Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
Have you paid for Map Care update services?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It's not available in the UK you have to see a man with a dog which is what Walone and I did. He was the Guinea Pig. Basically you turn your unit into a retrofit which then allows side loading. Draw your attention to post 388 and my musing above it. I spent about 15 months trying to sort it out and asked the dog owner last year. The dog wasn't released with the software to mod then. Walone found it was now. He got his done for £200, mine cost £300. If it was available in the UK Mapcare post delivery would cost £600, German Europe prices covered or £120 or so if bought with it on. Not available in the UK but in Ireland. Blah, blah ditto across all of Europe.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/sw-update-for-mib2-infotainment-system.427280/page-20

Basically the nav high has been withdrawn from Seat in the UK, now only on Cupras by default least on the Ateca Cupra thus alot of people getting these second-hand or long term owners will in years to come will be looking for a man with dog.... Just a crazy situation that Seat UK is in and propagates. Zero thought and customer care.

PS I see your hardware is H54, mine was H50, your software is 1219. The modded one I got put on was 1338, previous in the 600s on a 2016/17. So you might find yourself waiting till something is available which is basically what happended to me. That other thread is about firmware where people just want the latest standard. I think that falls off the back of a lorry as well if you read the requests and the Spanish board they index. As I recall Walone updated the firmware himself, not something I've done but then needed the experts to get it made into a retrofit unit.

So basically my High unit got turned from the launch Ateca unit into the 2018 version (or 2019. Not sure yet who got 1338) so I was also happy about that as well. Your maps BTW on that unit are now one year old. That is the November 2017 release.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bart300

Bart300

Jun 25, 2018
HP19
Thanks Tell.
Now it all make sense.
EDIT:
Maps are Nov 2017 as car has been registered in March 2018. It has been as a demo car and I have bought it in June.
I have been told that all is updated and nothing to worry about.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
I have been told that all is updated and nothing to worry about.

They told me that when I messed mine up in 2017 via experimenting. Basically they get confused about firmware and map updates. So I was told there were no new updates for the maps. There were but I reckon the two they run in tandom or think they do, so Seat UK told the dealer I was uptodate when they sort the solution to my experimentations. Sorted out myself the solution to my experimentations the day before it was due to go in for paid fix. I'd wrongly labelled up the download for what I though was the release the car came with. We learn by our mistakes... took a month of being locked out of navigation thou :). I needed somebody to tell me this clearly on boards at the time. They didn't.

How navigation mib2 high updates work without Mapcare you can update aspects of the navigation software via the developers SWDL menu (voice, eggnog etc) but not the Navdb. It locks you out till you go back to the one that tallies with that installed or ones before. Retrofit ones without Mapcare use the SWDL menu as the means of update but have the control software removed so you cant be selective on which elements of the map update to read in, just the whole lot. Least that's how mine works now. I got into the SWDL command after reading how people were doing it on VW and Skoda mib2 high retrofit units but no good if it's not actually a retrofit.

The update is much better locked down than the standard one by signing the update files and signing the update itself once it goes into the unit there is no workaround by tinkering with the files unlike the standard mib2 unit (tried hard enough on that one). Mib1 solutions rest on a retrofit for both standard and high. Mib2 High is very similar to Mib1 High, they use the same map update file so retrofit people were well versed in what they needed to do for Mib2 High. Exciter needs considerable credit for engineering the workaround for Mib2 Standard and then finding the filed patent subsequently which explained the database structure. The text in early January 2017 makes a nice little read between him and the other person who was looking at it.

Jan 8, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I was trying to update the navigation in my SEAT and i have accidentally deleted the original "maps" file from my cars SD card. I understand from reading lots of your posts that the best way to update maps is to download the new update and then copy across the "OVERALL.NDS" file from the original folder that shoud've been backed up. Obviously i am unable to do that as i have deleted the file.

My question is, would it still work if someone were to send me their own "OVERALL.NDS" file from one of their back ups and i just use that to get mine working again? or will the memory card reject it?

kickdown

Oct 5, 2018
Sofia, Bulgaria
Hi Everyone,

I was trying to update the navigation in my SEAT and i have accidentally deleted the original "maps" file from my cars SD card. I understand from reading lots of your posts that the best way to update maps is to download the new update and then copy across the "OVERALL.NDS" file from the original folder that shoud've been backed up. Obviously i am unable to do that as i have deleted the file.

