The 2019 Leon Copra 290 thread

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
Interesting, I just watched this German review of the new 2019 Copra 290:
and they mention that the OPF killed the DSG shift farts and most of the overrun pops and bangs.
When I listen to the clips in the review, the car indeed doesn't appear to be making any of those noises.
My car however, does make them. Is there some different tuning going on here between various countries? How are your cars compared to the one in the above video review?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ryosaurus26

Ryosaurus26

Oct 25, 2018
and they mention that the OPF killed the DSG shift farts and most of the overrun pops and bangs.
When I listen to the clips in the review, the car indeed doesn't appear to be making any of those noises.
My car however, does make them. Is there some different tuning going on here between various countries? How are your cars compared to the one in the above video review?

Took delivery of mine yesterday (UK) and I’ve not heard the exhaust once in Cupra (done 150 miles in it). When on the outside you can hear a few pops when you rev it. But in Cupra the sound symposer is quite loud (louder than the 300). Ive tried it in comfort and sport, you can hear the DSG farts but it is quiet (quieter than yours in your videos)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheLuckys

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
Took delivery of mine yesterday (UK) and I’ve not heard the exhaust once in Cupra (done 150 miles in it). When on the outside you can hear a few pops when you rev it. But in Cupra the sound symposer is quite loud (louder than the 300). Ive tried it in comfort and sport, you can hear the DSG farts but it is quiet (quieter than yours in your videos)

Quiet farts are still farts, and they will get louder ;). So then at least the UK and NL cars have a decent tune on them. I can't think of anything else that could be different.

Reactions: Ryosaurus26

Jonno02

Apr 8, 2015
My Copra is now 4 weeks old and on 1000 miles.

I still maintain that this Copra is far louder than my 66 plate 290 black edition. Either I had a unicorn 290black which was very quiet, or my Copra is the exception to the rule and is very loud. When warm, my 290black with start-stop would be silent when starting back up. My Copra when starting up again gives me a deep grumble and burbles; note - both cars had the soundaktor unplugged.

I posted a thread a while ago, where another user commented they'd noticed this strange behaviour also. Please do not get this confused with turning the car off in cupra and it still showing cupra mode when you turn it back on, but it's actually in comfort. This is nothing to do with that.

Sometimes when the car is on in cupra mode, it will decide to change mode back to comfort itself, but still show in cupra mode and stop the exhaust crackles. Once you change driving mode out of cupra and back into it, it will start crackling instantly again. This is NOTHING to do with gearbox mode either. I have extensively tested this with the following results.

My drive home from work is 10 miles, there is a long straight road out of the industrial estate I work in. I always put the car in cupra mode when I get in. Along this road, the car crackles and pops happily. I then drive my 10 miles and when I get into my housing estate, I sometimes notice that the car will not crackle anymore. I reverse up to my garage to enhance the noise, door open, 3k RPM overrun, no crackle. Change to comfort, then back to cupra and it'll crackle like a maniac.

Whereas other times, exactly the same route and conditions, I get home and the car is still crackling right up to my house. The other user in my thread said they'd noticed it after a few times the car does start-stop. So I made sure I disabled this on startup. Still, sometimes the car will refused to crackle after a while driving.

I have tested this in D, S and M gearbox modes. When the car decides it's not crackling anymore, no matter what mode and what RPM you take it to, it will not crackle.

This happened again yesterday, a 30 mile drive, car in cupra and popping happily at the start. I get home and hadn't stopped except from at traffic lights and roundabouts; car was always left in D, never put in N or P, and the car is refusing to pop. Change mode, then back to cupra and it's popping like crazy again.

It's extremely infuriating and the only thing I can think of is that some 'condition' is triggered where the car shifts back to comfort for emissions reasons.

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
My Copra when starting up again gives me a deep grumble and burbles
Mine does the same thing, although I have to put the back seats down to really hear it.

Sometimes when the car is on in cupra mode, it will decide to change mode back to comfort itself, but still show in cupra mode and stop the exhaust crackles.
I've never had this issue. Also, when put into Sport or Cupra mode my car refuses to start/stop. Can it be that the car is not up to temp yet, and it's disabling Sport/Cupra mode to reduce engine wear? A 10mi drive is not very long. I'd imagine your car is barely up to temp when you arrive.

Ryosaurus26

Oct 25, 2018
ecebb57aedac95b603224a8ccda23783.jpg

Decided to plastidip the copper badge

Jonno02

Apr 8, 2015
Mine does the same thing, although I have to put the back seats down to really hear it.

I've never had this issue. Also, when put into Sport or Cupra mode my car refuses to start/stop. Can it be that the car is not up to temp yet, and it's disabling Sport/Cupra mode to reduce engine wear? A 10mi drive is not very long. I'd imagine your car is barely up to temp when you arrive.

It will start/stop once you are up to temperature and are not using air con or heated seats at once; if the power draw is too great, the engine will stay on.

I don't know what being up to temp has to do with anything. I can hear the crackles instantly when I turn the car on. Also happened on a 30 mile drive as I said yesterday. This isn't anything to do with gearbox mode, engine mode when the car is started, start-stop or engine temperature. The car is changing engine mode on its own on the new Copra's.

