Tyre pressure

caz95

Jan 6, 2019
Sorry if this has been asked before! I was on the m62 today and got the loss of pressure warning for the rear left tyre. This is the first time I've had the warning, had my Leon since November. Checked it when I got to where I was working and was fine from what I could see. Checked it after got home and couldn't see any signs of a puncture. For anyone with the 2.0 184 FR what are the right tyre pressures? The ones in my cap are different to those I'm finding online. Just so I can do them all and calibrate. I carry tools (nothing seriously heavy) in my boot so that weight could possibly be another passenger?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
The recommended pressures will vary, depending on the wheel size - but the ones on your cap will be the right ones for your car, unless the wheel diameter has been changed since it left the factory.

Have you not checked them all since you've had it? Even if your gauge is inaccuracy you should be able to tell if one tyre is now lower on one side. Alloys always lose pressure over time, so topping them up is a constant every couple of weeks.

At motorway speeds the tyre pressure sensors will be at most sensitive. I've had a warning with just a small difference, measured when cold.

caz95

Jan 6, 2019
Yeah I checked them all when I first got it, the rear tyres were 35 and the front were 32. The ones in my cap recommend 33 front, 31 rear. Just hopefully I haven't got a slow puncture or a nail stuck in there somewhere, I work on building sites but never park my car on site always leave it somewhere clean. Got bad OCD for having mud down the sides lol

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
So... keep in mind firstly tyre pressures can drop 2 or so psi depending on outside temperature. But this reminds me of when the frickin warning light kept coming on for my FR+. So if the psi drops >4psi the light comes on. But also if the tyre gets warm during use and it goes 4psi above, the light will also come on. I found that eg my fronts should have been 32. But they were actually 36 because I'd just done 100 miles down the motorway. Personally, I'd go out first thing in the morning and check / set all the tyre pressures. Reset the tpms and go from there.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
So... keep in mind firstly tyre pressures can drop 2 or so psi depending on outside temperature. But this reminds me of when the frickin warning light kept coming on for my FR+. So if the psi drops >4psi the light comes on. But also if the tyre gets warm during use and it goes 4psi above, the light will also come on. I found that eg my fronts should have been 32. But they were actually 36 because I'd just done 100 miles down the motorway. Personally, I'd go out first thing in the morning and check / set all the tyre pressures. Reset the tpms and go from there.

Don't see how temp change will trip it, as the tyres will all change pressure, and the warning trips when there is a difference between tyres on the same axle. Had 3 warnings with my Cupra in the time I've had it, and all were real punctures (but one was very difficult to spot)

Reactions: LouG and kazand

EFF11

Jun 16, 2016
The TPMS is not aware of actual tyre pressures. It compares the rotational speed of the wheels on each axle using the speed sensors of the ABS braking system. If you get a persistent fault signal for the same wheel after resetting the system, then the speed sensor on that wheel may be faulty.

caz95

Jan 6, 2019
Brother has a gtd and recommended 32 all round. Pumped them all up and calibrated the tpms, warning light gone now. The warning was saying it was the rear left, but it was the two right ones that were actually the lowest think they were 25 psi.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
You'll likely have something stuck in the tyre like a nail. Twice I've had the warning flag up, checked them and been OK then within days had a sudden flat tyre whilst driving.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If you haven't checked te tyres since November then normal pressure loss could trip the sensor. Check and reset more often.

The specified pressures are best seen as a starting point. Adjust the pressures up and down a few PSI from there to suit your taste, driving style and depending on the tyre wear pattern you see.

caz95

Jan 6, 2019
Bumping my old thread here just as an update to anyone with a similar problem, I had every tyre checked at a garage in January and they couldn't find a puncture. For some reason and only ever on the m62 heading into Manchester when traffic slows down and then picks up again, the tyre pressure warning goes off but on some mornings when I've beat the traffic and don't have to slow down it doesn't go off. Weird

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Weird indeed. Maybe some unusual curvature on the road or something?

heliophile

May 1, 2016
Manchester
Could be the TPMS was calibrated at higher than normal pressures. Set all the pressures to spec, recalibrate and only worry if it trips again. I’ve never had a false positive from mine.

Reactions: Seastormer