Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Jan 9, 2019
No
Only once to /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS
I have done what it's said here, but the NAV show me no maps (and so no path to destination).
May I have forgot something ?
If I go to "system info" the version is the new 115 upgraded (and seems correct so)

Tell

Staff member
I have done what it's said here, but the NAV show me no maps (and so no path to destination).
May I have forgot something ?
If I go to "system info" the version is the new 115 upgraded (and seems correct so)

Tried rebooting it. Long press on the off button till the speakers bang.

Europe map, not somewhere else. Out of ideas at the minute. Clearly if a country isn't loaded for where you are you won't see anything.

I'd restore and repeat the process failing a reboot. People copied the whole of the directory that contained the overall file before rather than just the file onto the update.

Never heard of a blank screen before on the workaround. It has worked successfully. The other may be a corrupt file. 7zip for unpacking, anything else can introduce errors.

Jan 9, 2019
I have reloaded all the map and the rewritten the same file.
And it works.... without reboot (strange, nothing different from first operation).
Tx again for info

Reactions: Tell and kiddo

Tell

Staff member
@Tell, I’m getting stupid error messages when using POInspect0r at the moment. It doesn’t stop anything from being created but it’s annoying as it’s just recently started to happen.

I replied in a longer post early but now updated to 6.k that one includes the fix for the Google Maps issue and also supports the 2019 infotainment units... 6.7 didn't support the 2019 standard unit least the one in an Arona. Churping away nicely.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I replied in a longer post early but now updated to 6.k that one includes the fix for the Google Maps issue and also supports the 2019 infotainment units... 6.7 didn't support the 2019 standard unit least the one in an Arona. Churping away nicely.

Nice one. I’ll look into updating mine and try it out. If only the distance issue warnings could be sorted then I’d be a fully happy man.

Cheers Tell

Tell

Staff member
Nice one. I’ll look into updating mine and try it out. If only the distance issue warnings could be sorted then I’d be a fully happy man.

Cheers Tell

On the updates, I take a copy of the "old" Exe file and put the release as an extension. If you open up the update zip you can see which ones he's updated. Then I just copy over those overwriting the previous Exe file. Normally just the exe file but additional languages this time. You can always go back if you do it this way.

6.k seemed to run smoothly, the output toggle bit he's slightly changed. Think the feet to the warble he's got a check box that is an alternative to toggling on. Kept my settings as is on the cameras, I use my favourites as the coordinate import (now 247 destinations).

The infotainment unit itself works out when to warble in the standard version like the plus. We've got to take it on a long run now it warbles. I was hoping that on the 200 miles home I'd get the cameras installed but that's when I found the summer release of the program didn't work with the 2019 standard unit with the two button and everything touch on the screen. I had written it to a USB, the Plus is fine that way. Concluded 6.7 didn't support the newest unit. All fine with 6.k.

I noted after the workaround map update I had to establish the Poi categories again in the set of ten allowed. It had deleted them all. I assume that's standard ?. The Plus doesn't wipe them out after a map update. Does it delete all the speed cameras after a map update ?. Suspect not, just resets the categories ?. Can live with that. Destinations survived which I had in the unit.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I noted after the workaround map update I had to establish the Poi categories again in the set of ten allowed. It had deleted them all. I assume that's standard ?. The Plus doesn't wipe them out after a map update. Does it delete all the speed cameras after a map update ?. Suspect not, just resets the categories ?. Can live with that. Destinations survived which I had in the unit.

Mine has always done this when I import new speed cameras. As you overwrite the old ones, the unit needs you to reselect them each time you update.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Mine has always done this when I import new speed cameras. As you overwrite the old ones, the unit needs you to reselect them each time you update.

Ah that must be the difference between the Plus and the Standard that the import clears out the categories whilst the Plus keeps them, not the map update why they vanished.

I'd put up my other favourites in lieu of putting up the speed cameras then they vanished after the map upgrade and the poi import. Thought it was the former. I'll edit that bit on the instructions on the thread.

Thanks.

