Michelin Pilot Sport 4S vs Continental Sport Contact 6

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S vs Continental Sport Contact 6 235/35 ZR19.

My Cupra R have Conti 5P from delivery. I use to go on track days now and then and have heard that Conti 5P have weak sidewalls. Also they get rather bad reviews on this forum ;).

I had Michelin PS4S on my former Golf 7R. They were great the first track days but I believe they suffered from weak sidewalls which cause much wear on shoulders, much more than PSS I had before the 4S. 4S are great in rain! Many of you on this forum likes PS4S, a lot :)!

The camber in front is much more aggressive on the Cupra R compared to Golf R. This will make difference in right direction.

Should I go for PS4S one more time… or should I buy Conti 6? Have friends who use Conti 6 on GTI 7 CS for track days, definitely less wear on shoulders than I have experienced.

PS Summer 2018 was very hot on every track day. In general it makes bad impact on tyre wear, I have that in mind.

One of the Golf tires….
4sm.jpg

Last edited:

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S vs Continental Sport Contact 6 235/35 ZR19.

My Cupra R have Conti 5P from delivery. I use to go on track days now and then and have heard that Conti 5P have weak sidewalls. Also they get rather bad reviews on this forum ;).

I had Michelin PS4S on my former Golf 7R. They were great the first track days but I believe they suffered from weak sidewalls which cause much wear on shoulders, much more than PSS I had before the 4S. 4S are great in rain! Many of you on this forum likes PS4S, a lot :)!

The camber in front is much more aggressive on the Cupra R compared to Golf R. This will make difference in right direction.

Should I go for PS4S one more time… or should I buy Conti 6? Have friends who use Conti 6 on GTI 7 CS for track days, definitely less wear on shoulders than I have experienced.

PS Summer 2018 was very hot on every track day. In general it makes bad impact on tyre wear, I have that in mind.

One of the Golf tires….
View attachment 3919

As you may know CSC6 are standard fit on the Honda Civic type R.
Owners who have reported good grip and performance have also said they have a short life.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
As you may know CSC6 are standard fit on the Honda Civic type R.
Owners who have reported good grip and performance have also said they have a short life.

I didn't know about Honda. Short life is okay for me, the grip have priority. Of cause there are other alternatives, but the mentioned ones are most familiar to me. Thanks for response. No hurry but on the other hand I can as well order them so everything is ready when the winter wheels come off :).

/Peter

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
I think you have to try both, to see which you prefer and which wear's better. For me the photo shows a weak side wall carcass, unless your turning in to early and scrubbing speed off with the front end, of which I'm sure you know is so very easy done..

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
...….unless your turning in to early and scrubbing speed off with the front end, of which I'm sure you know is so very easy done..

Sometimes I do, if more tyre weare mistakes increase!

Goodyear are bringing out a new range of performance / track day tyres which may suit you needs.
See here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/The-new-Goodyear-Eagle-F1-SuperSport-Range.htm

Interesting.

If wear and cold performance isn't an issue, try Sport Cup 2's.
PS. Have you tried higher pressures in the 4S's

During track visits I have had mostly 2.8 bar (40psi) in cold pressure, both front and rear.
Cup 2 could be an alternative however bad in rain. Cold performance…the cupra is used daily.

/Peter

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Sometimes I do, if more tyre weare mistakes increase!

Interesting.

During track visits I have had mostly 2.8 bar (40psi) in cold pressure, both front and rear.
Cup 2 could be an alternative however bad in rain. Cold performance…the cupra is used daily.

/Peter
If your can get a laser temp sensor you could set your track pressures according to hot temps. You may be able to run higher pressures and reduce sidewall flex.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Feedback.

Today I have ordered a set of Michelin PS4S.

Cup 2 is not an alternative since they have "bad behavior" in cold / wet weather as we have in SE in spring, sometimes also in summer. Tread seems to be less mm depth compared to PS4S.

/Peter

Reactions: Jordan Neill