Golf GTI TCR - or should I say, a Cupra? :)

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Reviews are good so far. Even read that it's better at handling it's power than the CUPRA (but I believe it was being compared to the 300)

It's official 0-62 is 5.6-7 secs as compared with the CUPRA at 6 secs. Even seen a video of reported 5.5 secs for the TRC.

The GPF has given it a very similar tone to the CUPRA as well.

Styling wise add the sides skirts and the oem front lip and CUPRA is much better to look at.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
My 2014 280 SC DSG has a claimed 5,7 and back then Auto Express tested it in two seperate issues and got 5.5 both times, so it doesn't sound that quick to me.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I watched a Carwow review and although he said it's a good track car he also said if your spending this much then pay the extra and buy an R

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
My 2014 280 SC DSG has a claimed 5,7 and back then Auto Express tested it in two seperate issues and got 5.5 both times, so it doesn't sound that quick to me.

The best official figure I've seen is 5.6 and that's usually for the DSG 3dr (SCs) - although I have seen
Unofficial 5.5's for the Cupra's and the TCR on YouTube.

My original statement was that the MY19 CUPRA fwd has a time of 6 secs, but the similarly spec'd TCR has 5.6.

No matter how much power you throw at the it you're limited by the front wheels (just look at the official figure for the Civic Type R which is more powerful)

Considering that 5.5 ,5.6, 5.7 is quick for a FWD car.

hallsy67

Mar 11, 2010
Bristol
Has anyone actually timed or seen a review of the new 290 doing a 0 to 60 timing? I was surprised to see the figure of 6 sec as I thought it would still be the 5.7 of old.

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
sorry to hijack this thread, but since we already on wheel hopping ... don't get it very often but when I do it's violent

what is it actually? why is hopping? I had other FW cars and the wheel was just spinning, but no hopping, why Seat/VW is affected?

Axle tramp is caused by tyre grip, suspension geometry, available power, and a bunch of other factors too probably!

When accelerating hard weight gets transferred off the front wheels, reducing their grip, which causes them to slip. The tyres slipping reduces the acceleration, allowing some more weight to sit on the axle increasing grip, which causes things to cycle back to transferring weight off the axle and repeat. Rapid loading and unloading of the tyre will cause suspension distortion, which will make things worse, from what I understand anyway. There is probably a book on this!

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I'm not sure if it's just me, but the wheel hop in my MY19 is far less pronounced than in the previous Black Edition 290.
The wheel hop is the same in Cupra due to using a cheap front sub frame where as the Golf/S3 use a proper bonded Aluminium one. Cost cutting at It's finest

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Has anyone actually timed or seen a review of the new 290 doing a 0 to 60 timing? I was surprised to see the figure of 6 sec as I thought it would still be the 5.7 of old.
I've done a few recorded times and I was lucky to break 6.5 on the 0-100 in the dry with stock tyres. I've tried all methods but couldn't break the 6.5 mark!

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Reviews are good so far. Even read that it's better at handling it's power than the CUPRA (but I believe it was being compared to the 300)

It's official 0-62 is 5.6-7 secs as compared with the CUPRA at 6 secs. Even seen a video of reported 5.5 secs for the TRC.

The GPF has given it a very similar tone to the CUPRA as well.

Styling wise add the sides skirts and the oem front lip and CUPRA is much better to look at.

Fiddling with the differential, the torque limiter and the XDS settings via OBD should get the same results from a Cupra. There' no mechanical differences. Plus, automann TV managed to get a stock 300 to 100 kph in 5.2 seconds.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Carwow tested it on a track, so traction was probably better than on a public road. He got 5.5 to 60 using LC, 5.3 launching off idle.
He also tried the race car and did 6 to 60.
A Cupra test here got 5.5 to 100 km/h on a normal road, so they're basically neck and neck.
So, the TCR doesn't appeal to me for the extra bucks.

Reactions: Seastormer

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
The wheel hop is the same in Cupra due to using a cheap front sub frame where as the Golf/S3 use a proper bonded Aluminium one. Cost cutting at It's finest

You can swap them over and pretty cheap to buy as all A3 have them and it's a straight swap

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Do you have the new 290 or 280sc?
New 290 7 speed DSG. I used a friends proper timing gear and used phone apps for comparison.

I tried launch control (totally useless waste of rubber) and all other types of launching.

To be fair the car is on stock Continentals during cold weather.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.