The ultimate front splitter thread

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I’ve got a Leon ST Cupra on order, hopefully delivery by May/June.

It’s Nevada White with the official Side Blade kit being installed by Seat dealer as soon as it arrives.

I’d like to add a splitter (so it looks more like the Carbon Edition Versions) and thinking about the TRC one because I want it fitted properly and they are pretty near to me.
I’ve spoken to them and they said they are getting a facelift version of their splitter ready for sale soon.

The thing I’m wondering is how long will these things last ?
I don’t want to get £30k worth of new car and then put something in it that may break and/or fall off !!
If it’s installed my TRC themselves will it be good to go for several years ? - providing I don’t hit it if course lol

For the record I do prefer the subtlety of the Reiger, but I do like that fact with TRC I can get them to fit for me with what I would presume is a professional job.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Ok thanks for the info. I will still bear the Reiger in mind.

TRC will fit for £35 so it considerably cheaper than the Reiger.

Assuming that TRC fit it for me is the quality of the TRC splitter decent ?

I’ve read reports of the Maxton splitters (which look similar in design to the TRC) being poor quality and prone to snapping at speed, don’t want to be in the same boat !!

Bullet

Mar 1, 2019
Bedfordshire
I have a TRC splitter on my Fiesta ST (new Leon Cupra 290 arriving in a couple of weeks which is why I'm lurking here!) and it's pretty good quality. Stone chips get it but I used a black marker pen to touch them in. Once polished it looks good and fits really well - TRC fitted mine as I'm only south of Bedford so not far.
My only observation is that I think I can hear a wind-type noise when at an undisclosed speed (if you get my drift) so wonder if having sealant of some kind between the car and the splitter when fitted to be sure there is nowhere for the air to squeeze through, even though there's no obvious gap.

Reactions: Slickric21

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Thanks @Bullet for that.
If I do go for the TRC i’ll ask them to seal it when fitting !!

Re the wind noise does anyone else here notice an increase in noise with these splitters installed ??

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I had the TRC one in my 280 for nearly 3 years. Just before I sold the car I had it taken off and now it’s on another 290.

It had a small knick in it but it otherwise looked like new when clean.

On another note if you’re going for an aftermarket splitter that sits below the bumper I would say get the full side skirts instead of the blades.

They sit lower so make the car look lower and will balance out better with the front splitter then.

Reactions: Slickric21

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Ahhh good point !!

I’d decided on the Side Blades as I like the Black section on them, thought it would look good with the gloss Black mirrors and Pano roof on the Nevada White ST Cupra Lux I’ve ordered.

Was thinking that with the splitters being Black they wouldn’t look out of place/unbalanced (with the White Side Blades) cos they kinda disappear when looking from the side.

Hmmmm even more decisions now :cry:

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Ahhh good point !!

I’d decided on the Side Blades as I like the Black section on them, thought it would look good with the gloss Black mirrors and Pano roof on the Nevada White ST Cupra Lux I’ve ordered.

Was thinking that with the splitters being Black they wouldn’t look out of place/unbalanced (with the White Side Blades) cos they kinda disappear when looking from the side.

Hmmmm even more decisions now :cry:
Thsts a fair point but I found without the side skirts the front looked to low. Then with the skirts the black splitter needed to match.

Just my opiniin though...
F78A897C-C4B0-4DB0-9B40-CC8FB3EF3B63.jpeg

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Wow that looks fantastic, I think it will have to be the Reiger splitter based on those pictures.
Looks factory fitted !!

That is what I try to tell everyone. And it looks even better in the flesh.
You never see pics from that angle, but the corners, where it meets the wheel, also look great - they stick out a little bit there.
If I go out on car today and remember it, I will make some pics.

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018
@Slickric21 I have to agree with @Jaco2k on this one, I have the Rieger front splitter and rear diffuser fitted on my 2017 St300. I have to say that the Rieger gear fits like a glove and looks awesome on the car. The front splitter was easy to install but the rear diffuser was a pain in the a**. I know there are a few options to choose from but my money would be on a Rieger all day long. By the way no whistling noise at speed. Had front splitter for 9 months with no problems, rear diffuser for 2 months.
IMG_0357.jpg
IMG_0165.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg
IMG_0356.jpg
IMG_0316.jpg

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
And don't post pics of mine because ...well, they look the same as everyone has been posting :)
I am looking now into getting the used part that goes behind the rear plate from a breaker and painting that gloss black to fit in the car.
Also looking at the Maxton glossy black sideskirts, but after sending them a message requesting some clarification and getting no replies, I am not so sure I am going with them anymore.

Reactions: Deano j1971

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018
And don't post pics of mine because ...well, they look the same as everyone has been posting :)
I am looking now into getting the used part that goes behind the rear plate from a breaker and painting that gloss black to fit in the car.
Also looking at the Maxton glossy black sideskirts, but after sending them a message requesting some clarification and getting no replies, I am not so sure I am going with them anymore.

Yeah...that backing is next on my list. I think I might just sand it down smooth and have a go at spraying it myself,I sprayed the exhaust tips and they turned out ok. Then remove the number plate housing and just stick the number plate back on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018

Always nice to see some good photos of your car @Jacko2k not everyone looks the same,especially when they are sideways on a ice track.

Reactions: Jaco2k

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Yeah...that backing is next on my list. I think I might just sand it down smooth and have a go at spraying it myself,I sprayed the exhaust tips and they turned out ok. Then remove the number plate housing and just stick the number plate back on.

That is pretty much what I am going to do, but since the part from the breaker costs me about 20€, I rather buy one that I can do out of the car and then fit it to car replacing the original one ;)

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018
That is pretty much what I am going to do, but since the part from the breaker costs me about 20€, I rather buy one that I can do out of the car and then fit it to car replacing the original one ;)

Do you know if it’s a bumper off job for that or can it be taken off with a trim tool to get behind the clips??

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Always nice to see some good photos of your car @Jacko2k not everyone looks the same,especially when they are sideways on a ice track.

I initially was disappointed that my Rieger bits did not arrive prior to that ice track event...
...after having to replace both front fender liners and seeing the marks it left on the lower part of the bumper, I am glad they didn't.
There was a fellow there with a Subaru BRZ that had splitter, side skirts and diffuser.
20 mins after the day 1 started he pulled in dragging a sideskirt along the floor, and I read in the FB group for the event that he also had to get a replacement splitter after the event.
...the Moto of the day was "go big or go home" ;)
Me and him where the ones pushing for the most agressive/camera friendly drifts in the event and there is a price to pushing so far.
I had a ride on his car as a passenger and him on mine and we were both impressed.
I have a feeling that this Rieger splitter I fit now will last until about the next ice track event next year :) :) :)

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Do you know if it’s a bumper off job for that or can it be taken off with a trim tool to get behind the clips??

I intend to find out when I get the used part and look at the back of it.
I am definitely not wanting to remove the bumper... If it proves too complicated, I paint the current part in place, but I just think the outcome will be better if the part is painted out of the car and then fit to place.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Wow that looks fantastic, I think it will have to be the Reiger splitter based on those pictures.
Looks factory fitted !!
The Rieger does look good, but then on the pre facelift the TRC looked great too. Will be interesting to see what the TRC looks like for the facelift when it comes.

Last edited: