Failed MOT - Headlamp light intensity

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
My car has just failed it's MOT due to the nearside front headlight not having enough intensity. It's classed as severely reduced, hence the fail

I had the bulb (D1S) replaced a few weeks ago (as the headlamp had stopped working)

The replacement bulb got things working but clearly there is another fault I wasn't aware of

The testing garage have said it could be either the power module or control unit (I have part numbers for both)

Is there an easy way to check which part might be at fault?

Or would buying a full replacement headlamp do the job (assuming it comes with all required parts)?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
My car has just failed it's MOT due to the nearside front headlight not having enough intensity. It's classed as severely reduced, hence the fail

I had the bulb (D1S) replaced a few weeks ago (as the headlamp had stopped working)

The replacement bulb got things working but clearly there is another fault I wasn't aware of

The testing garage have said it could be either the power module or control unit (I have part numbers for both)

Is there an easy way to check which part might be at fault?

Or would buying a full replacement headlamp do the job (assuming it comes with all required parts)?

Thanks in advance

As far as i.m aware you,d still need to buy the booster thingy and bulb

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kevo13

Dec 14, 2018
As far as i.m aware you,d still need to buy the booster thingy and bulb

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
This is very similar to a problem ive got. Trouble is when i looked cheapest lights with afs n all other stuff on was nearly £500 for one unit. And i need 2 units!! . What i had considered was getting 2 cheap aftermarket units and good projector lenses and rwtrofit those but i was having trouble getting an answer from anybody if i could marry oem up with aftermarket lamps

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
In reply to op can you swop bits from the good side over in turn to identify the problem? Then find out which other Seats use the parts and acquire second hand. I did find out at work when needing for an mot a ballast for a Nissan it was cheaper to buy a complete lamp unit rather than just the ballast. Something about regs that mean approx 200 parts must be of a reasonable cost in order to prevent cars being written off after accidents due to popular bits being so costly.

Reactions: chrisjgill

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
Thanks for the replies

I have had some diagnostics run on the car and the power ballast is at fault

I've read on here of other people sourcing parts from eBay and fitting themselves

The cost is high for a genuine part