EGR removal

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
My egr is blanked off but has anyone removed all traces. Pipes, sensors etc.... ? Is it possible and what was the result.

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Google begs to differ. If it's blocked off and passes the mot then surely removal of the whole system would be fine?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190415_072729_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190415_072729_com.android.chrome.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 58

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Gotta check the MOT manual mate, can't trust the first thing that pops up on google.

8.2.2.1 Exhaust emission control equipment

You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as diesel oxidation catalysts, diesel particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation valves and selective catalytic reduction valves.
  1. Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer missing, obviously modified or obviously defective

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Right, but the sentence you've cut out of your quote between the sub-heading and the description of the check says:

This inspection is only for vehicles that must have a full catalyst emissions test (disregarding the basic emissions test). You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, and exhaust gas recirculation valves.

Last I checked diesel cars don't get the full catalyst emissions test.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov...class3457/Section-8-Nuisance.html#section_8.2

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Smith

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Right, but the sentence you've cut out of your quote between the sub-heading and the description of the check says:

Last I checked diesel cars don't get the full catalyst emissions test.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov...class3457/Section-8-Nuisance.html#section_8.2

I've even put the correct header number in, at least bother to read down far enough.

8.2.2 Compression ignition engine emissions

8.2.2.1 Exhaust emission control equipment
You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as diesel oxidation catalysts, diesel particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation valves and selective catalytic reduction valves.

If a diesel particulate filter has clearly been cut open and rewelded, you should reject it unless the vehicle presenter can show evidence that there was a valid reason to cut it open, such as for filter cleaning.

1. Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer missing, obviously modified or obviously defective
  2. An induction or exhaust leak that could affect emissions levels
  3. Evidence that the diesel particulate filter has been tampered with

Last edited by a moderator:

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Honestly check the ******* manual will you??

I've even put the correct header number in, at least bother to read down far enough.

Haha, fair enough… I clearly have read the wrong part of the manual so my apologies for that.

What’s with the swearing though…? Really...?

Reactions: Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
I read this as only check parts that are visible and identifiable. If all the egr bits are removed then surely are no longer checked under the mot?

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Part of it will be down to what can / cannot be seen on a visual inspection and part of it will be down to how familiar the tester is with the particular vehicle / engine.

On my CR engine the EGR pipe is clearly visible with the engine cover on so if the tester knows it's supposed to be there and isn't then they should be failing that.

Don't forget there's a port on the exhaust manifold that will need blanking off with with the EGR circuit completely removed and there's no way to do that without it being obvious there's a blanking plate that's been put there. This would be visible from an inspection from below, as would the absence of the EGR cooler if you removed that too.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
I read this as only check parts that are visible and identifiable. If all the egr bits are removed then surely are no longer checked under the mot?

No, like the manual says if it's obviously missing then it's a straight fail.

The MOT testers aren't idiots, they'll know what the EGR looks like and what an EGR delete pipe looks like.
It's front and centre on the engine too so it's completely obvious.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.