Manual vs dsg pops bangs?

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
Hi all
I'm looking at a cupra 290 or a 300 but not sure if to go for a dsg or manual, any options?
Can you hear the pops and bangs in a manual in either too ??

KUSHTY

Jul 6, 2017
Cambridge
IMO the 300 dsg is the best for bangs and pops. Sounds like 290 struggle to pop even when bouncing off of the limiter- my 300 pops in comfort mode under medium acceleration. Plus, again IMO, the copper bits look tacky.

Reactions: Brooster89

Jonno02

Apr 8, 2015
For manual to pop&bang properly you will need a software change.

What? My 290 BlackEd manual bangs and pops like nobodies business. Hard acceleration, on gear change, I get a very short fart. On overrun, it crackles like hell.

I'm extremely worried by 290 DSG Copra coming on Friday is going to be absolutely silent.

Reactions: Cuprabenwytm

Brooster89

Oct 13, 2018
I've had my 300 ST (non-copper) for nearly 3 months and haven't heard a peep. Doesn't really bother me tho.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Hi all
I'm looking at a cupra 290 or a 300 but not sure if to go for a dsg or manual, any options?
Can you hear the pops and bangs in a manual in either too ??
Far be it for me to tell anyone how to choose their car but I would have thought that there were many criteria to consider, not just the noise it makes.

The DSG is a very different driving experience to a manual. If you haven't driven one before (sorry, I'm not familar with your history or knowledge of Cupras) then I'd strongly advise you to take a test drive. Personally, despite my hatred of torque converter autos, I love mine but some people feel that it lacks the connection of a manual.

Another factor is that the clutch is a known weak point in the manual - its the same one that's used in a Golf GTI despite the 60 bhp hike.

I take it you're talking about the original 290 (pre-facelift), not the new (post WLTP) one? There is no manual version of the new one. The question of whether you particularly want a facelift (300 on) car is also relevant.

Sorry, if I'm mansplaining, just trying to help.

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
Far be it for me to tell anyone how to choose their car but I would have thought that there were many criteria to consider, not just the noise it makes.

The DSG is a very different driving experience to a manual. If you haven't driven one before (sorry, I'm not familar with your history or knowledge of Cupras) then I'd strongly advise you to take a test drive. Personally, despite my hatred of torque converter autos, I love mine but some people feel that it lacks the connection of a manual.

Another factor is that the clutch is a known weak point in the manual - its the same one that's used in a Golf GTI despite the 60 bhp hike.

I take it you're talking about the original 290 (pre-facelift), not the new (post WLTP) one? There is no manual version of the new one. The question of whether you particularly want a facelift (300 on) car is also relevant.

Sorry, if I'm mansplaining, just trying to help.
The DSG box isn't a torque convertor - it's a twin clutch direct shift box. I also find the driving experience really boring now I've got an MY19 DSG 290 vs my manual 290 Black Edition. I feel one step away from the car now as I can't rev match gearchanges myself etc. There's no doubting the speed of the thing making it feel faster through the gears as it feels like one long gear as it shifts.

Reactions: LouG

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
The DSG box isn't a torque convertor - it's a twin clutch direct shift box. I also find the driving experience really boring now I've got an MY19 DSG 290 vs my manual 290 Black Edition. I feel one step away from the car now as I can't rev match gearchanges myself etc. There's no doubting the speed of the thing making it feel faster through the gears as it feels like one long gear as it shifts.
I can see exactly what your saying but because my missus uses it in the week and is constantly in traffic it's so much easier with the dsg.

Janusz

Oct 4, 2018
What? My 290 BlackEd manual bangs and pops like nobodies business. Hard acceleration, on gear change, I get a very short fart. On overrun, it crackles like hell.

I'm extremely worried by 290 DSG Copra coming on Friday is going to be absolutely silent.
my 280 manual even with 3 inch turboback was not really crackling. I had a stage 3 mods added and now in cupra mode it farts and crackles like crazy, machine gun style.
Maybe 280's are not popping when in stock.

Jonno02

Apr 8, 2015
my 280 manual even with 3 inch turboback was not really crackling. I had a stage 3 mods added and now in cupra mode it farts and crackles like crazy, machine gun style.
Maybe 280's are not popping when in stock.

280 and 290 have different exhausts I think. When I first start my car, the first round of crackles within 10 seconds are firecracker loud. Then they become quieter.

Jordan Neill

Nov 25, 2018
My 280 manual, pops on gear changes and crackles when lifting off. Only however started doing this after I fitted the zaustworx resonator delete exhaust.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.