R.I.P Toledo?

Toledo TSI

Sep 20, 2017
I've not been on this site for a while and didn't realise the Toledo is no more. I am glad a bagged my bargain at £11,995 last year and not surprisingly it is far superior to my old 2008 Fabia estate 1.4 Tdi.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Still over 200 pre-reg zero miles advertised from £11500 up to about £13000.
An absolute bargain if you need a sensible 4 seat family car - considering the cheapest new SEAT RRP right now is £11990 for a Mii.
Will they get cheaper as dealers try to offload them?

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Someone at work is looking for a new cheap/cheap to run small family car - with a large boot.
Only snag is it has to be an auto/DSG because of his wife's restricted driving licence

Jan 16, 2019
I'm new to the forum, and am considering a used Toledo 1.2 TSI (2014-2016) as there are savings to be had comparing equivilent trim levels for a used Leon or VW Golf.

I haven't been able to test drive one yet to see just how "bad" the ride is, that and I've also heard that the Sat Nav maps can't be updated if it's a UK car (not sure if that's true). The ride quality is certainly a concern since it seems to pop up in discussions.

The top trims actually look nice in the photos, definitely a step up from my 20 year old golf.

Reactions: camelspyyder

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
The ride on 2012-13 cars was poor especially on 17s, and more so on 17 OEM Dunlop SPSportMaxx.

I've driven a 2013 and owned 2014 and 2018 models. The ride on post 13 cars is much better although the heavier diesel seems worse with 100 extra kilos on the front.

The 1.2 Tsi comes as an 8 valve chain-cam with 86/105PS or a 16V belt-cam 90/110PS. The engine changeover was mid 2015.

Reactions: geordibbk

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Its a cheap car built from low tech (Golf 4 and Polo) parts bins.
Quality of the build (at Skoda) seemed much improved from 2014 on.
It's reliable roomy transport for 4 (a bit narrow for 5)
The handling is a bit dull on standard suspension, but those who fitted the Skoda approved Eibach springs (-30mm) reported a big improvement.
The 105 is the nicest 4 cylinder I've ever had. quiet, smooth-revving with decent torque and certainly more powerful than its rated 105PS. I personally didn't like the replacement 16V as much, and certainly don't like the newer 1.0 triple that I have now.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Satnav updates can be Official and ££££ at SEAT, unofficial and £ online or DIY - see various threads here or at Briskoda.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Pre 2015 SE Nav was the old top of the range. Had one but the inside was OK but not great.
Limited edition I-tech has nicer inside with Alcantara/fake leather trim.

From mid 2015, Style Advanced has Alcantara, new dash, new nav/sound system and 16V 1.2 engine.

The facelift sound system is a worthwhile improvement.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I'm new to the forum, and am considering a used Toledo 1.2 TSI (2014-2016) as there are savings to be had comparing equivilent trim levels for a used Leon or VW Golf.

I haven't been able to test drive one yet to see just how "bad" the ride is, that and I've also heard that the Sat Nav maps can't be updated if it's a UK car (not sure if that's true). The ride quality is certainly a concern since it seems to pop up in discussions.

The top trims actually look nice in the photos, definitely a step up from my 20 year old golf.

hope some of the above posts help.

Jan 16, 2019
Wow lots of great information thanks, I didn't know that there was chain cam on the lower PSI 1.2 but a belt on the more powerful model.

It's a relief to hear the ride quality had improved even without having to change the springs. Surprised you're not happy with the newer nippy 1 ltr, though I'm presuming it's the same engine as on the 2016+ VW Golf that everyone seems to be saying good things about.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Wow lots of great information thanks, I didn't know that there was chain cam on the lower PSI 1.2 but a belt on the more powerful model.

It's a relief to hear the ride quality had improved even without having to change the springs. Surprised you're not happy with the newer nippy 1 ltr, though I'm presuming it's the same engine as on the 2016+ VW Golf that everyone seems to be saying good things about.

