Jacking up your car

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Just saw these and thought they would be very handy for track days one would assume and for me when you need everything up when you have space on the drive lol

https://www.quickjacklift.co.uk/car-lift-systems/bl-5000slx-portable-car-lift.html
bl5000xl-portable-car-lift.jpg

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
That's what I thought lol

I think it's a good investment lol

@Legojon why don't you buy one and let me know...

@theoldboy is this something you could use for wheel changing after a track day?

So you see... I think they have to be bolted to the floor. Which then makes it illegal for a front driveway. I'd have a pit if it wasn't for the postman not looking where he's going!

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
So you see... I think they have to be bolted to the floor. Which then makes it illegal for a front driveway. I'd have a pit if it wasn't for the postman not looking where he's going!
I don't think so as it mentions no cross member so you can adjust the width you put the runs at and also says if you're Ocd and don't want it to dint your asphalt drive you can put ply wood underneath it...

Next question haha

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I don't think so as it mentions no cross member so you can adjust the width you put the runs at and also says if you're Ocd and don't want it to dint your asphalt drive you can put ply wood underneath it...

Next question haha

Oh ye. Shame cause a couple of years back I'd have just bought this. But now I think I'm faster with a trolley jack /axle stands. LOL. Easier to roll out as well. Assumingly you'd still need axle stands as its hydraulic? Therefore can fail. Or does it lock into place or summat?

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Oh ye. Shame cause a couple of years back I'd have just bought this. But now I think I'm faster with a trolley jack /axle stands. LOL. Easier to roll out as well. Assumingly you'd still need axle stands as its hydraulic? Therefore can fail. Or does it lock into place or summat?
It has some fancy locking thing as it goes up so supposedly cannot drop lol which is why I'd rather you tested it lol

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Thanks but i think I will stick with the old method.

Not sure they'd fit in the boot anyway.

It has some fancy locking thing as it goes up so supposedly cannot drop lol which is why I'd rather you tested it lol

It's the way I'd choose to go out! We're supposed to put our alloys under the sills as extra protection from it falling on us. Do the lecturers know how rare 19" Cupra alloys are!!

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Not sure they'd fit in the boot anyway.

It's the way I'd choose to go out! We're supposed to put our alloys under the sills as extra protection from it falling on us. Do the lecturers know how rare 19" Cupra alloys are!!
Would you rather lose a leg lol

Deleted member 103408

just get yourself an old mini or citron and install there hydrolic suspension to raise the car.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015

Although... you def couldn't put them in the boot.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012

Although... you def couldn't put them in the boot.
They do look pretty handy for the house though and you could use it on your drive... You could clean in all your wheel arches and back of your wheels easily lol

Life goals haha

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
They do look pretty handy for the house though and you could use it on your drive... You could clean in all your wheel arches and back of your wheels easily lol

Life goals haha

Bit expensive for washing the wheel arches. LOL.

I think the trouble is, it's competition is the trolley jack which is cheap, portable (doesn't need a power supply), easy to use and lifts just as high. Times when you need a ramp (taking out a gearbox, changing an exhaust) it doesn't seem to go higher than a trolley jack, so you'd still either be struggling or need to take it to a garage and use a proper ramp.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Bit expensive for washing the wheel arches. LOL.

I think the trouble is, it's competition is the trolley jack which is cheap, portable (doesn't need a power supply), easy to use and lifts just as high. Times when you need a ramp (taking out a gearbox, changing an exhaust) it doesn't seem to go higher than a trolley jack, so you'd still either be struggling or need to take it to a garage and use a proper ramp.
True story... I like like pushing buttons and things working instead of me doing actual manual labour... I'd rather save that for lifting my beer at the pub lol

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
True story... I like like pushing buttons and things working instead of me doing actual manual labour... I'd rather save that for lifting my beer at the pub lol

I'm also thinking.. oil changes are a pain for us because of the undershield. You could just screw it back on after sticking the filter and sump plug back on. But then if there's a leak 1:- it's harder to spot and 2:- you have to take the undershield back off. So effectively the other option is jacking the car up both sides twice! But for £1k I could have a lot of oil changes done for me.

Deleted member 103408

Yes but you cheat, you work where they have a proper bit of kit, I have had to sit in the car whilst reving the engine with it fully raised in the air felt like being in a big old lorry :)