Reactions: Maypack

Raglits

Jan 1, 2019
OK, I've been reading through this thread, getting confused, gaining clarity, getting confused again etc

I bought a 67 plate Xcelence Tech TDI last month and want to update the inbuilt Sat Nav to newer maps as it's on 820 (I'll worry about firmware etc another time). If I'm honest, I don't see me using the inbuilt one that often, as Android Auto and google maps seems to work pretty well, but it irks me that it's not up to date (well, as up to date as possible, I'm sure I'll be driving across "fields" that were built on a couple of years ago even when as up to date as possible) when SEAT should be providing this for free/minimal cost like the rest of the VAG marques seem to (as well as a lot of other manufacturers)

My device is as follows
Device Part Number: 5QA035858B
Hardware: H41
Software: 0462
Navigation Database: 6P0919866R
ECE1 2017/18

I looked at the SEAT options on the download page but the split of countries is completely whacko, I can't update Western Europe in one go, I have to miss out Spain if I want to update Germany etc etc and I'm assuming that you can't download multiple bundles that contain all the countries that you'd like and combine them somehow which would make the most sense to me to get the maximum number of updates that'll fit on the 16GB card that came with the car.

On the basis that I'd like to update the countries that came with the car, if I download the following file (minus spaces) and use the copy method will this work? This is the European Countries Bundle 1 from the VW Map and Software page for the Discover Media system

htt p://vw-maps cdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1115_V10.7z

This contains
Albania*, Andorra, Austria, Belarus*, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina*, Bulgaria*, Croatia, Cyprus*, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia*, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Island, Italy, Kosovo*, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Macedonia (Former Republic of Yugoslavia)*, Moldova*, Monaco, Montenegro*, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania*, San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia*, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Ukraine*, United Kingdom, Vatican City

* in parts

Last time I updated maps in a VAG car was the Columbus in my 59 plate Octavia vRS, it took a while copying from DVD to the hard drive but at least the process was fairly simple once I'd worked out that cheap DVDs didn't work :)

Tell

Staff member
The link I gave in post 1418 which is the one you are quoting which is fine. Has a funny year number on it which people on other boards have picked up on but this is the release that VW re-issued after making a hash of splitting the countries up. You then do the overall.nds file copy routine as discussed and there should be no problems. Use 7 zip if you can. Take a copy of the card before hand just in case and you'll need the overall.nds file from that in any case. Although as said with Mib2 isn't the end of the world if you mess it up since you can download the set that came with the card. The SD card will need un clipping to write.

The infotainment system is designed to use the built in maps and yes it's annoying where you find yourself driving in fields. Google isn't perfect they don't accurately place destinations. I either dial destinations in or import coordinates so I know I'll get to the right place. Google is good as the navigator since you cross check where you are, look for congestion and compare with TMC route.

Raglits

Jan 1, 2019
The link I gave in post 1418 which is the one you are quoting which is fine. Has a funny year number on it which people on other boards have picked up on but this is the release that VW re-issued after making a hash of splitting the countries up. You then do the overall.nds file copy routine as discussed and there should be no problems. Use 7 zip if you can. Take a copy of the card before hand just in case and you'll need the overall.nds file from that in any case. Although as said with Mib2 isn't the end of the world if you mess it up since you can download the set that came with the card. The SD card will need un clipping to write.

The infotainment system is designed to use the built in maps and yes it's annoying where you find yourself driving in fields. Google isn't perfect they don't accurately place destinations. I either dial destinations in or import coordinates so I know I'll get to the right place. Google is good as the navigator since you cross check where you are, look for congestion and compare with TMC route.

Cheers, I must have managed to miss that post somehow after reading 70 odd pages :)

Downloading now

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
So I've managed to install UK and EU speed camera POI's and appear to have the warble when testing with demo mode so all appears to be working. The only slight niggle I have is the icons dont display correctly. I've sized to 39 x 39 and saved as png format. I've tried editing to 34 x 39 but cant seem to get this size using MS Office 2010. Has anyone experienced same issue with MIB2 Std unit?

Tell

Staff member
So I've managed to install UK and EU speed camera POI's and appear to have the warble when testing with demo mode so all appears to be working. The only slight niggle I have is the icons dont display correctly. I've sized to 39 x 39 and saved as png format. I've tried editing to 34 x 39 but cant seem to get this size using MS Office 2010. Has anyone experienced same issue with MIB2 Std unit?

