• No

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Undecided - Would want to see if actually possible

Votes: 16 19.8%

• Total voters

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
I've got a DSG Cupra and have recently been looking at paddle extensions.

I'm not massively keen on the stick on ones, so have been looking for replacement paddles.
Unfortunately you can't get these for the Leon (You can get ones for the Golf R and Golf though and they are Expensive!).

So I've got a replacement standard paddle shifter ordered and I'm looking at designing up and getting some proper replacement ones made (I'm a design engineer so should be pretty simple, plus have contacts that can make them for me).

My question is...

How many people would be interested in actual replacement paddles, rather than the stick on ones?
If I can get them to work, get enough interest and get them cheap enough (either machined or 3D printed) I would consider selling them, or even custom designing them for people (colours, materials, shapes, finishes, engraving etc)

I'm also hoping to get the little red LED working too.

What are people's thoughts? Is there much of a market for them?

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress...

wms_F1

Jul 10, 2018
Id be interested, as I too dont like the stick on ones. I wouldnt mind the stick on ones as much if they sit flush with the existing paddles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CupraNJ

Apr 4, 2017
Bristol
I'd be interested. I bought the clamp on type from Haz Motorsport, but they are very chunky and not aesthetically pleasing IMHO. The design is not great either and they hit the back of the steering wheel restricting the paddle travel. Sent them back.

onkkel

Jul 12, 2018
Finland
I'd be interested. I bought the clamp on type from Haz Motorsport, but they are very chunky and not aesthetically pleasing IMHO. The design is not great either and they hit the back of the steering wheel restricting the paddle travel. Sent them back.
I agree that they are pretty substantial but I like it as they're always within reach. I have these on my 280 ST and I don't have issues with them hitting the back of the steering wheel. Maybe something wrong with the ones you got? Good that you were able to return them :)

wms_F1

Jul 10, 2018

I had a similar experience, found them to be too chunky and you lose the feel from the paddle when shifting. Didnt find them hitting the steering wheel though!

I would love something simpler like the Relak Moto ones:

http://relakmoto.com/Rallytech-Paddles-Satin-Black-RtechBlkB9.htm

Or these from DSG paddles:

https://www.dsg-paddles.com/collections/2017-audi/products/v3-carbon-fiber-paddles-for-audi

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
So I'd be looking at making them pretty simple like the above ones, after all simple means cheaper.
They would be a complete replacement like the Golf R Racingline ones, So would sit in exactly the same place as the standard ones.

I'll be starting the design work next week when my broken paddle arrives.

Reactions: wms_F1

CupraNJ

Apr 4, 2017
Bristol
I had a similar experience, found them to be too chunky and you lose the feel from the paddle when shifting. Didnt find them hitting the steering wheel though!

I would love something simpler like the Relak Moto ones:

http://relakmoto.com/Rallytech-Paddles-Satin-Black-RtechBlkB9.htm

Or these from DSG paddles:

https://www.dsg-paddles.com/collections/2017-audi/products/v3-carbon-fiber-paddles-for-audi

I agree, both of those linked are subtler and more like what I'm looking for, but don't like the stick on type.

CupraNJ

Apr 4, 2017
Bristol
I agree that they are pretty substantial but I like it as they're always within reach. I have these on my 280 ST and I don't have issues with them hitting the back of the steering wheel. Maybe something wrong with the ones you got? Good that you were able to return them :)

Yes could be. Good service from Haz with s quick and hassle free refung.

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Update time.
Still not received my donor paddle, but was bored during a conference call so made some foamboard prototypes for some different size/shapes.

I'm personally leaning towards larger versions of the original shape or the smaller of the two actual extensions.

I'm going to look at some standard paddle shapes in different cars too and see what looks good.
1552a17144f4e89c69862416d8969c6a.jpg
c5722b6ce36683d00bbbfd5f4a10e912.jpg
10f7f831e4f6a459770acb8d12f6c9b9.jpg
c4a63a97ac3bde6db98c6cec33f6dde3.jpg
bd2ff0385fb8241c1cca45a5f1859566.jpg
7b45347aafc154a6fbc346b0bf2e58c2.jpg

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
Update time.
Still not received my donor paddle, but was bored during a conference call so made some foamboard prototypes for some different size/shapes.

I'm personally leaning towards larger versions of the original shape or the smaller of the two actual extensions.

I'm going to look at some standard paddle shapes in different cars too and see what looks good.

What's with the MPH spedo?

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
What do you mean?

I'm in the UK so we work on MPH

I was sure UK is KMH. It's all metric but speed is MPH?

Either way: i have the stick on paddels in black aluminum and they are great, The only downside is the the back is a bit thick and unshaped, if they would have CNCed the back to make some finger room it would have been perfect.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
I was sure UK is KMH. It's all metric but speed is MPH?
UK is a right hotch potch of units, it drives me mad. For example, we buy petrol in litres but quote fuel consumption in MPG.

However, the speed limits are MPH. The picture shows the reminder when you cross the border in Ireland. Can't remember if there's one at the exit to the channel tunnel too.

Wait until Brexit is complete, there'll probably be a campaign to change our currency back to pounds, shillings and pence!

Attachments

• speed limit.jpeg
    speed limit.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 214

Ebygum

Jan 9, 2019
Update time.

1552a17144f4e89c69862416d8969c6a.jpg
c5722b6ce36683d00bbbfd5f4a10e912.jpg
10f7f831e4f6a459770acb8d12f6c9b9.jpg
c4a63a97ac3bde6db98c6cec33f6dde3.jpg
bd2ff0385fb8241c1cca45a5f1859566.jpg
7b45347aafc154a6fbc346b0bf2e58c2.jpg
Can I suggest you look at the paddles in an Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce (my current car until the Cupra 290 arrives). They are large and made from solid Aluminium, very tactile and in my opinion all the better from being made out of metal and not plastic. I can upload some pics tomorrow if you want further ideas for size/shape.

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Can I suggest you look at the paddles in an Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce (my current car until the Cupra 290 arrives). They are large and made from solid Aluminium, very tactile and in my opinion all the better from being made out of metal and not plastic. I can upload some pics tomorrow if you want further ideas for size/shape.
That's fine I'll Google it.

I've made some more today anyway. Basically replicas of Porsche and BMW ones.
They will look miles better when the original isn't there too
69cc41fa44f01d793f113288d50c013e.jpg
4eae27ece8a91b12dac7b930fec68a99.jpg
94b89896d13f87ec13cc5031ddb6ed69.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Right. My broken DSG paddle arrived so I spent some time modelling up the first one and got it on the 3D print.
Some quick shots:

vfwHA0Vl.jpg

zmwVzPel.jpg

OYyLh4ul.jpg

What it should look like:

d9JhAuZl.jpg

3D printed ones will be done tomorrow!

wms_F1

Jul 10, 2018
Excellent work! Looking forward to seeing what they look like 3D printed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk