Safety recall

ItsLeigh

May 20, 2018
I received a letter yesterday about recall involving the left passenger seat unbuckling when the middle meat is in use.

This is a problem they had identified and were in the process of recalling and apply a simple fix to cars long before I even ordered my car at the end of May last year. I know this because I read about on here somewhere -apologies if I’m positing in the wrong place..

Just makes you wonder why on earth would they build vehicles knowing there’s an issue without including the fix from the offset.

Anyone else had this letter recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupidus

Mar 12, 2018
I also received the letter a bit before christmas. Havnt gotten around to it yet, since service is due soon

As to why, someone probably did a spreadsheet, showing one thing was cheaper than the other ;)

Deleted member 103408

I seem to recall they stopped delivery of the cars for a while whilst they installed the quick fix.

But they then working out the quick fix was not good enough so another fix was needed.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that VW Group thought that they could wing it with this one, then just too many Polo owners, and maybe even some SEAT owners brought it to the attention of trading standards and worse - and that has forced at least VW to give in and issue a time line for retro fitting a bracket, this started, with at least Polo in mid November 2018.

Now just how stupid a car manufacturer needed to be to think that this would all go away and that having an identified potential passenger safety issue designed into a new model would not cause them problems - really beats me, these cars were being described and sold as 5 seater cars, but in essence only 4 seats had suitable safety belts, shocking - shame on you VW Group only pressure by official UK government departments and trading standards forced them to actually carry out recorded rework.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Only a scandinavian magazine road test revealed the problem - much like the A-class rollover issue. Why don't the British media spot these things? Are they paid too much by the manufacturers?

Reactions: RUM4MO

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
Only a scandinavian magazine road test revealed the problem - much like the A-class rollover issue. Why don't the British media spot these things? Are they paid too much by the manufacturers?

Yeah but lets be honest it was overly tested in an extreme manouver that no one is ever likely to do, and would probably be very dangerous in in itself anyway.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yeah but lets be honest it was overly tested in an extreme manouver that no one is ever likely to do, and would probably be very dangerous in in itself anyway.

Well in both cases mentioned, the fact is/was it could happen in normal usage, so must be deemed relevant - remember many years ago, in the pre-VW Group days, SEAT built cars without a secondary door locking mechanism - and no one else was still doing that, so that needed changing even if that feature only came into play if the door was not fully closed.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members