LED Fog Lights/White Fog Lights

EFF11

Jun 16, 2016
You can fit LED bulbs in the Seat fog lights but they must be the correct type.

LED fog light bulbs that have LEDs distributed around a cylinder, and also have front facing LEDs are projector bulbs. These are for projector fog lights, in which the front glass is a lens that shapes the beam. If they are fitted to a Leon fog light they will scatter light in all directions.

Leon fog lights have a plain front glass and the beam is shaped by the reflector/halogen bulb combination. The relatively small filament of the bulb is positioned as a single source of light at the focal point of the reflector. This produces a controlled wide beam with a sharp horizontal cutoff. Also, the bulb is capped to prevent uncontrolled light from being projected forward to obliterate the cutoff and dazzle oncoming drivers.

A replacement LED bulb must have an LED, the same size as the bulb filament, attached to each side of a flat blade. The blade must be vertical when installed in the housing and must be capped.

Two reliable brands offering the correct bulbs are Nighteye and Novsight. I fitted Novsight bulbs from Amazon. When I fitted the first one the cutoff aligned correctly with the original bulb in the other fog light. A scan with OBDeleven showed no fault codes. The beam from a fog light should decline from the horizontal by approximately 3 degrees.

The images in the Amazon listing show the structure of the bulb. They are cheaper on Ebay but Amazon is a safer bet because you can return them if you experience any problems. There are very similar bulbs on ebay that are not capped. They are projector bulbs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOVSIGHT-H...8451271&sr=8-1&keywords=novsight+h8+fog+light

Ash82

Aug 19, 2018
Manchester

LED fog light bulbs that have LEDs distributed around a cylinder, and also have front facing LEDs are projector bulbs. These are for projector fog lights, in which the front glass is a lens that shapes the beam. If they are fitted to a Leon fog light they will scatter light in all directions.

Leon fog lights have a plain front glass and the beam is shaped by the reflector/halogen bulb combination. The relatively small filament of the bulb is positioned as a single source of light at the focal point of the reflector. This produces a controlled wide beam with a sharp horizontal cutoff. Also, the bulb is capped to prevent uncontrolled light from being projected forward to obliterate the cutoff and dazzle oncoming drivers.

A replacement LED bulb must have an LED, the same size as the bulb filament, attached to each side of a flat blade. The blade must be vertical when installed in the housing and must be capped.

Two reliable brands offering the correct bulbs are Nighteye and Novsight. I fitted Novsight bulbs from Amazon. When I fitted the first one the cutoff aligned correctly with the original bulb in the other fog light. A scan with OBDeleven showed no fault codes. The beam from a fog light should decline from the horizontal by approximately 3 degrees.

The images in the Amazon listing show the structure of the bulb. They are cheaper on Ebay but Amazon is a safer bet because you can return them if you experience any problems. There are very similar bulbs on ebay that are not capped. They are projector bulbs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOVSIGHT-H...8451271&sr=8-1&keywords=novsight+h8+fog+light

I’ve just order these, any thoughts?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/371777157354

EFF11

Jun 16, 2016

They are projector bulbs. Each of the LEDS will create it's own beam off the reflector and the light from the front facing LEDs will be uncontrolled. There is an amusing USA video on Youtube in which a man drives down a highway proudly demonstrating the way his new LED fog lights light up overhead gantries better than his headlights. Not much beam cutoff there.

If you scroll down that listing you will see two Nighteye bulbs that are right for the job (single LED), and cheaper. If you look at the images of the Novsight bulb in the Amazon listing you will see that the LED is the same size as a halogen bulb filament. That is the only way an LED fog light bulb can emulate a halogen bulb.

You are better off buying from Amazon because you can easily return them, especially if one turns out to be dud.

Reactions: LuM and Ash82

Ash82

Aug 19, 2018
Manchester
They are projector bulbs. Each of the LEDS will create it's own beam off the reflector and the light from the front facing LEDs will be uncontrolled. There is an amusing USA video on Youtube in which a man drives down a highway proudly demonstrating the way his new LED fog lights light up overhead gantries better than his headlights. Not much beam cutoff there.

If you scroll down that listing you will see two Nighteye bulbs that are right for the job (single LED), and cheaper. If you look at the images of the Novsight bulb in the Amazon listing you will see that the LED is the same size as a halogen bulb filament. That is the only way an LED fog light bulb can emulate a halogen bulb.

You are better off buying from Amazon because you can easily return them, especially if one turns out to be dud.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I will contact them to send back. I want to get the correct ones for the car.

Have you got any pictures of yours done?

I assume they match well with the led lights?

