Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
So to update the poi groups is it a case of importing new camera gpx files to poi groups and then importing poi groups as I didn't first time on my mib2 hu?

I drove with map displayed this am and got a warble. The camera was a fair distance away and on on another road but I'd rather have a warble than not.

Can the warble distance be changed or is it hu controlled / calculated?

Reactions: Tell

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I've read through the guides and it just makes no sense to me for mib1. I'll just risk not knowing where the cameras are. If it was possible for me to just download stick on a pendrive and upload without all the other stuff, I think I could manage it. As it stands, there more chance of me changing a cam belt with tools from a Christmas cracker..
I thought the same lancs lad, sounded convoluted and complicated but now I've done it, it's easy enough (easy when u know how ;))

The only bit I struggled was exporting to sd card. The first export option didn't work in my hu so reformatted sd card and exported using othe mib export option and it worked. It took a while for my icons to display but all seems happy enough now.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
So to update the poi groups is it a case of importing new camera gpx files to poi groups and then importing poi groups as I didn't first time on my mib2 hu?

I drove with map displayed this am and got a warble. The camera was a fair distance away and on on another road but I'd rather have a warble than not.

Can the warble distance be changed or is it hu controlled / calculated?

The Mib units do their own calculation based on speed. Was RNS510 that you could set yourself. The Mib2 High ones come out about right. We got to take the one out with the standard unit to see. I know some conversation on whether the standard unit gets them at the right time and whether they always sound. That will also be firmware related between standard unit I guess. On the dummy run up the road it warbled at about the same time as my one does.

Yes to the first question. You don't delete the category, you delete the data in the category then add data.

Glad it's working for you.

Reactions: kiddo

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
On the MK3 Seat Leon owners Group Facebook page there is a section with 'Files' and one of those is 'Add Speed cameras to MIB2, I downloaded the files and followed the instructions and it all went very smoothly.

Tell

Staff member
You do see prepared shareware speed camera files on the net. If they don't say the source you don't know whether they are knocked off ones or from a free source with a quality question. Developers that charge out for GIS data put items in them that dont exist but they find them if the data has been ripped off. Suspect GPS World do this so guys that second source their speed cameras might get a surprise.

If you want to import your own POIs whether national trust sites or your own favourites you still need a POI Import program. Importing your own destinations in as POIs then saving as destinations makes the cars sat nav screen look like a normal standalone system where you see the destinations on the screen. Also easier that way to get a naming convention and get prepared before a journey. I use the Android App Map Coordinates N45, E25 Pro that shows you Google Maps and Openstreet. The latter is more useful for outdoor activities where Google Maps is weaker. It also provides Google Streetview so you can walk a street. If there are question about say a multi story car park entrance or where a foot path starts etc you can see it. You can make favourites. The app shows you the coordinates in about five different types. Supports degrees minutes and seconds (DMS) as well as the traditional decimal degrees. The former are the ones VAG navigation uses on the On Screen menu. That's where I get my dial in ones from or the decimal degrees ones to import into POI Inspector to build up my own destination points of days out etc.

Tell

Staff member
It will do and warble near cameras not on the route. It's not a bad thing to have.

The maps are different between the standard and high. The route finding is different. The standard unit road speeds held by road are more problematic. All a bit weird like mixed GIS databases used on each unit when they put the components together. Without using both systems you wouldn't be any the wiser.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Agreed its not a bad thing to have. So far so good and no false alarms heard while pootling around my local area. Got a round trip to London from Lancashire tomorrow so will see how it behaves :) I'll have to remember to update the speed camera poi groups from time to time.

Tell

Staff member
Mind you, you won't see them on the map either. I edited that in the documentation on the Ateca thread. One of the differences between the standard and high. Discovered the other difference today on the standard when set to gps time it jumped an hour. I had read moans on other boards and wondered why at delivery it was set to manual rather than GPS time keeping (assumed this was why and sure enough the trip to the dentist gained an hour when it came out of the garage). There is suppose to a fault on recent units. Solution I took automatic summer time off, went back an hour.... we'll see. Reckon synchronized time keeping with GPS is better than it drifting. Suspect they have a programming bug.

Theporter

Nov 4, 2018
When did google car play start announcing speed cameras I was running google maps over CarPlay last night and got the announcements?

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
When did google car play start announcing speed cameras I was running google maps over CarPlay last night and got the announcements?
I saw an article on my phone this morning mentioning that Google Maps are introducing this in some areas to some users but it only mentioned in the US.

Tell

Staff member
Still I can't get 4G here :).

The other thing that crossed my mind was whether you we getting the Seat system bongs over the Google Maps app if you had loaded the cameras up, there are weird things that can get mixed up via Bluetooth or perhaps not.

Theporter

Nov 4, 2018
I saw an article on my phone this morning mentioning that Google Maps are introducing this in some areas to some users but it only mentioned in the US.

