Cupra and Nurbuegring lap time?

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Just wondering why Seat have not redone the laptime record since the launch of the Sub 8 and does it really mean that 280 -290-300 and 310R is just marketing which many think ? In the hot hatch market lap time sales are important to manufacturers for sales and bragging and after the big annoncment with the Sub8 model I'd have thought they would have redone them with the introduction of the other models if they where faster around the ring which I'm pretty sure there not but it's good for launching a new model I suppose.

Deleted member 103408

Based on what i see on this and many other sites people are buying cars because of price on lease deals.

Seat are selling all they can make by the looks of it so they don't have to worry.

Also I suspect they are waiting for the new Electric cars and the Cupra Brand to start that war again.

Reactions: Seastormer

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Also, what would it do for VW sales if they lapped it in about the same time as the Golf TCR? I guess they just don't want to outshine the other VAG brands.
...and, it might also be the case that they are not able to outpace the Civic Type R (which they won't) so what is the point in even trying?

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
Ring times are largely pointless IMO, certainly wouldn't have any influence on my purchasing decision. Its more manufacturer bragging. It relates in no way to how you'd drive a car in real life. I'm more influenced by road test reviews by the likes of EVO magazine as they test the cars in conditions that reflect the roads I'll use my car on. The Cupra does ok in those reviews but it's rarely the class winner as there are better hot hatches out there. It then comes down to price, the deals SEAT have offered on the Cupra since the 280 right through to now on the 290v2 are what has helped sales hugely I would of thought in the UK.
When they launch the Mk4 Leon Cupra my decision to buy one or not will not even factor in the ring time. It'll be how it drives on the road and how it's priced and how it looks.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Ring times are largely pointless IMO, certainly wouldn't have any influence on my purchasing decision. Its more manufacturer bragging. It relates in no way to how you'd drive a car in real life. I'm more influenced by road test reviews by the likes of EVO magazine as they test the cars in conditions that reflect the roads I'll use my car on. The Cupra does ok in those reviews but it's rarely the class winner as there are better hot hatches out there. It then comes down to price, the deals SEAT have offered on the Cupra since the 280 right through to now on the 290v2 are what has helped sales hugely I would of thought in the UK.
When they launch the Mk4 Leon Cupra my decision to buy one or not will not even factor in the ring time. It'll be how it drives on the road and how it's priced and how it looks.

Totally agree and exactly how we buy a car but its probably why there are less enthusiastic owners of these cars now and just lease chasers but was just curious why Seat have not redone it as thats what most performance manufacturers do as a benchmark and selling point..

Last edited:

Deleted member 103408

@Tara I think I would qualify your statement "but its probably why there are less enthusiastic owners of these cars now", there are still a dedicated hard core of real owners (eg not on any form of lease) like yourself, I have today had a number of mods to my car to make it even better whilst retaining the original character of the car. In my personal view the big difference the Leasing world has made is people are now driving cars that in the past they could never afford. Again in the past people would have bought older cars (still good and reliable) and done some modifications to them. Today they can get on a lease a brand new car but understandably from the Lease company point of view modifications have to be limited.

Reactions: Seastormer

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
@Tara I think I would qualify your statement "but its probably why there are less enthusiastic owners of these cars now", there are still a dedicated hard core of real owners (eg not on any form of lease) like yourself, I have today had a number of mods to my car to make it even better whilst retaining the original character of the car. In my personal view the big difference the Leasing world has made is people are now driving cars that in the past they could never afford. Again in the past people would have bought older cars (still good and reliable) and done some modifications to them. Today they can get on a lease a brand new car but understandably from the Lease company point of view modifications have to be limited.

Exactly and I suppose you can't blame them in a way but I got my Cupra because I wanted it and not because I couldn't afford a Golf R.
And it is nice being able to mod it if you want to , which ones have you had by the way ?

Deleted member 103408

Me i am on the original 280 but heavily modified to my needs.

Deleted member 103408

Thank you, as does yours, mine is all under the skin we are off to Cadwell and Snetterton to check out the latest updates. Got the Audi Subframe and front strut braces on the way so will be out again in March to see the difference in handling and power delivery.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Thank you, as does yours, mine is all under the skin we are off to Cadwell and Snetterton to check out the latest updates. Got the Audi Subframe and front strut braces on the way so will be out again in March to see the difference in handling and power delivery.
Sounds good and could you keep me up to speed on the Sub frame as it's something I'm interested in , I used to do lots of track days Year's ago in my Integra Type R and loved it , most of them where at Castle Coombe but I also done Silverstone a few times as well and the little Integra loved it and one of my all time favourite cars.

Deleted member 103408

Yes will do, They wont be fitted till march at the earliest as its a couple hours fitting plus all the suspension and tracing will have to be sorted.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
As I understand it, the Cupra was the last record holder in standard trim. By that I mean not a factory special version of the base model.
The Civic Type R time was too much quicker to be wholely believeable. Especially when you see the Carwow vid of the R reeling in the Civic over a quarter mile, that made the Civics power figure look a bit inflated. The Japanese are not above fiddling the spec when needed.
I suspect a well set up 300SC or Cupra R would get to 7.48ish, maybe quicker.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
As I understand it, the Cupra was the last record holder in standard trim. By that I mean not a factory special version of the base model.
The Civic Type R time was too much quicker to be wholely believeable. Especially when you see the Carwow vid of the R reeling in the Civic over a quarter mile, that made the Civics power figure look a bit inflated. The Japanese are not above fiddling the spec when needed.
I suspect a well set up 300SC or Cupra R would get to 7.48ish, maybe quicker.

That is ridiculous as they are all pretty much the same car and the Sub 8 set 7.58 , its like saying a remapped 280 running 350bhp will do 7.40 secs. If a 300 never mind a Cupra R could run those times it would have already of been done by Seat all IMO though.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Jordi showed me lots of pictures of the exact car that ran the record and quite a few phone videos when I was with him a few years ago, despite lots of people claiming it was stripped out it did have back seats etc, it was basically a FR with Cupra engine dropped into it, few aero mods like the rear thins on boot and a few KG saved with air con removed.

It would be pointless for SEAT or Cupra to try attack the times now because the current Leon MK3 is in roll out now for the arrival of the MK4, they might try to attack it again with the MK4 especially as they will want to boost the Cupra brand.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Jordi showed me lots of pictures of the exact car that ran the record and quite a few phone videos when I was with him a few years ago, despite lots of people claiming it was stripped out it did have back seats etc, it was basically a FR with Cupra engine dropped into it, few aero mods like the rear thins on boot and a few KG saved with air con removed.

It would be pointless for SEAT or Cupra to try attack the times now because the current Leon MK3 is in roll out now for the arrival of the MK4, they might try to attack it again with the MK4 especially as they will want to boost the Cupra brand.

Ok and I never knew that , so are you saying it was not a Sub 8 and that they just added the suspension , engine , Brembo kit and Cup tyres which is effectively a Sub 8 to an FR for the run ?

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth

Ok and I never knew that , so are you saying it was not a Sub 8 and that they just added the suspension , engine and Brembo and Cup tyres which is efe to an FR for the run ?
Yeh it was a test mule

That's brilliant lol.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.