Ordering an Ateca

Tell

Staff member
I don't know whether a phone call to Seat Customer services with your Seat Customer number would reveal more. The dealers have access to the order progress system but don't always use it. The central staff know how to interpret it. The build date is the all important one. Once that's allocated it doesn't change. That's how it was a couple of years back. The build date was allocated about six weeks after the order least in 2016 (in good times). Those wanting them in orange had to wait. A week to build, a month to ship over and get into the dealer.

Seat seem to do off the peg ones now (don't know about Ateca's thou) via their two outlets White City and Lakeside where they seem to have access to vehicles build outside the dealer supply line (via Carwow). Caused some kittens at the local Seat dealer on how they had access to them queue jumping in the dealer network. They come with Seat UK MK number plates but registered in London. Interesting operation.

Reactions: daver555

daver555

Aug 14, 2018
Thanks Tell, interesting. I'll grab the paperwork tonight and give Seat Customer services a call tonight/tomorrow. Got to be worth a try!

Tony Tonic

Jan 30, 2019
I don't know whether a phone call to Seat Customer services with your Seat Customer number would reveal more. The dealers have access to the order progress system but don't always use it. The central staff know how to interpret it. The build date is the all important one. Once that's allocated it doesn't change. That's how it was a couple of years back. The build date was allocated about six weeks after the order least in 2016 (in good times). Those wanting them in orange had to wait. A week to build, a month to ship over and get into the dealer.

Seat seem to do off the peg ones now (don't know about Ateca's thou) via their two outlets White City and Lakeside where they seem to have access to vehicles build outside the dealer supply line (via Carwow). Caused some kittens at the local Seat dealer on how they had access to them queue jumping in the dealer network. They come with Seat UK MK number plates but registered in London. Interesting operation.

I've ordered my Tarraco from White City, can you explain a bit more about the MK number plates and does this mean they get a priority build slot?

Tell

Staff member
I've ordered my Tarraco from White City, can you explain a bit more about the MK number plates and does this mean they get a priority build slot?

Possibly. It's their "new way of ordering car". It's an American company that runs it for Seat. That company has other dealerships in the UK.

https://www.seat-store.co.uk/

https://www.am-online.com/news/deal...at-retail-store-gets-green-light-at-westfield

https://www.group1auto.com/

Basically I reckon they see directly into the Seat order system. If Seat UK orders more than they have sold they get their dibs on them. The new way of not giving a customers a big choice on model spec means they can have more coming through in the supply line than allocated at factory build.

The intriguing number plates say "Seat UK MK", no name of a dealer network. The only other ones say Seat UK MK Press Office for the test cars. That's what gave it away to the local sales man. They probably get hot and bothered with their regional sales managers about the central operation. Which they did... last time we called in they had a lot of Seats on the forecourt. They were miffed that we could get one but they couldn't without the build delay.

Not sure how they prep them and where. The Westfield place have a little glass box presentation room in the car park below where they sit with DLR lights on, spot lit for the customer to pick them up and wave farewell at the barrier.

It's a bit perfunctory with not a lot of stroking. The Car Wow price they offered, agreed via messaging and phone but on the invoice they changed it. "If it was PCP we could match"... yeah with the cash price you offered but then retracted without saying anything. Only if you go through the invoice you find they had stuck £500 on it. The manager wasn't shifting but given we had short circuited a factory wait.

They put the VIN number on the invoice, so spent £8 for an hour's Erwin

https://erwin.seat.com/erwin/showHome.do

To check the build codes and also phoned up Seat Customer Services to check it's location in the supply chain. Was still in port.

Also downloaded the technical manuals as well. PS Before Xmas there wasn't anything on the Tarraco on that website. SSPs or technical manuals.

Tony Tonic

Jan 30, 2019
Possibly. It's their "new way of ordering car". It's an American company that runs it for Seat. That company has other dealerships in the UK.

https://www.seat-store.co.uk/

https://www.am-online.com/news/deal...at-retail-store-gets-green-light-at-westfield

https://www.group1auto.com/

Basically I reckon they see directly into the Seat order system. If Seat UK orders more than they have sold they get their dibs on them. The new way of not giving a customers a big choice on model spec means they can have more coming through in the supply line than allocated at factory build.

The intriguing number plates say "Seat UK MK", no name of a dealer network. The only other ones say Seat UK MK Press Office for the test cars. That's what gave it away to the local sales man. They probably get hot and bothered with their regional sales managers about the central operation. Which they did... last time we called in they had a lot of Seats on the forecourt. They were miffed that we could get one but they couldn't without the build delay.