The little 1.0 has a useless torque band. I either accept travelling slowly or have to make hundreds more gearchanges than with a 1.2. DSG auto would make it more agreeable for sure.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Both older engines 86 and 105 are chain. 105 has 6 gears. 86 just 5.

I would like the 1.4 to be honest. 122 or 125 PS, but only with DSG in the UK. Hard to find one though.

Jan 16, 2019
Thanks again for the info, I'm going to try test drive a 1ltr golf to see how I feel about it but cost wise it's outside my budget unfortunately, it's said to be smooth for 3 cylinder engine which is what piking my interest.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Thanks again for the info, I'm going to try test drive a 1ltr golf to see how I feel about it but cost wise it's outside my budget unfortunately, it's said to be smooth for 3 cylinder engine which is what piking my interest.

The 1.0 drives fine if you stir the gears and use the revs but that really costs at the pumps. Running it in from new with a recommended max 4000 rpm is a nightmare since overtaking just can't be done without revs.

Alan Kyp

Old Farts ****
Feb 15, 2014
Cornwall
I’ve had my 1 litre Xclusive for 11 months now and am still extremely pleased with it. I live in west cornwall where it’s very hilly and the car never feels under powered and overall fuel consumption around 45mph.
Defo a better engine than the 1.4 16v in my old 15plate Ibiza

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I have both right now. The 85PS 16V is an asthmatic antique true, but the new 1.0 turbo is such a retrograde step from its 1.2 predecessors. Why did they build it? To achieve VW some more dodgy official mpg and emissions numbers is my guess. I find the 1.2 TSI is so much more drivable and easier to get decent mpg from. The factory figures for the 1.0 are laughable when compared with reality.

Smileyman

Aug 9, 2017
I'm happy with the 1.0 Toledo too ... have now switched to 15" wheels and Cross Climate tyres, ride is much more comfortable. (have the 17" in the shed, 4mm tread left so will need to switch back in the spring) Performance wise I'm no slouch but rarely have trouble getting up to speed and rarely if ever go to 4,000 revs or so - don't find the gear changes to be intrusive at all, especially now the gearbox is not so tight. Fuel economy must be just a shade under 50mpg, although over Xmas when I commuted to work a different route (usually very congested) I had the OBC showing very close to 60mpg at times .. going to the airport soon, will get two large suitcases in the boot and hand luggage too ... not achievable in many cars of this class!

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
I have both right now. The 85PS 16V is an asthmatic antique true, but the new 1.0 turbo is such a retrograde step from its 1.2 predecessors. Why did they build it? To achieve VW some more dodgy official mpg and emissions numbers is my guess. I find the 1.2 TSI is so much more drivable and easier to get decent mpg from. The factory figures for the 1.0 are laughable when compared with reality.

Apart from the aspect that smallish 3-cylinder engines are more economical, (less friction for starters) than a similar 4 cylinder, there are also advantages in their more compact physical size, greater torque output and less weight which can help emissions and economy.

More to the point for VAG, it saves them a lot of money/hassle in only having to build 2 basic engines, (1.0 litre and the 1.5 litre 4 cylinder)
in different states of tune across it's four main brands to cover the same range of outputs that it used to need 4 engines for.

I've long thought 3 cylinders is the best way to go for anything under 1300cc - as did Daihatsu over 35 years ago when they were already
building smooth, powerful, economical and reliable 1.0 litre engines, (some with small turbos) and must be laughing at how long it's taken
the others to catch-up. Not so sure they all have even now, the 3 cylinder VVTi unit in our old 2003 Cuore was certainly a smoother, more impressive unit than the current 1 litre Ford engine and even the newer 1.2 litre 'PureTech' in my Missus' Citroen C3...

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Loved the original late 70's? Charade 3. It sounded like a baby BWW 6. So does VWs current 3, but most others I've tried e.g. Suzuki, or the C1/108 sound really tinny, like old Kawasaki's. I understand if VW did it to save money, but it's shamefully inferior to the 1.2 they threw away. It's not as if they can make enough 1.5s either.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.