra went in the 30.000 km service, they charged my pads but that noise is still there, they won’t change me the discs in guarantee so I decided to replace my brembo discs with some good aftermarket discs can fit with the brembo pads and calliper. Can you guys give me some examples of what discs I can fit? Thank you! This is the noise after changing the pads!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members