My question is, would it still work if someone were to send me their own "OVERALL.NDS" file from one of their back ups and i just use that to get mine working again? or will the memory card reject it?
Give me your email.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
Hi Everyone,

We actually dealt with it. You say which version of the mib2 standard maps you have. Your search, get it. Download. All done. That file is fixed to the release not your car.

Jan 8, 2019
We actually dealt with it. You say which version of the mib2 standard maps you have. Your search, get it. Download. All done. That file is fixed to the release not your car.

Thanks for replying. Where can i find this information so i know which version of mib2 i have? And then where can i download it from?

Sorry if i'm being stupid, this has been a big learning curve for me.

Thanks

Tell

Staff member
Thanks for replying. Where can i find this information so i know which version of mib2 i have? And then where can i download it from?

Sorry if i'm being stupid, this has been a big learning curve for me.

Thanks

ThePorter had the same issue see posts leading to 1363.

What we need is the year that the card used or the card serial number on the box / picture good. It will be ECE1 and a year code. Then you Google to find the download and from there your back in business. That's how I solved ThePorters issue by finding the map release he'd deleted.

I thought it worked like that and it did.

Provide the same information as he did then I can Google for the release to match. Has to be Mib2 standard thou !.

So in the photo 1362 it's fixed.

Jan 8, 2019
ThePorter had the same issue see posts leading to 1363.

What we need is the year that the card used or the card serial number on the box / picture good. It will be ECE1 and a year code. Then you Google to find the download and from there your back in business. That's how I solved ThePorters issue by finding the map release he'd deleted.

I thought it worked like that and it did.

Provide the same information as he did then I can Google for the release to match. Has to be Mib2 standard thou !.

So in the photo 1362 it's fixed.

Okay so the card says "SEAT Navgation AS, Europa, (V4)" and serial number is "5F0060884AK"

And luckily i took a picture of my sat nav screen before i messed everything up. The version info was

"6P0919866R

ECE1 2017/18

SHIELD 2016-44 (Build 309)"

Thanks for helping!

Tell

Staff member
Okay so the card says "SEAT Navgation AS, Europa, (V4)" and serial number is "5F0060884AK"

And luckily i took a picture of my sat nav screen before i messed everything up. The version info was

"6P0919866R

ECE1 2017/18

SHIELD 2016-44 (Build 309)"

Thanks for helping!

This should do the trick:

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/STD2_820_EU1_201718.zip

So that one should contain the file OVERALL.NDS that matches your SD card hidden partition release. Get that working then do it again the correct way.... saying that I'm about to do it myself with a standard unit - the new baby so I'm hoping for no birthing issues.

Reactions: Walone
Jan 8, 2019
This should do the trick:

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/STD2_820_EU1_201718.zip

So that one should contain the file OVERALL.NDS that matches your SD card hidden partition release. Get that working then do it again the correct way.... saying that I'm about to do it myself with a standard unit - the new baby so I'm hoping for no birthing issues.

Thank you so much for your help! I'm downloading the file now, hopefully itll work. just so i am sure, i have to do the following:
1. Download the file through the link you posted.
2. Put that on my SD card and put into my car to check it works
3. Save a back up copy of the files on the SD card
4. Update SD card with new maps files
5. Copy over OVERALL.NDS file in the new files with the OVERALL.NDS file from this link?

Is that correct?

Thanks again

Tell

Staff member
Thank you so much for your help! I'm downloading the file now, hopefully itll work. just so i am sure, i have to do the following:
1. Download the file through the link you posted.
2. Put that on my SD card and put into my car to check it works
3. Save a back up copy of the files on the SD card
4. Update SD card with new maps files
5. Copy over OVERALL.NDS file in the new files with the OVERALL.NDS file from this link?

Is that correct?

Thanks again

Yes.

Reactions: sistemist

Tell

Staff member
Glad to hear it works.

I think the VW link bundle 1 is the best link now the dust has settled as far as covering most of Europe as I gave above, taking say a Golf 2017, Discover Media which is the MIB2 standard / Seat defined 6P test as per their documentation. From the earlier posts and what was on the German board VW changed the contents of the files so bundle 1 is now the more appropriate one for Europe unless you live on the borders where one of the other alternative may be better.

