Maxxis Premitra Tyres

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Just a quick recommendation.

I bought a set of Leon FR wheels that came with a set of Maxxis Premitra tyres. Almost full tread so I thought I'd see how they behaved. Ordinarily I'll buy tyres from the more established brands and I'm very critical of tyres.

These tyres are excellent and in my opinion a bargain! I've had the chance to push them in both the dry and the wet, they are grippy and predictable with very good resistance to aquaplaning. I was going to say that they are great tyres for the price but to be fair, they are great tyres, period. If someone told me they cost over one-hundred pounds I would believe them.

For those who don't know, Maxxis are one of the largest tyres manufacturers in the world. In the mountain biking, Maxxis rule the demanding down-hill/free-ride market but, while they are big players in other parts of the world, Maxxis car tyres are not a major part of the UK market. So they are not junk no-brand tyres.

I know that when these wear out I'll be looking for more. Give them a try.

Reactions: Boroboy

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've used Maxxis mountain bike tyres but never thought of car tyres. My local fitters don't stock them,

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Unless I'm being a muppet I don't see them for my 19's like trying new stuff out lol

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
If purchased by a Maxxis dealer shop then they also have a puncher guarantee that if they can't repair it they will replace it free if above 80% wear and at a cost below.

Having heard many good things about Maxxis now I'm tempted to try some..

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
I've used Maxxis on previous cars in the past, never had any issues with them, I consider them to be a mid range tyre, similar to say Nexen. Which are used by some new manufacturers now.

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I consider them to be a mid range tyre, similar to say Nexen.

I feel they are better than that. I buy the best tyres I can find, the ones that do the best in the tests and are rated the highest by users. I only ended up with these tyres because they came on the wheels. I can't really see how the performance is anything other than top drawer. Even in the wet they are great.

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
I feel they are better than that. I buy the best tyres I can find, the ones that do the best in the tests and are rated the highest by users. I only ended up with these tyres because they came on the wheels. I can't really see how the performance is anything other than top drawer. Even in the wet they are great.
Good, the newer generation of Nexen tyres are very good too. As Kia and Hyundai use them from new. Even with budget tyres I'v never found a bad one in the dry, it's the wet weather that really tests tyres.
Maxxis also do an All Season tyre too. Which is decent for all year round use, cheaper than the premium brands too. Although if you like driving to the limits, not really a great choice. Depends what you want from a tyre really.
For the car that I drive now my GT-Radial tyres a a good choice for all weather driving.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Even with budget tyres I'v never found a bad one in the dry, it's the wet weather that really tests tyres.

MY2011 Pirelli P7's, not to clever in the dry, I'm not even going to bother going into their wet weather grip, I'm told they only produced them for 6 months, I have driven cars on budgets that have performed better in the dry..

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
MY2011 Pirelli P7's, not to clever in the dry, I'm not even going to bother going into their wet weather grip..

I had a set of Pirellis, another type, that were so bad I took them off and sold them. Really scary sudden breakaway in the wet.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Even though I'm a tight Scottish git who lkes to save a few bob whenever I can, I still want the best I can get, just at the cheapest price. As tyres are the only thing keeping my Cupra on the twisty border roads I use, I will stick to the Mich Pilot Sport 4 S tyres.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Even though I'm a tight Scottish git who likes to save a few bob whenever I can, I still want the best I can get...

I totally agree. I scour the reviews and test and buy the winners. If the tyre performs well I buy them again. Tyres are too important to skimp on.

I'm not recommending this tyre as a good budget option. I'm recommending it full stop. I'm not saying it's good enough for a Cupra but it's as good as anything I've used yet costs less.

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
Just like a lot of things in life, tyres are down to personal preference too. I've just bought myself a set of Bridgestone A005's (x4). I consider these to be a premium summer orientated, all season tyre, that can be used in winter too. Has better winter use properties than a standard summer tyre, but not as good as a premium winter tyre for winter use. Perfect I'd have thought for year round use within a U.K climate, for a none performance orientated car like my 1.2tsi Leon.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Tyres are always a compromise. You just have to pick the set of characteristics you value. Unless you're tight and just buy the cheapest ;0)

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Don't forget the European regulations. Which to choose based on...noise / wet grip / economy? Stuff that what's the :censored: cheapest!

hertssjc

Jun 18, 2012
Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
If you search on YouTube there are many independent tyre comparison reviews and Maxxis tyres compare really well against premium brands.

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If you searc on YouTube there are many independent tyre comparison reviews and Maxxis tyres compare really well against premium brands.
Coincidently, I wanted four new tyres for my daughter's Toledo. I had four odd Chinese tyres on it! I searched for ages but the best buy I could find was still the Primetras. To get something better you need to spend a good bit more. Not many tyres at that price have an A rating for wet grip. If they do they are crap in other ways.

Not saying the Maxxis' are fantastic but they're a decent tyre for not much money.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Coincidently, I wanted four new tyres for my daughter's Toledo. I had four odd Chinese tyres on it! I searched for ages but the best buy I could find was still the Primetras. To get something better you need to spend a good bit more. Not many tyres at that price have an A rating for wet grip. If they do they are crap in other ways.

Not saying the Maxxis' are fantastic but they're a decent tyre for not much money.

Not sure when the test was carried out, but results published in April 2021 the Maxxis Premita HP5 came out ahead of Mich, Conti & Goodyear in a Swedish summer tyre test, Maxxis do appear to be onto something..

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Maxxis do appear to be onto something..
I think the point is that they are not really budget tyres. They are good tyres from a massive company which happens to not have much of a presence in the UK car tyre market. If they were advertised more, better known, I think they'd cost more.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.