EFF11

Jun 16, 2016
Hi

Thanks for the reply, I will contact them to send back. I want to get the correct ones for the car.

Have you got any pictures of yours done?

I assume they match well with the led lights?

I can't post photos, but they are very bright and match the LEDs. It is worth getting the Novsights because we know they are OK. Straight swap, no beam adjustment needed and no errors.

I suspect there are a lot of cars driving around with projector bulbs in their fog lights.

Ash82

Aug 19, 2018
Manchester
I can't post photos, but they are very bright and match the LEDs. It is worth getting the Novsights because we know they are OK. Straight swap, no beam adjustment needed and no errors.

I suspect there are a lot of cars driving around with projector bulbs in their fog lights.

I am going to get them, also if they are error free that’s a bonus . I appreciate the assistance

I will try and post some before and after shots

Ash82

Aug 19, 2018
Manchester
Bulbs have arrived

Attachments

• D888A9E4-CC96-401D-B070-E493246625A9.jpeg
    D888A9E4-CC96-401D-B070-E493246625A9.jpeg
    984.9 KB · Views: 128

Spuddy01

Aug 30, 2018
Just ordered the novsight bulbs from aliexpress so let the wait begin. But I'm sure it will be worth it once they arrive & for €11.81 delivered can't go wrong

Rif

Jan 22, 2019

Good advice thanks. Am about to order the bulbs in the link. Will they need fettling to fit in the H8 holders?

EFF11

Jun 16, 2016
Good advice thanks. Am about to order the bulbs in the link. Will they need fettling to fit in the H8 holders?
No, they are already mounted in bulb holders as are the halogen bulbs. Just remove the existing bulb from the housing and disconnect it from the wiring harness. Then connect the new bulb to the harness and install it.

They are a very bright white light with a slight bluish tinge (colour temperature 6000K, power 80W). That is the same for any LED fog light bulb you will see on Ebay.

Rif

Jan 22, 2019
No, they are already mounted in bulb holders as are the halogen bulbs. Just remove the existing bulb from the housing and disconnect it from the wiring harness. Then connect the new bulb to the harness and install it.

They are a very bright white light with a slight bluish tinge (colour temperature 6000K, power 80W). That is the same for any LED fog light bulb you will see on Ebay.

I thought the H8 and H11 bulb holders had slightly different tabs. Thats why I was slightly confused by the item description which lists every type in the title. I guess they have made a universal holder type which accommodates all tabs?

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I thought the H8 and H11 bulb holders had slightly different tabs. Thats why I was slightly confused by the item description which lists every type in the title. I guess they have made a universal holder type which accommodates all tabs?
Nope, I put H11 LEDS in my fogs as opposed to oem H8 . No issues at all.

Rif

Jan 22, 2019
Came across this company intro vid on Novsight

Also an explanation video which illustrates the points EF11 was making.

Reactions: Spuddy01

EFF11

Jun 16, 2016
Just noticed that the Amazon listing has changed from 'Sold by Novsight fulfilled by Amazon' to 'Sold by Novsight', and the price has increased to £21.98. So you wait a few weeks for them.

You can get them direct from Novsight for £16.84 and pay by Paypal.

https://www.novsights.com/collectio...ght-fog-light-1700-1800lm-pair850-900lm-bulb#

Sorry
Just noticed the bulb in this listing is identical to the bulb I bought but the listing does not include H8 as a compatible size. But it does include H11 as the Amazon listing does. So they may not fit.

Last edited:

Ash82

Aug 19, 2018
Manchester

Attachments

• 6BE9BE41-EFB5-4B8E-B759-C4EEC0609F05.jpeg
    6BE9BE41-EFB5-4B8E-B759-C4EEC0609F05.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 179
  • EEC3083B-1E99-4CFE-A7AC-A6AFEB52A448.jpeg
    EEC3083B-1E99-4CFE-A7AC-A6AFEB52A448.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 160
  • 8B2004F1-5F01-4BF7-837E-93B7DFDFA2BC.jpeg
    8B2004F1-5F01-4BF7-837E-93B7DFDFA2BC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 165
  • 172CB6EE-C18F-434D-B15D-B89716952EEF.jpeg
    172CB6EE-C18F-434D-B15D-B89716952EEF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 263
Reactions: Spuddy01

Spuddy01

Aug 30, 2018
Upgrade mine now , they look brill I will take a picture in the dark. Getting around the water tank was a problem , I had the remove the arch casing but I was taking off my winter tyres anyway
Looks like a bit of work involved would you say it's easier to remove the wheels to get the bulbs in?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.