User @CupraRobX has also confirmed he has this.

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
It will start/stop once you are up to temperature and are not using air con or heated seats at once; if the power draw is too great, the engine will stay on.
Mine doesn't. When I put it into Sport or Cupra it disables the start/stop system. This happens even when up to temp with air con and heated seats off. As soon as I enable Comfort again it will start/stop. Switching to Sport or Cupra with start/stop active will also immediately restart the engine.

I don't know what being up to temp has to do with anything.
When the engine is not up to temp it will wear faster, especially under higher RPMs. When in Sport or Cupra mode, the engine will idle at a higher RPM and also hold gears for longer. Because this can potentially damage your engine, it would make sense that the engine management system decides to disable it under certain conditions.
Of course, if this also happens after 30mi of driving this cannot be the case.

I can hear the crackles instantly when I turn the car on. Also happened on a 30 mile drive as I said yesterday. This isn't anything to do with gearbox mode, engine mode when the car is started, start-stop or engine temperature. The car is changing engine mode on its own on the new Copra's.
This sounds really weird, I would take it to the dealer to see if there may be a problem somewhere.

Jonno02

Apr 8, 2015
Mine doesn't. When I put it into Sport or Cupra it disables the start/stop system. This happens even when up to temp with air con and heated seats off. As soon as I enable Comfort again it will start/stop. Switching to Sport or Cupra with start/stop active will also immediately restart the engine.

That's strange. All of my cupra's have had start-stop enabled in cupra mode, once the engine is warm.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
That's strange. All of my cupra's have had start-stop enabled in cupra mode, once the engine is warm.
I'll confirm tonight but I'm sure that DSG- Sport when enabled through either the drive mode select (sport or Cupra) or by knocking the shifter down to "S" disables Start-Stop.

I've been knocking into S for certain roundabouts and junctions to prevent the start-stop from catching me out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

silles

May 4, 2017
I'll confirm tonight but I'm sure that DSG- Sport when enabled through either the drive mode select (sport or Cupra) or by knocking the shifter down to "S" disables Start-Stop.

I've been knocking into S for certain roundabouts and junctions to prevent the start-stop from catching me out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
i can confirm, start-stop gets disabled when S mode is selected ( Cupra 300)

Jonno02

Apr 8, 2015
i can confirm, start-stop gets disabled when S mode is selected ( Cupra 300)

That's good to know, I don't like how early it cuts out sometimes.

Still doesn't explain the mystery stopping of the exhaust pops as I press the disable button when the car is started.

Jimborosslato

Nov 12, 2018

Mine's now got over 2k miles on the clock and I get regular pops and crackles on overrun (pretty loud once the exhaust has warmed up!)
I only get them in sport and cupra mode(although it's harder to hear due to the soundaktor).
Can't say I've really noticed any loud dsg farts, maybe the odd muted one in lower gears when accelerating hard.

Reactions: bgb

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
The car in the German review is probably brand new or very low miles, mine hardly made a sound when it was new. Done over 2500 miles now and getting plenty of noise from the exhaust.

Reactions: TheLuckys and bgb

hallsy67

Mar 11, 2010
Bristol
One thing from the German review that they pick up on and it’s mentioned in the comments is the 100 to 200 time is 14.5 where as the 300 stock is 12.8 to 13.1. That’s a big difference.

Mar 3, 2019
The car in the German review is probably brand new or very low miles, mine hardly made a sound when it was new. Done over 2500 miles now and getting plenty of noise from the exhaust.
I asked how many miles at it was under 2000 kilometers.
Today I also drove to a Seat dealer and at the start the Cupra can’t get more then 4000rpm. Only when you disable ESC or called ESP you can get more RPM. The dealer means that the car is also loud and has farts.
I didn’t hear the farts only the bangs/pops. Does anyone else with more miles hear farts?

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
One thing from the German review that they pick up on and it’s mentioned in the comments is the 100 to 200 time is 14.5 where as the 300 stock is 12.8 to 13.1. That’s a big difference.
I noticed that as well... I'll try to double check that when I'm in Germany.

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
I asked how many miles at it was under 2000 kilometers.
Today I also drove to a Seat dealer and at the start the Cupra can’t get more then 4000rpm. Only when you disable ESC or called ESP you can get more RPM. The dealer means that the car is also loud and has farts.
I didn’t hear the farts only the bangs/pops. Does anyone else with more miles hear farts?
Check the videos on my channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLuckys4

David Something

Mar 5, 2019
Loving the number plate blanking technique :D
Bit basic as I done a video for personal use so couldn't really blur out. Forgot to remove the covers till 10mins into journey back home which could of been interesting, honest officer :)

David Something

Mar 5, 2019

The sound Actuator is too loud and really annoying, want to either disconnect or turn down. At least in my MY16 Octy vRS diesel it wasn't sooo loud.

Might disconnect this weekend, as there is not too much I want to change via OBD I cannot see the point of purchaing for this one purpose, yet.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.