I used Paint post 1

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....f-woe-vw-pulled-the-update-site-again.444799/

Then Radas programmed it for 39x39 which is the MIB standard. I located where the VW discontinued output went and copied them out. They became my POI icons. It's on the thread but my original ones came from GPS World converted by the VW import into the 39x39.

I'd look at Paint for editing down your source. Have you set the 39x39 flag?. Preference, options. That's the only thing I have checked on that screen. Without that they may get contorted.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I have 39 x 39 option selected in preferences. I can see the icons displayed when selecting the POI's to display. I'll give editing original bmp's with paint rather than MS office picture editor and convert to png @ 39 x 39

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
resizing icons with paint increases the bit depth slightly from 24 to 32 bit and now I have mobile icon showing for mobile poi's. Still no joy with fixed cameras. Bit depth and attributes are the same for fixed and mobile icons so i have no idea why only one icon displays. Slowly getting there ;)

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Its all got a bit weird... I was just about to pull out the sd card to create new poi groups using mobile camera icon for all, i had a play around with the displaying various poi groups trying both fixed camera poi groups only (uk and eu) and as if by magic the fixed camera icons were displayed. Checked in only uk fixed and mobile poi groups and bobs your uncle all icons are on the screen. Dont you love tech ;)

Tested warbles for both fixed and mobile cameras using demo mode and both warble. No plans to go to eu anytime soon so can leave well alone but am hoping to get to Nürburgring later this year so no doubt it will break then. For now i aint touching the camera poi groups for love nor money :stars::sleepy:

Tell

Staff member
That does ring a bell now when Radas altered the program so it supported 39x39. I did say it wasn't working mine continued not showing them correctly then it started working by itself. Think the unit needs rebooting or powers down itself after the 20 minutes then will re-read the area of memory where the icons are stored else they don't change. Hence why it started working by itself. Forgot. Age... chemical ram memory doesn't work as it use to.

Once set up as you say you just re populate the POI data you don't re-read in the icons and all the data unlike the old VW website so it makes use easier to change. Each set of POI data can be updated when required. Tend to do My Favourites group which I turn into destinations more frequent to the speed cameras. My five groups as per the link.

Lancashire Lad

Mar 6, 2011
Penwortham
www.seatcupra.net
I've read through the guides and it just makes no sense to me for mib1. I'll just risk not knowing where the cameras are. If it was possible for me to just download stick on a pendrive and upload without all the other stuff, I think I could manage it. As it stands, there more chance of me changing a cam belt with tools from a Christmas cracker..

Reactions: Walone

Tell

Staff member
The program works the same for Mib1 as Mib2. Basically VW pulled the plug on POI support on the predecessor to Mib range, RNS510 as they did on Mib range. The latter due to them now supporting connected infotainment via 4g which would be fine but the connected route doesn't populate the warbler field. The former RNS510 no longer supported. German law abiding folk don't see the need for speed warnings although with traffic recognition installed it will warbler if you exceed the digitalised map speed or the dynamically read speed signs.

So VAG systems if installed in the car and sold in the UK (Seat UK doesn't now sell with TSR on) will warn if speeding. I note the Arona standard infotainment hasnt got a warning toggle against speeding on the digitised map route speed let alone TSR. Another project for me I reckon. Think it's a supressed menu that needs unlocking with VCDS coding. Reckon you need to put the unit in developer mode for that... got to check with my High unit and some Googling to see whether that can be enabled.

Anyhow pulling the plug on the VW POI Import site meant that everybody with VAG cars who used that site which was in German couldn't read in their POIs. In some countries OZ for one VW dont support connected software which meant never mind getting the warble you couldn't even read in POIs. Well healed Europeans buy commercial POIs including speed cameras with warbles :).... still leaves you stuck if you want to import your own. The Skoda site never worked correctly, they used the VW site in German as everybody else.

Because of all of this Radas the programmer for POI inspector gained a new level of interest in his project. You do need some computer skills to set it up but then you need some of those if you are into navigation systems. For the old VW system people had the crib sheet they would share on the net... oh, I'll will give you this... this ones a bit more tricky but do able. I havent seen "I'll give you this" people with this one claiming kudos ;).

Since it was more technical I documented the program on the Ateca side of the board:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....f-woe-vw-pulled-the-update-site-again.444799/

Realise the thread has been temporary hijacked by importing POI discussion but related.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members