Service Cost Question (Cupra)

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
I don't lease/etc and plan to keep the car so change annually or when the mileage is up. If I did low mileage I might change MORE often unless I did regular long high-speed driving. Oil etc is reasonably cheap so I can't see the point of trying to save money on this.

Reactions: Tivver500

lesinge2k

Feb 18, 2009
Uttoxeter
(as an aside, what oil do they use when they service it? Is it the same whether it's on annual or long-life?)
I have a vague recollection of my servicing centre telling me they put the same oil in whether you're on the long service or the short service interval.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
I have a vague recollection of my servicing centre telling me they put the same oil in whether you're on the long service or the short service interval.
Wouldn't surprise me. Many a general garage will fill your car's supermini/family hatch/sports coupe/MPV or whatever sump from a bally
great drum of middling-quality 10W-40 regardless.
Cheap and easy for them as most punters don't know or care anyways.

Reactions: Legojon

Jimborosslato

Nov 12, 2018
Sorry to reignite this old thread. Just booked my Cupra in for it's first service. It's done 13500 miles so I assume it's on the long life intervals. I've been quoted £289 for oil service and an inspection. The inspection isn't due for another 6,000miles but the quote without an inspection was £259 so thought i might as well pay the extra.
This seems a bit steep to me - Is the price different for long life servicing?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
13,500 is way short of the 18,000 I would expect on long life, unless it's been driven really hard throughout or is two years old already?

The fixed price service costs are only for fixed interval services i.e annually or 10,000 miles, costs for long life are always variable as it depends what is due. It sounds like you've been quoted for a minor fixed service, not long life, as the inspection part shouldn't be optional.

You should be careful with dealers and servicing, they really don't care and you would need to have specifically asked for long life service quote.

DazFahy

Jan 29, 2019
Sorry to reignite this old thread. Just booked my Cupra in for it's first service. It's done 13500 miles so I assume it's on the long life intervals. I've been quoted £289 for oil service and an inspection. The inspection isn't due for another 6,000miles but the quote without an inspection was £259 so thought i might as well pay the extra.

Just had my cupra my19 first service at 15,500 miles. I paid £189 with a seat dealer, they change the oil on the service so you dont need the oil service. Definitely seems to expensive.

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010

Had my cupra st serviced back in January for a full service which was £289 that included inspection also. Service schedule for it stated year 3 for full service. So unless you want all filters and spark plugs replaced along with oil you could go for the fixed service £189 i think with oil and filter done.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I booked the £189 online @ seat.co.uk after the dealer told me the first service was £240 :cry:. I paid £189.

Reactions: Tivver500

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Wouldn't surprise me. Many a general garage will fill your car's supermini/family hatch/sports coupe/MPV or whatever sump from a bally
great drum of middling-quality 10W-40 regardless.
Cheap and easy for them as most punters don't know or care anyways.

I used to buy oil for the workshop, 1000litres at a time, quality oil from Total, manufacturers don't want engine warranty claims to deal with due to crappy oil in the sump, but at those quantities it comes cheap, probably cheaper than bottled water.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I used to buy oil for the workshop, 1000litres at a time, quality oil from Total, manufacturers don't want engine warranty claims to deal with due to crappy oil in the sump, but at those quantities it comes cheap, probably cheaper than bottled water.

Exactly, plus when some VW Group dealerships were using the same oil for short or long servicing, it would be long service oil that was being stored instead of both, so better oil than needed - unless you were unfortunate enough to be using a proper duffer main dealership.

Ford dealerships back in the mid eighties were dumb enough to fill cars with hydraulic tappets with old versions of oils and that caused some engines to end up with the hydraulic tappets pumping up, not best plan. I think that it was more an issue for the later Zetec engines than the CVH engines, I certainly gave buying engine oil from Ford dealers a miss when they failed to provide aftermarket stocks of oil to stop that issue with Zetec engines, luckily Comma Oils had that covered quickly!

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.