Changing suspension

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
I was meaning in terms of the suspension, so comfort, normal and sport would be gone.

Damian @ DPM Performance
But I did ask if I will lose the other stuff like steering and diff and engine and you said I will lose it all.
Do you know someone i could talk to that knows for 100%

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
Does that mean I will lose the ability to change anything from comfort to sport? (Like will it still work when I press the button in the car for the steering or engine or diff)

This was what I asked and you replied

(Correct, you'll basically lose the DCC feature.

Damian @ DPM Performance)

So by losing the DCC feature I won't be able to change from sport to comfort which in doing so changes other things like steering and engine and diff.
So if i can't change from comfort to sport I lose all of that.

Basically I want bilstein b16 suspension but I don't want to lose all my computers cause I don't see the point in upgrading suspension if i lose other features like being able to change the engine from smooth and slow to harsh and fast and the steering from heavy to light. Do you know what I mean.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
@Charliessmith

Everyone has said the same thing.

If you change your DCC suspension to coil overs without the DCC, you will simply lose the ability to change the dampener setting.

Steering, engine, throttle, diff, air con and ACC if you have it will be unaffected. The DCC delete is just to stop you getting error messages and make it easier to swap back.

If you're not bothered about having comfort mode etc in suspension only, then you’re fine.

Or if you’re like @theoldboy and want to keep comfort for when you’re cruising, then get the KW or Bilstein coilover lots that can plug into the DCC and work like the standard setup. But it’s just more £££

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
As mentioned, isn't the steering in a different option to DCC?

The steering is a different part of the driver profile so changes seperetly to the DCC yes.

The only place you can set it individually though is in the ‘individual’ setting, otherwise it’s set as per the pre programmed. But you’re 100% right, swapping the suspension only effects the DCC part of the driver profile.

Reactions: Brooster89

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
@Charliessmith

Everyone has said the same thing.

If you change your DCC suspension to coil overs without the DCC, you will simply lose the ability to change the dampener setting.

Steering, engine, throttle, diff, air con and ACC if you have it will be unaffected. The DCC delete is just to stop you getting error messages and make it easier to swap back.

If you're not bothered about having comfort mode etc in suspension only, then you’re fine.

Or if you’re like @theoldboy and want to keep comfort for when you’re cruising, then get the KW or Bilstein coilover lots that can plug into the DCC and work like the standard setup. But it’s just more £££
Thank you that was as clear as water lol just need things put in lamens terms lol.
The standard suspension is coilovers so is it worth upgrading or is it just as good.
I'm going to get the KW plug and play coilovers anyway lol

Last edited:

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The standard suspension is coilovers so is it worth upgrading or is it just as good.
I'm going to get the KN plug and play coilovers anyway lol

Not quite sure what you’re asking here.

Most standard car suspension these days is in fact coilovers. All coilover means is the spring fits around the dampener. As it happens on the Cupra, the front is a coilover setup, the rear the spring and dampener setup are separate.

Coilovers in the ‘modification’ sense that your referring to is the ability to adjust 1 or more aspects of the suspension. Usually height combined with different levels of adjustability of the dampening, bound rebound, etc.

To answer the question of whether it is worth upgrading, you’d have to ask someone who has done it. In my experience on other cars, adjustable coliover suspension is better than just springs. But I couldn’t say in the Leon’s case personally as it has DCC. A lowering spring with DCC may offer a better compromise than coilovers without DCC.

Personally I’ll be saving to get the KW DCC setup, in the end, but I maybe persuaded to get eibach lowering springs in the shorter term. I like the ability to swap between different dampening settings, so adjustable coilovers without the plug in DCC function will not be an option.

However if you’re only using the car on the track, the non DCC adjustable coilover suspension will likely be better, as it will be lighter and more track focused.

You pay your money you take your chances.

As for KW Vs Bilstein, these days I’d say KW are just as good as Bilstein. 15 years ago I wouldn’t of said that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 103408

Just to let you have an idea of what it looks like

This is the front setup (Coil over Damper) - The purple ring at the bottom allows you to raise and lower the suspension level.

suspension_on.jpg

This is the Rear as you can see the damper and the spring are seperate.

Rear_Suspension.jpg

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
Just to let you have an idea of what it looks like

This is the front setup (Coil over Damper) - The purple ring at the bottom allows you to raise and lower the suspension level.

suspension_on.jpg

This is the Rear as you can see the damper and the spring are seperate.

Rear_Suspension.jpg
Thank you it looks great that's what I'm going to get the KW ddc.
Do you know if you can adjust the height when they are installed. Did it lower the car at all when you installed the KW coilovers?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thank you it looks great that's what I'm going to get the KW ddc.
Do you know if you can adjust the height when they are installed. Did it lower the car at all when you installed the KW coilovers?

I can answer that for @theoldboy.

Yes you can and yes it does.

Think Even on the highest setting it lowers 15mm.

Have you even looked a the info from KW on what you’re buying. Will help.

Reactions: Brooster89

Deleted member 103408

What he said. You can adjust within the pre defined settings at any time you want they give you a tool to do it.

Here is a couple pics so you can see how levels can change

Cadwell Park.

index.php

Front Driveway
index.php

With new Track Wheels and Tyres.
index.php

check out my readers ride for many more pics.

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
I can answer that for @theoldboy.

Yes you can and yes it does.

Think Even on the highest setting it lowers 15mm.

Have you even looked a the info from KW on what you’re buying. Will help.
I have looked and researched them but nowhere does it say about how much it lowers the car just that you can lower it.
I have 19inch wheels if it lowers when there fitted will the wheels rub on the arches or is it clear to go as low as they can?

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
What he said. You can adjust within the pre defined settings at any time you want they give you a tool to do it.

Here is a couple pics so you can see how levels can change

Cadwell Park.

index.php

Front Driveway
index.php

With new Track Wheels and Tyres.
index.php

check out my readers ride for many more pics.
Is that the maxton design front splitter and rear diffuser?

Deleted member 103408

I have looked and researched them but nowhere does it say about how much it lowers the car just that you can lower it.
I have 19inch wheels if it lowers when there fitted will the wheels rub on the arches or is it clear to go as low as they can?

I have 19" wheels on a 45 offset and when I go low low (no idea what cm that is) then yes I get rubbing on the inside wing but at my current level no problems with rubbing. Have a chat with the guys at DPM Performance they will be able to tell you top and bottom levels.

This setup is not designed for a pure track car, much more about allowing you to lower the car but still enjoy comfortable driving and using the Modes firm it up to Cupra when required and I am very happy with the way it works against that specification.

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
I have 19" wheels on a 45 offset and when I go low low (no idea what cm that is) then yes I get rubbing on the inside wing but at my current level no problems with rubbing. Have a chat with the guys at DPM Performance they will be able to tell you top and bottom levels.

This setup is not designed for a pure track car, much more about allowing you to lower the car but still enjoy comfortable driving and using the Modes firm it up to Cupra when required and I am very happy with the way it works against that specification.
What does on a 45 offset mean?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.