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/

or direct link to bundle 1 download file

http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1115_V10.7z
  • Updated: : 10/1/18 (European 1/10/2018)
  • File format: : 7-Zip
  • Coverage: :
    Albania*, Andorra, Austria, Belarus*, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina*, Bulgaria*, Croatia, Cyprus*, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia*, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Island, Italy, Kosovo*, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Macedonia (Former Republic of Yugoslavia)*, Moldova*, Monaco, Montenegro*, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania*, San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia*, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Ukraine*, United Kingdom, Vatican City

* in parts

I just did this one above with the workaround on our new edition which has standard Mib2... (revised ECE1 Europe 2019 maps). Did an Obdeleven scan before and after. No SVM errors. It was on 1030 ECE1 2018/19.

I thought the first map check took longer than before. Maybe it rebuilds indexes.... may be my impatiences.

Got to take it out for a spin to check how it shows the road speed limits as before where it doesn't show them on some types of roads. I put it on demo mode just to check it was working.

So thanks Exciter for that now I've got a standard as well as a plus :). Can now see how each unit works. Wonderful mispronunciation last night coming home... Dock becomes Duck. Proceed on the A whatever towards whatever Duck. We passed the town with the duck in it. As they say you get what you pay for. Representation on the standard unit isn't as good as the high. Doesn't work so fluidly as the high unit on roundabouts keeping track with where you are. Whilst the screens look similar there are differences in the behaviour. Now I've updated to the latest, listen with interest to whether dock and duck is sorted :). Same female voice.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
What option do you use for which sat nav system you're downloading for?

Based on the link in the Ateca thread

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....f-woe-vw-pulled-the-update-site-again.444799/

I use the PocketWorld "Other" set. Do it twice, once for the UK and again for Europe. My notes

Selected the EU and UK GPX,

Note the PocketGPSWorld splits the UK for Europe

UK and Europe Database

Note that the European database DOES NOT include UK cameras. This is because the UK database is in mph and the European database is in kmh. If you want both UK and Europe then you will need to download both versions.

That's

- other GPX on the drop down

- included the pMobiles

So I get all fixed cameras for the UK, all mobile cameras for the UK and repeat for Europe.

I picked

- EUR - Single File with All Cameras and accepted French and Swiss cameras, note the warning.

& Download.

Then need to pick the UK since they aren't in the EU one as noted above:

- UK - single file all cameras

& Download.

At this point you have four POI files and matching speed camera images for upload which covers the whole of Europe and the UK !.

Unzip and store.

Some of that text may appear in the link.

Since documenting POInspect0r on that thread Radas the developer has slightly altered the screens but only slightly. He has fixed the Google screen mapping issue I mentioned above. Works fine on a plus and we know it does on standard units that have been around for a bit. I'm currently getting it going on the latest 2019 Mib2 standard (8" two buttons and a touch screen, H50). The issue is that VAG group specify these units by a code which they can change on new models. I will know soon whether that one needs the developer to do anything extra. Just updated to 6.k tonight the latest program. Yet to find out whether the latest release works with 2019 models or needs some changes. Had problems with the summer 6.8 release with the latest Mib2 standard hardware. Since only had access to this car recently haven't really made much progress apart from finding the summer release didn't work with it. Hoping 6.k will work. I provided some test data in that link where the import can be tested prior to signing up to GPS World or indeed the token amount Radas asks to fund his project.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
No
Only once to /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS

Correct. I only told him to restore it back to how it was to test it and then move on. Each overall.nds file contains the release it's paired with. The pairing of the card to the unit is via the hidden directory and the pairing to the overall.nds file. You can change everything else on the card as long as the rest is a valid release. The way it's configured is to prevent piracy of the map cards rather than updates if you see what I mean.

Reactions: sistemist
Jan 9, 2019
Correct. I only told him to restore it back to how it was to test it and then move on. Each overall.nds file contains the release it's paired with. The pairing of the card to the unit is via the hidden directory and the pairing to the overall.nds file. You can change everything else on the card as long as the rest is a valid release. The way it's configured is to prevent piracy of the map cards rather than updates if you see what I mean.

I use "Volkswagen Discover" care for upgrade.
It recognize the SD as an orginal VW card (correct; Seat in a VW brand).
Easy and fast to use.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.