Not sure how they prep them and where. The Westfield place have a little glass box presentation room in the car park below where they sit with DLR lights on, spot lit for the customer to pick them up and wave farewell at the barrier.

It's a bit perfunctory with not a lot of stroking. The Car Wow price they offered, agreed via messaging and phone but on the invoice they changed it. "If it was PCP we could match"... yeah with the cash price you offered but then retracted without saying anything. Only if you go through the invoice you find they had stuck £500 on it. The manager wasn't shifting but given we had short circuited a factory wait.

They put the VIN number on the invoice, so spent £8 for an hour's Erwin

https://erwin.seat.com/erwin/showHome.do

To check the build codes and also phoned up Seat Customer Services to check it's location in the supply chain. Was still in port.

Also downloaded the technical manuals as well. PS Before Xmas there wasn't anything on the Tarraco on that website. SSPs or technical manuals.
Did you do all this for your order or are you recommending me to do this? Don't quite get it.

Tell

Staff member
Did you do all this for your order or are you recommending me to do this? Don't quite get it.

Was an Arona.

Off a completely new car on the market Carwow isn't going to offer you much of a discount. For the Ateca there were a few pretenders in 2016 who couldn't offer you the price they advertised. Six months later things free up. You got the coupons the Seat site throws up. I got £1,000 off in 2016 at launch. Guess Tarraco is similar.

Erwin is good on the technical side. If you always bought a Hayes manual that's what Erwin offers. The workshop manuals plus dealer training manuals (SSPs). Depends how much technical knowledge you want. PDFs.

I wanted the Arona PDFs but decided we would check the build data of the car just to ensure it was what they said it was. At any stage in the ordering process you can phone up Seat Customer Services with your order number to check it's status. Dealers on the other hand just wave their hands. The all important build date is the one. Once you got that you can work out when you are getting it.

Westfields schedule you in for pick up like some supply line with lack of space. It sat in the port a bit. With the Ateca customer services told me when it was in the port, it's up to the dealer to then organise the transporter. Given I was in Japan at the time I put a call into the dealer to have it ready for my return :).

Tony Tonic

Jan 30, 2019
Was an Arona.

Off a completely new car on the market Carwow isn't going to offer you much of a discount. For the Ateca there were a few pretenders in 2016 who couldn't offer you the price they advertised. Six months later things free up. You got the coupons the Seat site throws up. I got £1,000 off in 2016 at launch. Guess Tarraco is similar.

Erwin is good on the technical side. If you always bought a Hayes manual that's what Erwin offers. The workshop manuals plus dealer training manuals (SSPs). Depends how much technical knowledge you want. PDFs.

I wanted the Arona PDFs but decided we would check the build data of the car just to ensure it was what they said it was. At any stage in the ordering process you can phone up Seat Customer Services with your order number to check it's status. Dealers on the other hand just wave their hands. The all important build date is the one. Once you got that you can work out when you are getting it.

Westfields schedule you in for pick up like some supply line with lack of space. It sat in the port a bit. With the Ateca customer services told me when it was in the port, it's up to the dealer to then organise the transporter. Given I was in Japan at the time I put a call into the dealer to have it ready for my return :).
£1000 plus £500 conquest. Not much as I usually expect 20% off a new car but since it is 0% PCP and not enough cash around , the monthlies work out ok, I said yes. Kodiaq had 22% off but at 5.5% it works out almost full price anyway.

Tell

Staff member
On a car just out then you don't get 15 or 20 percent... That's the penalty. But then on the Ateca now people are waiting months.

Basically Seat on the Tarraco will have specified a number of RHD ones to be built for dealers and the First Edition ones plus others they think they will sell in the pre order period. Westfields and Lakeside Seat get access to that order. Least that's what I reckon. On models which have been around a bit they get access to the models coming in. May be it's volumes or privalige that they aren't factory ordered ones. Sufficient to cause a bit of a stir with local Seat dealers. Mind you most people wouldn't travel across the country to get one. Only £35 a night at Hendon Services, menu not great ;).... then 8 miles in or you could wait five months and pay more for one that's been in production for a while.

Tony Tonic

Jan 30, 2019
On a car just out then you don't get 15 or 20 percent... That's the penalty. But then on the Ateca now people are waiting months.

Basically Seat on the Tarraco will have specified a number of RHD ones to be built for dealers and the First Edition ones plus others they think they will sell in the pre order period. Westfields and Lakeside Seat get access to that order. Least that's what I reckon. On models which have been around a bit they get access to the models coming in. May be it's volumes or privalige that they aren't factory ordered ones. Sufficient to cause a bit of a stir with local Seat dealers. Mind you most people wouldn't travel across the country to get one. Only £35 a night at Hendon Services, menu not great ;).... then 8 miles in or you could wait five months and pay more for one that's been in production for a while.