Google is rolling out speed limits and speed trap alerts in Google Maps, according to a Mashable report.

The speed limit feature displays the posted speed limit of the road you're currently driving on at the bottom left of the screen. Speed traps are marked with a little camera icon when looking at the map and drivers are provided an audio cue when approaching one.

Numerous users have reported seeing these new features and the company has now confirmed they're rolling out.

We confirmed Google Maps is starting to roll out the ability to see speed cameras and speed limits on the mobile app. Speed cameras will post for users in the UK, U.S., Australia, Russia, Brazil, Mexico, Canada, India, and Indonesia, while speed limits will post throughout the U.S., UK, and Denmark.

Theporter

Nov 4, 2018
Think it's only Waz via Waz users reporting them. You toggle between Google Maps and Waz on Android Auto so perhaps you toggled that way ?.
Nope defo google maps on iOS over CarPlay I don’t have waze and it was in Liverpool last night

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Nope defo google maps on iOS over CarPlay I don’t have waze and it was in Liverpool last night

Interesting, no sign of it on the Android app. Might explain why Here Maps extended their data gathering to cameras last year.

Still I'm not convinced till I'm in a strong 4G area my Plus unit with the retrofit treatment works with Android Auto... did before, just happy to have update-able maps now since roads systems do change. Depends where you live thou. Reckon more road investment outside England.

Prefer built in maps than add-ons. You are not going to get such good lane positioning information with Google than the built in system. It wont jump around in town or loose where it is in tunnels. Those dreaded turn offs in the middle of tunnels or as you leave. In the UK less tunnelled roads than on the continent. Going round Luxembourg many times when non built in system don't tell you in time. Wheel revolutions fed into the built in sat nav. That's why when you do a long hold reboot to the cars infotainment system it looses exactly where it is and which way it's pointing.

Google destination points aren't accurate although realtime traffic information is useful. Use both and contribute to all of them :).

Reactions: Theporter
Feb 7, 2019
Just a recap on the update process for the Maps from my side since i first experienced some failed attempts.

From a prior post on this thread:
0. Take a complete back up of the existing map card to the hard disk
1. Reformat the SD card that had xxxx on it
2. Copy the freshly dowloaded yyyy version to the SD card (with 7zip preferably to unpack) same file structure needs to be kept, not one down etc.
3. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with old one from your HD backup

Possibly additionally:
In my case the original MAPS version had the folder /maps/22/... on the SD card, where the newer MAPS had the folder /maps/00/... In order to make the new MAPS work, just rename the folder from "00" to "22" (or whatever number your original MAPS carried). Apparently the headunit and the linked uniquely coded files refer to map locations as well.

I updated MAPS to version 1115 successfully from 0521 on a retrofitted MIB2 unit (upgraded from 5F0035858A to 5QA035858A since I wanted CarPlay available).

Other option to update is btw to use DiscoverCare from VW (after changing the folder name to "00", otherwise the software tries to add a new folder instead of replacing the existing one). Please be aware to always make a backup first of your SC card!!!

Tell

Staff member
Just a recap on the update process for the Maps from my side since i first experienced some failed attempts.

From a prior post on this thread:
0. Take a complete back up of the existing map card to the hard disk
1. Reformat the SD card that had xxxx on it
2. Copy the freshly dowloaded yyyy version to the SD card (with 7zip preferably to unpack) same file structure needs to be kept, not one down etc.
3. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with old one from your HD backup

Possibly additionally:
In my case the original MAPS version had the folder /maps/22/... on the SD card, where the newer MAPS had the folder /maps/00/... In order to make the new MAPS work, just rename the folder from "00" to "22" (or whatever number your original MAPS carried). Apparently the headunit and the linked uniquely coded files refer to map locations as well.

I updated MAPS to version 1115 successfully from 0521 on a retrofitted MIB2 unit (upgraded from 5F0035858A to 5QA035858A since I wanted CarPlay available).

Other option to update is btw to use DiscoverCare from VW (after changing the folder name to "00", otherwise the software tries to add a new folder instead of replacing the existing one). Please be aware to always make a backup first of your SC card!!!

You can if you haven't backed up use the down load version that correspondent to the original. I've helped two people do that twice on here who havent backed up. The overall.nds file is specific to the release that is installed in the unit, it remains unchanged. It's the hidden folder that is locked to the unit and you can't delete that in any case. You do 3. thou, but that why you can get back to were you started, without the backup, assuming you can find online the original release.

The DiscoverCare package is generally released after the main release. I don't bother with that. It hasn't had great success in the VW world. The Seat release is always late and as has been said this time round VW re-released it again to give the whole of Europe, Seat haven't caught up with this yet.

Never come across the directory renaming... thats not been a reported issue. May be the original was so old it needed that ?. Suspect so.

Reactions: djsky
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.