Value for money?

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
Just a quick call to the local convenience store and nearby in the car park I spotted an Audi Rs6 Avant,driven by a youngish woman also there to do a bit of shopping.

My new grey Cupra Carbon ST stands me around £30k and her (also grey) Avant will have probably listed around £90k.

A better car than mine, but £60k better?...mainly extra performance that will generally be unusable in the U.K....plus some other advantages of course.

Can't help thinking a lot of money wasted here...but there again when I was younger I had a couple of TVRs that did the same!!!

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Just a quick call to the local convenience store and nearby in the car park I spotted an Audi Rs6 Avant,driven by a youngish woman also there to do a bit of shopping.

My new grey Cupra Carbon ST stands me around £30k and her (also grey) Avant will have probably listed around £90k.

A better car than mine, but £60k better?...mainly extra performance that will generally be unusable in the U.K....plus some other advantages of course.

Can't help thinking a lot of money wasted here...but there again when I was younger I had a couple of TVRs that did the same!!!
You're always going to get less value for money the higher up the performance band.

Someone else maybe parking up their estate next to yours that is 10k cheaper thinking the same as you about your car.

Deleted member 103408

Probably a Lease car, Worked with a lot of kids who leased big cars just because the lived at home and no outgoings so could afford a lot of fun for a 1 / 2 year lease.

Reactions: kanyewest

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne

To start with she's probably spending twice as much on fuel per week too.

Carbonara

Aug 19, 2018
An RS was the only car I've made money on (I've had 3 avants). Lost their exclusivity now I think, apart from the ABT specials so I've got a more mundane 245 PS A6 Avant that sees occasional use. Superb at what it does though. Possibly my last Audi for a while.

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
RS6:
  • Bigger (if you like big cars)
  • Louder
  • Faster
  • More luxurious
  • More comfortable
  • More isolated
  • Audi more respectable brand
  • Legenendary car
  • Supecar performance in family estate clothing

Cupra:
  • Cheaper to buy and own.
  • smaller (if you don't like big cars)

You can't use the cupra performance to max on public roads either without violating laws so the whole "unusable performance" argument people use about cars is a pointless comment.

If anyone asked me which car i would want for free i would choose the RS6 and so would 99% of the people asked probably.
Money is the only reason we all don't own an RS6 so this discussion is quite pointless.

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
You're always going to get less value for money the higher up the performance band.

Someone else maybe parking up their estate next to yours that is 10k cheaper thinking the same as you about your car.

Agreed,there must be people looking at us and thinking:

"What a waste of money,I prefer my Dacia to that."

Reactions: Damo H

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
Is the list price of your carbon Cupra really £30k?

At least compare apples with apples.[/QUOTE

The list price is £35k and I've said before on here I paid £29k.

I'm obviously not in a position to say how much an RS6 Avant costs,it could be discounted or it could be optioned up to £100k,whatever it's still a significant difference.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
If anyone asked me which car i would want for free i would choose the RS6 and so would 99% of the people asked probably.
Money is the only reason we all don't own an RS6 so this discussion is quite pointless.
I disagree, money is not the only reason. RS6 is nice, but I'd never want to be tarred with being 'An Audi Driver'.

Why did all the people who drove like idiots in BMW's in the 90's (and still do to be fair) have to go and start buying Audi's and drive even worse...

https://dai.ly/xq5by3

Kenton

Jun 19, 2018
This is one of those down the pub conversations, where its all about a personal point of view. Mine is a company lease, so driven by a budget requirement. If the budget allowed, then the Audi might be of interest. As it stands, from my personal perspective, nothing else does as much within budget, and the leap to something that does substantially more is, substantially more financially.

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
I disagree, money is not the only reason. RS6 is nice, but I'd never want to be tarred with being 'An Audi Driver'.

Why did all the people who drove like idiots in BMW's in the 90's (and still do to be fair) have to go and start buying Audi's and drive even worse...

https://dai.ly/xq5by3

Will these cliches never die out?

I don't care what the badge says. I would prefer an RS6 over my cupra because it's much more of everything.
Only thing i would miss is the size as the cupra is perfect in size. I have only driven an RS4 not RS6 but maybe the RS6 doesn't feel like a boat from the inside. It does when you need to park it probably.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
But that was my point, OP paid ~20% off that list price but gave the list price for the comparison car.
If we're getting pedantic though, £6k is not 20% of £36k.

£35,575 is the list price for the Carbon in the UK, no optional extras possible. Second hand these are going for 29k, even with 18 miles on the clock.
£79,545 is the list price for the RS6 with no options. Second hand with sub 10k miles these are still over £70k.

So in short is the RS6 worth double the carbon? Same answer, depends what you want. For me no as it has an Audi badge. However if its was a £98k Mercedes E63 S, hell yeah!

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Will these cliches never die out?

I don't care what the badge says. I would prefer an RS6 over my cupra because it's much more of everything.
Only thing i would miss is the size as the cupra is perfect in size. I have only driven an RS4 not RS6 but maybe the RS6 doesn't feel like a boat from the inside. It does when you need to park it probably.
Does not make it any less true, I'd say over 50% of the idiots I've caught on my dash cam has been Audi drivers. Personally I prefer it when people let me pull out of junctions at rush hour because of what I drive.

Not saying there aren't idiots in all cars, but Audi's do tend to be like dogs with their noses up other peoples back sides and sadly my wife was the victim of an Audi driver rear ending her in 2017 as if to prove my point all these years.

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW

im in the 1% i guess! i think audis are nice cars but i dont aspire to own one. they look pretty boring on the outside to me, even the RS versions look a bit too 'tame'. the interiors are really nice ofc but id much rather go for the other option

adding onto what @Damo H is talking about, audis come with these really cool animated indicators and i barely see them being used. i see people who drive like that as being ignorant and the most ignorant drivers i see are in audis and BMWs, so these cliches obviously exist for a reason ;)

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
RS6:
  • Bigger (if you like big cars)
  • Louder
  • Faster
  • More luxurious
  • More comfortable
  • More isolated
  • Audi more respectable brand
  • Legenendary car
  • Supecar performance in family estate clothing

Cupra:
  • Cheaper to buy and own.
  • smaller (if you don't like big cars)

You can't use the cupra performance to max on public roads either without violating laws so the whole "unusable performance" argument people use about cars is a pointless comment.

Couldn't agree more. The RS6 is literally the ultimate car.

Reactions: Redline
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.