Cupra clutch bleeder restriction grommet

Two90Black

Mar 3, 2019
So as most know the Cupra clutch has its flaws. Apart from it going all slippy when the torque goes up. The main issue seems to be the feel of the pedal and the slight delay in it returning when trying to release it quickly.

Theres a few videos showing the problem which seems to be the little yellow grommet that sits in the bleeder part just under the airbox.

One video I watched commented on the need to burst the thing out. Another showed the top bleed nut (9mm) being removed to try and get the thing out...... but!!!

It doesn’t say if it can just be scooped out of there. My thoughts were if it can, then do you need to go to the hassle of removing the whole bleeder or can you just open up that nut and fish it out?

Anyone on here done it?

Can it just be lifted out?

If not what’s stopping it?

Cheers!

Reactions: Polly and paddy6789

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
The main issue seems to be the feel of the pedal and the slight delay in it returning when trying to release it quickly.

I may have misunderstood but,
If it is of any help/interest the latest Civic TR I think has/had just a similar system.
It is complex. It basically prevents drivers from 'dumping' 'popping' or 'side stepping' the clutch to get 'off the mark' quickly or like a launch control.

[Only ever done it once, smashed a gearbox]

This protects the clutch, driveline etc and box. The Civics seemed more complex [a special return valve] and owners were complaining it even prevented it being used 'quickly' so a re engineer/design was mooted.

Two90Black

Mar 3, 2019
Paddy, yes ultimately that is the point of it. Which is fine for static starts. But when the car is moving and going between the gears it creates a problem where you get back on the throttle and the car is still slowly letting the clutch up. Granted its only for about a second. But that still equates to a lot of engine revolutions with the clutch partially engaged.

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
On BMWs it's called the clutch delay valve and does exactly that. Delays how quickly the clutch can engage.
It's common practice on them (I did it to both of mine) to remove it.

Never had an issue with wear or breaking anything. If anything all it does is improve drive ability immeasurably.

Janusz

Oct 4, 2018
It comes all out.
You drop the airbox.
Then you remove the bleeder valve.
You need to take out the bleeder itself from the whole thingy and through bleeder hole it will come out.

On mine I also drilled it through with 6mm drill so diameter is even.
Additoonally under the dash there is a spring that you can remove so pedal gets a little more feel.
Overall I am happy with it. 1h job in total for both items.

Two90Black

Mar 3, 2019
On BMWs it's called the clutch delay valve and does exactly that. Delays how quickly the clutch can engage.
It's common practice on them (I did it to both of mine) to remove it.

Never had an issue with wear or breaking anything. If anything all it does is improve drive ability immeasurably.

Didn’t realise it was such a commonly done thing. This is the first I’ve heard of it on a car. When I first drove mine I thought the pedal had got caught on something. Then Googled it to see that its part of the design.

Two90Black

Mar 3, 2019
It comes all out.
You drop the airbox.
Then you remove the bleeder valve.
You need to take out the bleeder itself from the whole thingy and through bleeder hole it will come out.

On mine I also drilled it through with 6mm drill so diameter is even.
Additoonally under the dash there is a spring that you can remove so pedal gets a little more feel.
Overall I am happy with it. 1h job in total for both items.

Yeah seen how to get to the bleeder on utube. Just wondered if you could take it out of the top of the bleeder without having to remove the whole bleeder unit.

From where did you get the little yellow grommet out? Can u get it up out of the bleed nipple part if you unscrew it from the unit?

Janusz

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah seen how to get to the bleeder on utube. Just wondered if you could take it out of the top of the bleeder without having to remove the whole bleeder unit.

From where did you get the little yellow grommet out? Can u get it up out of the bleed nipple part if you unscrew it from the unit?
Well makes little sense to do it without removing it really.
You will have no way to stop the brake fluid to spill.
Some of those peple on youtube did in the really bad way.
1st you need a cap to cover tightly the fluid line that goes into it. I lost maybe 10ml of fluid doing so. I used some nos drops covering tip for it
Then you take it out.
remove the bleeder
take out the yellow restrictor
drill if you wish to make it even
get the bleeder back.
put it all together.
attach a hose to fit the bleeder and bleed the clutch.
In total I used like 50ml of brake fluid and it was totally clean work.

Brake fluid is a **tch to clean up..... and if you loose a lot you will spend time bleeding it.

arossi101

Cupra 290 ST
Sep 5, 2016
Glasgow
Done my Clutch Delay Valve today and what a difference its made, change gear better, I can now accelerate knowing when I let go of the clutch itll be ok and not ping up all of a sudden when it feels like it!

k290b

Apr 15, 2019
I’ve done my cupra and the wife’s GTI

Very easy to do. Airbox off pull the clips and real ease the hose

Stick the hose in a bottle to catch the fluid undo the bleed nipple connection and knock it out

Takes about 30 mins

Does make the clutch feel a lot better

arossi101

Cupra 290 ST
Sep 5, 2016
Glasgow
They try to say it helps but it actually burns it out quicker so that means a trip back to the branch to see them about a new one, which isn't cheap!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members