Anyone else experienced this??

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hmm, if they'd parked it a street away to check for a tracker. I'd be ok having it back, on that occasion I think I'd rather they torched it when they'd finished with it.

Everything that makes it less appealing is a good deterrent. A lot of stolen cars are never seen again once they leave the owners driveway. Depending on how much you have to spend. At the least if you wanted it back, I'd get a tracker fitted. Something like Autowatch ghost or Clifford blackjax will either stop the engine being started. Or my preferred let them drive so far before the engine cuts out.

Reactions: Norbert

Dizz

Apr 12, 2019
The car is a lease, so I don't want to spend a lot, maybe gap insurance (to cover initial rental) would be an option with the disklok. I do live in low crime area, so don't know how much of a concern this is.

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
They broke into the house so presumably they had the keys and would also have the key for the disclock... it may slow them down but unless youre happy to get involved then they are likely to still be able to take it. But that said, extra deterrents are no bad thing.

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
And if the keys for the lock aren't on the car keys they'll just come back in and threaten you for them, it's only a car if they want to take it, let them, gap insurance is a good idea though

Reactions: SteveGSXR600K1

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
And if the keys for the lock aren't on the car keys they'll just come back in and threaten you for them, it's only a car if they want to take it, let them, gap insurance is a good idea though
And they will come and kill you for £5 another day. Just let them do...
government think same way.this will be the future?

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
I’ve said it before on other threads and I’ll say it here. Most car thefts, except on prestige cars, are carried out by oiks who just want to get into the car and be away. A big piece of steel is better than pretty much any technology - they don’t want to be faffing about trying to take a Disklok off. I’ve seen footage of oiks eyeing up an RS6 - right up until they spot the Disklok.........then they walked away. If you want to go belt and braces, fit a Ghost to your car which they won’t even know is on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Legojon

Cookie12

Mar 26, 2019
Simple thing is if they want it, they will take it. You just have to make it as hard as you can for them not to.

I've ordered a cupra lux and I'm getting a disklok and some faraday pouches. I agree that visual deterrents are more likely to put them off. They wont know about trackers and will worry about it later. Usually park the car up somewhere quiet and return a few days later and see if its still there.

If they walk up to it and see things like diskloks they are more likely to walk away.

If they dont, then like I said, if they want it enough they will take it by any means necessary and that will more than likely mean they resort to breaking into the house to get keys.

That's where I would draw the line, a car is not worth risking yours or your familys life. I can replace the car at the end of the day.

Reactions: xyz

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Back in the day, when your cortina key would start almost every Ford made, a hidden kill switch was pretty effective and only cost £2 with ten minutes to fit.

I used to add something visual, e.g. Disklok, to deter opportunists and help prevent the damage they do entering, only to find it won't start.

Reactions: xyz and Walone

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Back in the good old days when car stereos were easy to nick I took the time to properly install mine with the security bolt in the back. Some scrote broke into my car and when he couldn't get the radio out in a few minutes like usual he decided to stab it to death with a screwdriver!

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
Back in the good old days when car stereos were easy to nick I took the time to properly install mine with the security bolt in the back. Some scrote broke into my car and when he couldn't get the radio out in a few minutes like usual he decided to stab it to death with a screwdriver!

Funnily enough I had the same, my first car, they also pretty much destroyed the surrounding dash as well... after that I jus figured it was better for them to steal the stereo so just just the pins to fix the cage in, never happened again!

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Back in the day, when your cortina key would start almost every Ford made, a hidden kill switch was pretty effective and only cost £2 with ten minutes to fit.

I used to add something visual, e.g. Disklok, to deter opportunists and help prevent the damage they do entering, only to find it won't start.

I had a VW Jetta years ago - it was literally a 60 second job to pop the bonnet and whip out the rotor arm! Showing my age now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Funnily enough I had the same, my first car, they also pretty much destroyed the surrounding dash as well... after that I jus figured it was better for them to steal the stereo so just just the pins to fix the cage in, never happened again!

When someone broke into the next car and nicked the stereo he was later caught red-handed with a sports bag full of radios. My Sony head unit then mysteriously disappeared from the evidence locker at the police station and they just told me to claim on my insurance. The fuzz are as bad as the thieves!

caz95

Jan 6, 2019
Watched police interceptors on channel 5 this past Monday, there was a chase with an FR where the lads had broke into a house for the keys. Wouldn't of thought an FR would be as vulnerable to theft but scumbags will rob anything. This sort of thing happens atleast once a month on my estate, this is the town next to me:

I'd only ever consider an S3 or something along them lines if I could park it in a garage overnight, every night.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Ill be getting a disklok because its so visible, but if im not using the car for a day or 2, even overnight, ill just pull a relay, any one that will stop the car and is accessible. Keys or not, they arent going anywhere.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Watched police interceptors on channel 5 this past Monday, there was a chase with an FR where the lads had broke into a house for the keys. Wouldn't of thought an FR would be as vulnerable to theft but scumbags will rob anything. This sort of thing happens atleast once a month on my estate, this is the town next to me:

I'd only ever consider an S3 or something along them lines if I could park it in a garage overnight, every night.

I saw that episode too, and the Police BMW 3 series didn't find it easy to catch up with the Leon FR. Wondered which engine it was...perhaps the 2.0 190PS :).... tried desperately to check the rear discs to know for sure, but nada!