Where are you based?

SEAT reckons the 1.5 TSI will be the bulk of sales in the UK so I might need to wait longer for the TDI, who knows.

By the way does SEAT turn all the buttons on the centre console and screen around for RHD vehicles (mirror image of LHD) or like Skoda they don't bother?

Tell

Staff member
Where are you based?

SEAT reckons the 1.5 TSI will be the bulk of sales in the UK so I might need to wait longer for the TDI, who knows.

By the way does SEAT turn all the buttons on the centre console and screen around for RHD vehicles (mirror image of LHD) or like Skoda they don't bother?

Perhaps not on the diesel they probably have ample supply.

The start button is shifted on the Ateca, on the Arona it isn't. Tarraco I think they will shift it.

The navigation panels remain in the same place.

The fuse box is hidden behind the glove box in the Ateca, fiddly to get at same as the Tiguan and Skoda Kodiaq so reckon you will be the same. The Arona they moved it, least I think so, that's on the right unless it's always on that side on the LHD.

Updating the maps see the threads around here, that's sorted for the standard.

Tony Tonic

Jan 30, 2019
Perhaps not on the diesel they probably have ample supply.

The start button is shifted on the Ateca, on the Arona it isn't. Tarraco I think they will shift it.

The navigation panels remain in the same place.

The fuse box is hidden behind the glove box in the Ateca, fiddly to get at same as the Tiguan and Skoda Kodiaq so reckon you will be the same. The Arona they moved it, least I think so, that's on the right unless it's always on that side on the LHD.

Updating the maps see the threads around here, that's sorted for the standard.
I meant for example the ON/OFF button for the screen is on the left and the volume on the right for LHD , do they swap them around?

Tell

Staff member
No, but you do get the repeat again button for navi on the steering wheel, least on the Plus. I think you do on the standard Navi for the Ateca, so you'd get that, but the Arona doesn't have the repeat button except you hit the the right hand button of the navi. It's possible the steering wheel button for the navi repeat gets taken out with the virtual cockpit.

You should find everything the same as the Kodiaq and the Allspace which will be very similar to the Ateca and the Tiguan.

daver555

Aug 14, 2018
Hi all. Well, it's been a while and thought it was time for an update. After the constant wait for the 190bhp Diesel to be released (still delayed) we decided to go with the petrol variant. The dealer managed to source us a Rodium Grey 2ltr 190bhp Xcellence Lux DSG with added pano-roof and space saver spare wheel. We took delivery in early March and have so far put on just over 2k miles. Took it easy for the first 1k as I'm old-skool and to date it has been an absolute joy to drive. All the driver aids took A LOT of getting used to coming from a 2013 Ford Focus with very little tech but its like second nature now. Still not keen on the feel of the lane assist but that's my only gripe apart from curious as to why a heated steering wheel wasn't considered by Seat!?! I'll post some photos when I get round to taking some.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Glad it's going well. I did wonder what they had done with the 190 bhp diesel. Mine goes well ;).

I don't use lane assist myself although having the camera the in lux spec you do have the capability of turning on traffic sign recognition with the associated speed warnings via VCDS mods. TSR warning beeps help you keep the speed down. It works well.

Lane Assist I keep off preferring to drive the car myself rather than fighting the stiffness of the wheel when you want to move the path of travel. We have too many potholes it the UK to go round for automatic steering.

I see 1.5 TSI people are reporting issues which go back prior to the engine coming onto the Ateca in MY19 release. So good choice considering.

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
Hi all. Well, it's been a while and thought it was time for an update. After the constant wait for the 190bhp Diesel to be released (still delayed) we decided to go with the petrol variant. The dealer managed to source us a Rodium Grey 2ltr 190bhp Xcellence Lux DSG with added pano-roof and space saver spare wheel. We took delivery in early March and have so far put on just over 2k miles. Took it easy for the first 1k as I'm old-skool and to date it has been an absolute joy to drive. All the driver aids took A LOT of getting used to coming from a 2013 Ford Focus with very little tech but its like second nature now. Still not keen on the feel of the lane assist but that's my only gripe apart from curious as to why a heated steering wheel wasn't considered by Seat!?! I'll post some photos when I get round to taking some.
I've turned the lane assist off on mine as it used to react to all sorts of imperfections in the road as well as white lines...

Reactions: Tell
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise