MIB1 vs MIB2

Kothaex

Sep 24, 2018
Hi guys,

As in the title, what are the differences between the MIB1 and MIB2 systems?

I have a 2014 Cupra 280 SC with the MIB1 system, and I've contacted VW Retrofit as they are fairly close and said they can do a retrofit of the MIB2 system with discover pro 8" (9"?) screen, but it's nearly £1k for that!

I'm aware that it'll be snappier and have access to Carplay / Android Auto, which is what I really want, but at £1k that might be better put towards simply buying a newer Cupra. Any other differences that might improve the offering?

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
I think it's mainly a higher definition and larger display, performance, full link. More detailed maps on satnav (i think) with maps you can update yourself. Maybe in-built hard drive for storing music etc.

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
I don't think you can update the maps yourself in the UK, cept with a new SD card

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
I don't think you can update the maps yourself in the UK, cept with a new SD card
On the MIB2 you can. Pretty sure you can with the MIB1 too.
All it does is give an error code if you fault scan

I'd go for the MIB2. You can update the software to match the latest ones and retrofit the 8" screen for about £300.

it.
2c8e9154336677f641a15b93b74bbddf.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Only going by what the dealers and guys on here said.
The only way to update a MIB2 was with a new SD card its on V7 which is the latest. [2018]
I would love to hear how it can be updated further as I would like to do that unless totally techy and goes back to downloading, formatting zip files etc etc and putting them on new SD cards.

[PS my so called MIB2 does not look like that screen shot.]

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Only going by what the dealers and guys on here said.
The only way to update a MIB2 was with a new SD card its on V7 which is the latest. [2018]
I would love to hear how it can be updated further as I would like to do that unless totally techy and goes back to downloading, formatting zip files etc etc and putting them on new SD cards.

[PS my so called MIB2 does not look like that screen shot.]

So the way I was told to do it (and how it worked for me)
Download new maps
Copy the old maps off your current SD card
Put new maps on the SD card.
Replace the "overall.NDS" file in the new maps folder with the one from your old one.

My MIB2 is a 2016 Pre-facelift car. The newer (facelift) MIB2 come with a 8" screen, not the 6.5" that the pre-facelift was fitted with.

Cheriton

Mar 3, 2019
Portsmouth
Download new maps
Replace the "overall.NDS" file in the new maps folder with the one from your old one.

My MIB2 is a 2016 Pre-facelift car. The newer (facelift) MIB2 come with a 8" screen, not the 6.5" that the pre-facelift was fitted with.

Hi,
Is the "overall.NDS" file . specific to an individual car. If not is there anywhere, where you can buy a SD card with V7 maps but with an old "overall.NDS" file on it?...or am I barking up the wrong tree. lol

Kothaex

Sep 24, 2018
Hi guys

Nice to see some discussion around the units
I've always heard you can't update MIB1 maps yourself, dealer only for £100.

Just to clarify I drive a 2014 MIB1 cupra, was wondering if you guys thought upgrading from 5.5" MIB1 to 9" discover pro MIB2 with a custom retrofit for £1100 was worth it. Android Auto (love waze and google maps) is a big selling point for me

Probably not, but I want my cupra to be perfect and I can't afford a brand new one!

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Download new maps

Sorry, Apparently mine is a MIB2 'High' which can now only be updated easily with the new SD cards from Dealer.
SEAT confirm the V7 [2018] is the latest.

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
So is the MIB1 the old head unit in the 280 that has the crappy media in port and poor display? That's what I have in mine and I hate it although it's not terrible I just really miss android auto. Is there anyway of getting it on this head unit? Or would I be better off buying a aftermarket unit?

Kothaex

Sep 24, 2018
So is the MIB1 the old head unit in the 280 that has the crappy media in port and poor display? That's what I have in mine and I hate it although it's not terrible I just really miss android auto. Is there anyway of getting it on this head unit? Or would I be better off buying a aftermarket unit?
Hi mate

I actually made this thread with that in mind

I have the MK3 Cupra 280 (2014) with the mib1 5" exactly as you describe

Alex at vw-retrofit.co.uk quoted me over £1k for the MIB2 system with the 9" discover pro from 2019 VW's I think

So yes it is possible but very expensive and bespoke

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
Hi mate

I actually made this thread with that in mind

I have the MK3 Cupra 280 (2014) with the mib1 5" exactly as you describe

Alex at vw-retrofit.co.uk quoted me over £1k for the MIB2 system with the 9" discover pro from 2019 VW's I think

So yes it is possible but very expensive and bespoke

Yeah that's big money! I'd be happy with the same size screen but with android auto. I wonder if I could just buy one from a breakers yard and swap them over?

Kothaex

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah that's big money! I'd be happy with the same size screen but with android auto. I wonder if I could just buy one from a breakers yard and swap them over?
Think there's some programming involved unfortunately.... There's a good chance that some car functions so I'd wanna get it done by a business and with a robust guarantee of some kind.

That said I REALLY want android auto and a nice screen, but one that fits into the cars look and I can't find any good looking aftermarket ones that'd suit.

Joedj9

Aug 30, 2018
Think there's some programming involved unfortunately.... There's a good chance that some car functions so I'd wanna get it done by a business and with a robust guarantee of some kind.

That said I REALLY want android auto and a nice screen, but one that fits into the cars look and I can't find any good looking aftermarket ones that'd suit.

That's a pain. I could do with the maps updating as well if I'm honest. I asked about them today at the dealers but they want £100+ for a new sd card. I thought that was a bit steep. Hopefully I'll find one on Ebay.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members