No start, 4 months of issues...help?

Jan 12, 2019
So before 4 months ago my Seat Ibiza was working a dream. Never had any trouble with it. Started first time. Serviced on time and no issues revealed.

October was the first problem. It was a really windy day and I was up a hill parked and exposed. I left her for a few hours. Came back, started fine. Stopped at a Tesco. Took keys out. THING KEPT RUNNING. I had to stall to stop Needless to say it was a spooky experience. Roadside recovery came... problem didn't happen for him and he didn't run any diagnostics or anything.

Car MOT in November - some minors about oil discharge,but no issues found.

Late November - car doesn't start. Battery dead. Battery replaced.

December - heater system stops blowing hot air out. Heating coil (I think?) Replaced.

January - today. Another fails to start. Light not on. I can't see any drainage other than possible from my cigarette lighter charge which I plugged into my car before starting the engine. Radio automatically starts when I turn the key over before an engine start too.

Any thoughts on this? Usual "common issue" for a SEAT Ibiza 1.4 TDI 2009 - ECU update issue?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Has it got a dpf? Did you check the oil level often? Wondering if the oil was too high hence the engine carried on running. Maybe get it scanned for codes. Wonder if a fault in the ignition barrel would stop it turning off.

As for the battery issues. Maybe get a cheap multimeter. Check battery voltage with engine off (should be 12.4v+). With engine on (around 14v). There are also loads of vids on YouTube how to check parasitic drain using a multimeter.

Reactions: seivan7
Jan 12, 2019
Has it got a dpf? Did you check the oil level often? Wondering if the oil was too high hence the engine carried on running. Maybe get it scanned for codes. Wonder if a fault in the ignition barrel would stop it turning off.

As for the battery issues. Maybe get a cheap multimeter. Check battery voltage with engine off (should be 12.4v+). With engine on (around 14v). There are also loads of vids on YouTube how to check parasitic drain using a multimeter.

Ah - I'll look at getting a multi-meter.

No issues shown on dashboard for DPF but this is probably because it regularly clears as I'm on the M4 doing 60mph+ every weekday more or less.

Thanks for the tips!