Model Year 19 Cupra ST 4 Drive Resonator Delete Issue

DS814

Apr 8, 2018
Took my new ST in for a Resonator delete today having purchased the Progressive Parts VAG Sport pipe well known on here.

There is a problem. SEAT have redesigned the resonator in the MY19 Cupra ST as per the two images. The single resonator on the 2018 model has been replaced by two smaller ones & the exhaust system splits. So the delete kit does not fit.

The guys at Progressive reckon it must but something to do with the new emissions regs & they said there appeared to be sensors in this new resonator part, possibly GPF related?

So in terms of getting a bit more noise from my ST without replacing the whole exhaust system I'm reconciled to a quiet car until someone comes up with a solution!

Thought I'd put this on here in case any new
IMG-20190109-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20190109-WA0001.jpg
MY 19 ST owners are considering the same mod.

Dave

Reactions: Mystery290

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Interesting as it appears the resonator no longer exists. Only the GPF which goes to show how much noise/restriction they place on the exhaust system.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Based on the sensor, its as if they've dropped the Res altogether and those 2 extra bits are the GPF.

It does look like there it an extra join in the system though here...
upload_2019-1-9_17-5-26.png

So will need a 'GPF Back' exhaust going forward rather than a 'Cat Back' system.

Reactions: KernelOkey

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
You only have to hear a de-cat pipe on a preface lift Cupra or the like to understand how restrictive these filters and cats are.

Reactions: Copra68

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
Looks like it'll be the same as the diesels then where a straight pipe after the dpf and cat doesn't make much difference.

Paul1979

Mar 30, 2018
Ahhh gutted to see this...the one thing mine needs is more noise. It's so quiet atm even on Cupra mode.

Someone hurry up and come up with a solution !

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
As Damoh has said I think any changes to the exhaust will have to be gpf back. Which means you will have to alter the back boxes in all fairness the car will probably sound better with less drone.

The GPFs appear to be monitored by two sensors a temp sensor and no doubt a lambda. So removing them means either software hacking or some kind of hardware that fools the ecu. I’m sure someone is working to make them disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
These are from the underside of the MY19 S3.
Same discussions over there.

It's a shame about the VAG sport Res delete as it was on the cards for me. It was just a matter of time. I liked ability to return to stock easily.

11a46dbba9222eba07b8119f682be8e5.jpg
fdea5bbd9d4ca5f200727ef54a3250eb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
These are from the underside of the MY19 S3.
Same discussions over there.

It's a shame about the VAG sport Res delete as it was on the cards for me. It was just a matter of time. I liked ability to return to stock easily.

11a46dbba9222eba07b8119f682be8e5.jpg
fdea5bbd9d4ca5f200727ef54a3250eb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Looks like the S3 still has 2 boxes in series compared to the ST having them in parallel. So potentially could just remove the middle silencer for them.

Wonder what the 5 door Cupra has.

Craig Elliott

Dec 28, 2018
Surely the 5 door will be basically the exact same just a little shorter? MY19 5 door arrives in march and was gonna get a Res Delete right away...

JoeG

Dec 9, 2018
I was at Progressive Parts yesterday at the same time as Dave looking to have the same thing done on my 68 plate st. Unfortunately mine could not be done either.
The guy at PP said that Seat seem to randomly choose between older exhaust systems (which can be modified) and the latest ones. He is in talks with VAG to see if they are developing a backbox delete which seems like the only fix.
I will post any updates if/when i hear anything.
Ps. Nice to meet you Dave, hope you had a great birthday despite the disappointment! Joe.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Surely the 5 door will be basically the exact same just a little shorter? MY19 5 door arrives in march and was gonna get a Res Delete right away...

The ST previously had a resonator then two rear boxes, one for each exit on either side. The 3dr/5dr 300 had a resonator then the single back box serving both exits. The ST uses the extended MQB chassis which changes the exhaust set up.

Looks like you'll need a back box delete instead, it might actually sound better with less drone than a resonator delete.

The guy at PP said that Seat seem to randomly choose between older exhaust systems (which can be modified) and the latest ones.

I've read that some late production 280's had the 290 exhaust so it doesn't seem an isolated occurrence.

silky16v

#VagDoctor
Jan 26, 2017
The GPF is straight off the turbo those are inline cats with an EGT sensor afterwards, exactly the same as my UP GTi

you can remove the cats and just refit the EGT and all should be fine but making up a replacement pipe is gonna be a pig

Just have to wait for the road side checks on soot levels on these GPF fitted cars :(

so so glad i didn't go for the new Cupra ST and bought the Carbon Edition instead

Reactions: Mystery290

Deleted member 103408

Whilst these cars are not MOT liable yet I guess you will also need to refit the Cats when they go in for MOT

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Double cats must be the only way they can lower the emissions enough for the ST and S3 to pass with 300ps and not 290ps as with the 5 door Cupra.
I think the 300 on the Golf R and Cupra ST 4Drive is more to do with the engine efficiency and burn temperature. Its always been my understanding that Turbo engines run more efficiently under greater load (Not to be confused with MPG just the bang for buck on the fuel burnt).

So chances are the 4wd system helps with the emissions, if not fuel economy, as its producing a hotter cleaner burn.

Need to see underneath a 5 door to see its setup. Surely someone with a new cupra 290 can get a photo from underneath the car by using a kerb.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The GPF is straight off the turbo those are inline cats with an EGT sensor afterwards, exactly the same as my UP GTi

you can remove the cats and just refit the EGT and all should be fine but making up a replacement pipe is gonna be a pig

Just have to wait for the road side checks on soot levels on these GPF fitted cars :(

so so glad i didn't go for the new Cupra ST and bought the Carbon Edition instead
So are you planning a res delete?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members